Thread: Wanted

Wanted

Saw this movie over New Years and have to say it was a whole lot of brainless fun.

The bullet bending got a bit silly at times but I've seen worse gimmicks in action movies and the gunfight sequences were quite well coreographed. The end fight in the textile factory was exceptional.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

this movie was corny, i didnt enjoy it at all, the bullet bending thing was actually done by robert rodriguez first in desperado, if you watch the bar room scene you see antonio banderas's character whipping the gun in the commentary rodriguez stated he wanted to simulate as if the bullets were bending around corners. also i just felt it was to much cgi stunts and not enough real stunts.

Greetings,

I thought this film had interesting ideas but lacked the money to really make it happen. The guy that got taken out in the beginning had other abilities besides being able to curve a bullet, as was shown in the beginning. The talents of the others were never showcased. The best part of the movie, for me, was when Angelina Jolie stood between the guy and the carcass and forced him to concentrate on curving the bullet around her. Her look and her energetic presence was a knockout.

You guys may have seen this movie before. It is the fusion of two Shaw Brothers Classics:

- Avenging Eagle

- To Kill a Mastermind

mickey

Ignore the movie (except Assilina Jolie) and pick up the Wanted trade paperback. Much, much better. And the original.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I thought this film had interesting ideas but lacked the money to really make it happen. The guy that got taken out in the beginning had other abilities besides being able to curve a bullet, as was shown in the beginning. The talents of the others were never showcased.
    Mr. X was shown to have the same heightened reflxes and aim that the main character had due to his "massive adrenaline dump" and also appeared to demonstrate greater than human strength and a high pain threshold. Those could both also be explained with the same mechanism.

The only assassin with a non-shooting-guns MO was the butcher and he demonstrated no supernatural powers other than being good at hiding in a room full of pig carcases in which he worked regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Ignore the movie (except Assilina Jolie) and pick up the Wanted trade paperback. Much, much better. And the original.
    That's why I kinda hope they DON'T make a film version of the invisibles.

Then I remember that Grant Morrisson believes the matrix WAS a film version of the invisibles.

And I figure... well... it couldn't get much worse than the two matrix sequels.
    Last edited by SimonM; 01-07-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

WANTED the film and WANTED the graphic novel are very different in significant ways. I don't think the average movie goer could appreciate much of what happened in the GN unless they have a history of reading comics. So much of that GN is a deconstruction of many comic tropes and in all honesty I've read better. WATCHMAN at the top of the list and Millar's own run on THE AUTHORITY also surpassing it. However the artwork by J.G. Jones is as always excellent. Check out his MARVELBOY or BLACK WIDOW.

As for the Movie.. it was pretty fun. Falls apart pretty quickly if you look closely at it but I'm glad Jolie killed herself and just about everyone else. She even claimed this would her last "action-movie" so the suicide had a sort of meta quality.

As for THE INVISIBLES, apparently Grant Morrison has a screen play written that resolves any issues with THE MATRIX. I suppose we'll have to see how well We3 does in theaters before assuming anyone would be interested in a movie about 90's era psychedelic conspiracies. Just look at how poorly the new X-files film did.

Getting back to WANTED, sort of. I wonder how Bekmambetov's work on this movie will effect his work on the DAY/NIGHT/TWLIGHT WATCH trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    As for THE INVISIBLES, apparently Grant Morrison has a screen play written that resolves any issues with THE MATRIX. I suppose we'll have to see how well We3 does in theaters before assuming anyone would be interested in a movie about 90's era psychedelic conspiracies. Just look at how poorly the new X-files film did.
    We3?

Wazzat?

NM, found out.

All I gotta say is this:

Um... yeah... a loveable animal romp involving ultraviolence and no major adult human protagonists... oh boy.

File that under unfilmable.
    Last edited by SimonM; 01-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Simon McNeil