Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashes of Time

Ashes of Time

Hmm, I couldn't find an Ashes thread. It's time for one.

Wong Kar Wai takes 'Ashes' to 'Ashes'
    Jeff Yang
    Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's not a stretch to say that "Ashes of Time," which opens Oct. 17 in a lustrous, lovingly remastered new edition, is Hong Kong auteur Wong Kar Wai's most polarizing film. Those who love it, myself included, call it one of the classics of contemporary cinema. Those who don't dismiss it as confusing and soporific - and it's easy to see their perspective.

Its narrative is opaque; characters drift through its story line on skewed trajectories, intersecting briefly before sailing out of the camera's span of attention. It is the most languidly paced martial arts film ever made; the entirety of Sammo Hung's action choreography adds up to perhaps a dozen out of the film's 93 minutes.

Most frustrating of all, at least for audiences weaned on Hollywood formula, it has neither a real ending nor a true beginning: The film's main characters, martial artists by the name of Ou-yang Feng the Poison West (played with a hustler's grace by the late, great Leslie Cheung) and Huang Yaoshi the Evil East (a debauched Tony Leung Ka Fai), arrive unintroduced and leave almost unillustrated, as if the richest part of their stories lie still ahead.

But all of this is intentional on Wong's part. He conceived "Ashes" as a prequel to one of China's great pulp classics, Jin Yong's epic swordsman novel "Eagle Shooting Heroes." For Chinese viewers, Ou-yang Feng and Huang Yaoshi are like Superman and Batman, figures who hardly need introduction. "These are characters from the second-best-selling Chinese-language text in the world," says Wong, "second only to Mao Zedong's 'Little Red Book.' "

This alone would make "Ashes" interesting, even if it wasn't a must-see on its own merits, and it is - a work full of haunting dialogue and indelible imagery that demands repeated viewing. But there's more going on here than dazzles the eye. Made in 1994, the first film Wong shot under the auspices of his production company, Jet Tone Films, "Ashes" is a movie about transitions, capturing a set of legends in the frozen moment before they became legendary.

"The characters in 'Ashes' are all facing a series of dilemmas," says Wong. "They're at a decision point. They can choose to go forward or go back. But until they choose, they're stuck with nothing but memories. And memories" - Wong grins beneath his omnipresent sunglasses - "are a *****."
    Hong Kong is burning

Wong's works are more epochal, more resonant with the cultural moment, than those of virtually any other filmmaker, in part because of a creative process that draws heavily from his surroundings: improvised dialogue, spontaneous staging and narratives assembled in the editing room. So it isn't surprising that "Ashes" thematically reflects its environment - a society and industry poised at the brink of enormous change.

"Film to me has always been a way of showing where we are and where we can go," says Wong. "And when I look back at 'Ashes,' I feel it says a lot about Hong Kong cinema at that time."

In the early '90s, Hong Kong film was at its peak of popularity, its stars and creators at the height of their careers. But this burgeoning success contained the seeds of self-destruction. "In the '90s, we set the trends, we wrote the rules," says Wong. "But even then, it was clear to me that we had to be bolder and more aggressive - to not be afraid to not follow those rules."

And so with "Ashes," Wong embraced Hong Kong's most populist genre and then upended it, shattering its conventions. He took the era's best loved stars and pushed their personas to the point of distortion - for example, brilliantly reinventing the androgynous hero(ine) character Brigitte Lin made famous in movies like "Swordsman II" as a self-hating schizoid with dueling multiple personalities. The result was a work with its own dual personality - simultaneously an homage and a rebuke to an industry in danger of succumbing to complacency.
    Shifting seasons

The veiled admonition in "Ashes" proved prescient. By the 1997 reunification of Hong Kong with China, the cinema industry in the former British holding was waning, victim of its own creative bankruptcy. Many of its best and brightest had left to seek out new opportunities in the West or, like Lin, retired from showbiz.

One of the casualties of Hong Kong's cinematic decline was "Ashes" itself. "We didn't know how to properly preserve things then, and now, no original film version exists," says Wong, who calls "Ashes" his "abused child." "We had to revisit this film if we wanted to save it."

So Wong has spent two years seeking out copies of "Ashes," weaving together fragmentary pieces of celluloid memory into a document that preserves the past, but also out of necessity reframes it. "We couldn't do a 100 percent restoration," he says. "There are pieces missing, there are parts beyond repair; we were forced to make certain editorial decisions."

One of the decisions was to refocus the narrative into five chapters, each named after a phase in the Chinese almanac. "Chinese people have a very different sense of time from Westerners," says Wong. "In the West, time is a straight line; in China, time is a series of cycles that continue to repeat" - like the changing of seasons and the great wheel of incarnation.

The restored film begins and ends in Jingzhe, a season of blooming and rebirth, a cycle of renewal that matches Wong's own mind-set a decade and a half after the film's original release. It's his belief, after all, that the release of "Ashes," in its sleekly resurrected form, comes during another transition point for Wong and the industry that made him.

"We are at another historical moment for Hong Kong cinema," he says. "We now have access to the enormous audience of the mainland, 1.3 billion people, where three new theaters are being built every day. Our canvas is now much, much bigger. And I think our best days are still ahead."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Interesting... want to see this...

notes title, will have to hunt for a copy
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I remember...

...when I watched in a the theatre (when there was still Chinese theatres) where I live.

I understand that idea he had behind the movie and appreciate it since I grew up watching the television series back in the 80's.

I think it would have been way more impressive and geuine prequel if he actually used the story of the characters set out in the novel.

He was able to tell the story with the actual information background from the novels then I would think it would be much more creative. They he did it just seems like a story not really related (other than a few elements taken from the books).

I'm dying to see it again

When I first saw it, I hadn't read Jin Yong and didn't make the connection. Now I have a better idea about what this film was about.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hope this shows where I can see it

I hope I get invited to a screener next week...
    'Ashes of Time—: Classic film gets a makeover