Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metallic Attraction Kung Fu Cyborg

china going sci fi

Perhaps, feeling upstaged by Hollywood in kungfu genre in the recent years, Chinese directors are responding with their answers to X-Men and Transformers. One is Future Cop, directed by Wong Jing, while another is Robot, directed by Jeffrey Lau.

First up is Wong Jing's 《未来警察》 Future Cop(s)(tentative), starring Andy Lau, Big S Barbie Hsu, Xu Jiao, He Jun Xiang, Zheng Yuan Chang, Guo Pin Chao, Chen Chien Chou, which begins production on November 10 in Beijing. The film will later move location to Taiwan and Hong Kong. Not being in a hurry, Wong Jing will not be rushing through post-production, and the film might not be out until 2010. Special effects will be handled by the team behind The Dark Knight.

Andy Lau says that with Ching Siu Tung as the action director, he will have many difficult stunts in the movie, and one of his appearances requires wearing some kind of Iron Man suit, complete with helmet.

Barbie Hsu is just too glad to work with Andy Lau. Both she and her sister Little S are big fans of Andy Lau and the envious Little S hopes to visit the set. Barbie Hsu will be also getting some fighting scenes.

In Future Cops, Andy Lau plays a cop from the future, 2185, while Xu Jiao plays his daughter, who's kidnapped and brought back to 2010. Andy Lau, traipsing through time, will have a cross-dimensional romance with present-day cop Barbie Hsu as they team up to find the kidnappers.

Jeff Lau's going to create what is touted as the Chinese kungfu version of Transformers - or rather Terminator - with 《机器侠》 Robot/Robotic Hero (tentative), his newest film that blends slapstick comedy, moving romance and scintillating kungfu with science-fiction. Producer Zhuo Shun Guo says, "The robot will feel very close, very familiar, very human to us, being the embodiments of Eastern wisdom and power."

Jeff Lau, who's been planning the film for 10 years, says, "I have always wanted to shoot an actual science fiction, I've always been thinking this middle-aged old man has not done any things good enough, but if there's a sci-fi world, if I could be there, could I have done it better?"

Set in the future, Robot, about a newly invented AI robot being planted secretly among the human population in a far-off village to assess its functionalities, will feature a number of fights between the good and bad robots, as well as towering skyscrapers scenes. Reportedly, the film will feature highly realistic CGIs, matching the standard of the live action version of Transformers. Budgeted at 100m yuan, Robot, the first film to be produced by the studio newly formed by Jeffrey Lau and LeTV.com, is eying a summer 2009 release.

The cast will only be announced when production begins on November 19 in Ningbo. Producer Zhuo Shun Guo says that as they wanted Robot to be a film accentuating Chinese characteristics and culture, they picked the utopia-like Ningbo's Zou Ma Tang village, built in AD 988, to be a major filming location. Other notable locations include Oriental Pearl Tower and World Financial Center in Shanghai. Shanghai Afternoon Post, Sohu, Beijing Evening News

I'll believe it when I see it.

I experienced a little deja vu when reading this -- Wong Jing already made a movie called Future Cops in 1993, also starring Andy Lau as a time-traveler. That movie was the epitome of Wong Jing crazy-goofy kitsch as the characters were all Street Fighter adaptations.

The Jeff Lau one sounds interesting, but hopefully it's not too slap-stick. I loves me some goofy comedy, and there have been some successful sci-fi/comedy projects in the past, but I think it's one of the genres that doesn't lend itself as well to that.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    what does that mean? you'll believe the movies when you see them?

I'll believe the realistic CGI like Transformers claims when I see it. Yes.

i agree, thats obviously a gross exageration.

It'll be fun to see what they mean by that though.

Metallic Attraction Kung Fu Cyborg

another film from wu jing, kung fu comedy robots doesnt sound that attractive to me but we'll see
    Jeffrey's Believe It or Not: Wu Jing is Not Human
    -- Robot --

Production of 《机器侠》 Robot, directed by Jeff Lau, has quietly begun production in Ningbo, Zhejiang recently. The cast includes Hu Jun, Sun Li, Wu Jing, Alex Fong Lik Sun, Ronald Cheng. This is a film that blends slapstick comedy and romance with advanced technology. Budgeted at around US$10m, the film features explosive battles between robots as well as between humans and robots, replete with special effects.

Jeffrey Lau says that the idea for A Chinese Robot came a bit later than A Chinese Tall Story. He has been formulating the outline of Robot in his brain for ten years, "I've always been affected by love stories. I've always been contemplating how to combine advanced technology with latest filming techniques. It's only after watching Transformers, which Hollywood did very well, did I make up my mind to shoot this film.

"It gave me a push, giving me another idea, our robots can be well-versed in Chinese kungfu. I requested my designers that the robots must not only be unique looking but also possess our unique oriental traits."

"Faye Wong always gives a cool look, but I uncovered her comedic side in Chinese Odyssey 2002. Everyone sees Hu Jun looks as a tough guy, but I see the childlike nature in him, that kind of comical feeling that no one else has explored. So, let me be the first.

"Sun Li plays Hu Jun's sister, she falls for a robot belonging to the nation, but she is not aware of his/its true nature. That kind of love is very moving ,very special. I feel that what makes a film memorable is the expression of one's attitude, approach towards love.

"Wu Jing will play another robot, his wushu skills coupled with advanced technological elements will show us something we've never seen in him before. In other words, I'll overturn all their previous images." Beijing Star Daily, Beijing Youth Daily

more robot info

Do Robot Fall In Love?
    -- Robot --
    Jeff Lau says that Robot succeeds the slapstick comedy and narrative style he employed in A Chinese Odyssey, but the major difference being various factors change with times. Robot is set against science-fiction backdrop, and robots in the film will not be restricted to just one or two. While the film will carry comical elements, romantic elements, and Jeff Lau elements, it will be very different from his earlier works, giving the audience an exciting novelty.

Jeff Lau says that Hu Jun plays a righteous hero robot, he picked him not just due to his hardy image, but also because he was moved by Hu Jun's crying scenes in Getting Home. Jeffrey Lau says that the robots may also be entangled in affairs of the hearts, "Hu Jun's love for Sun Li is unilateral, while Sun Li falls for a national robot.

"Actually, there are many happy and light-hearted situations in the movie, the romance is very moving, but it doesn't necessarily ends with 'And they live happily together ever after'. Love entails sacrifices, this is what true love is."

Wu Jing is not the main villain in the film, but rather an errant knight-errant robot, one that has committed a mistake, and he will get plenty of chances to flex his kungfu muscles. On being asked about the film, Wu Jing says that Jeffrey Lau is one with very high level wisdom, and he looks forward to having a wonderful collaboration with him and hopes to have more chances to work with him in the future.

The main cast Hun Jun, Sun Li, Wu Jing, Eric Tsang et al. will only be arriving in Ningbo on around December 14, and filming inauguration will be held in around middle of the month.

The story goes something like this: A national research department has just created a male AI robot programmed with various real emotions functions. To acclimatise the robot with humanity, the inventor sends him to Zou Ma Tang, an isolated village in Ningbo to live with the sheriff's family.

However, the robot and the sheriff's sister/daughter (Sun Li) develop feelings for each other over the course of time. To enable himself to be in relationships with human, the robot attempts altering his own routines, but things go wrong, resulting in various unexpected funny moments. The relevant department gets wind of this and sends four assassination robots after him.www.wu-jing.org

ok saw the english language trailer to this film. and like i said beofre it doesnt look attractive. in fact this movie looks gawd aweful, its a skip for me.

http://video.sina.com.cn/ent/m/c/200...83038326.shtml

the end of the trailer shows some cool cg stuff, but still. gonna wait to see this one. maybe an illegal download. just kidding...

That looks horrible.

Also, that's got to be the worst trailer I've ever seen.

im telling you. wow that was so bad. and the trailer my gawd.

Mysterious Taichi magic!

Oh man, how can you resist something called Metallic Attraction Kung Fu Cyborg?! This is a not-to-be-missed one for me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ill watch it. cause some stuff did intrigue me but **** that was such a bad trailer.

Thread title change

Doug, I totally have to update the title here from Robot to Metallic Attraction Kung Fu Cyborg. It's great to have you post the working titles as soon as you hear some buzz, but I like to keep things updated so threads have the actual release title. Plus I just can't resist Metallic Attraction Kung Fu Cyborg.

200 Mln Yuan Box Office Predicted for "Cyborg"
    2009-06-15 10:43:37 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Tian Tian
    By Liu Wei

The box office receipts for director Jeffrey Lau's superhero movie "Metallic Attraction: Kungfu Cyborg" are expected to reach 200 million yuan, or about 30 million US dollars, according to Wang Yuntian, an official with the production company 'Shanghai Film Group'.

The 10-million-US-dollar budget sci-fi comedy is full of CGI scenes and presents visual effects as good as "Transformer", Wang Yuntian said.

All the big-name cast members attended a press conference for the movie in Shanghai on Sunday. However, their thunder was stolen by a 'KX', a robot modeled on Bruce Lee.

"Compared with foreign superheroes, Mr. KX is more considerate," said Sun Li, who fell in love with the robot in the movie, "he knows what girls want and it's easy to love him."

But the super fighting robot ran into program errors whenever he tried to show affection, causing many comical incidents.

"Infernal Affairs II" actor Hu Jun, who is known for his previous tough-man character roles, tried his hand at comedy for the first time and played the love rival of the robot "KX".

"Metallic Attraction: Kungfu Cyborg" is set for Chinese release on August 13th and there will probably be a second installment next year.

"The movie is open-ended," said Sun Li, "the director has told me the story of the sequel, and I think it's a good one."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart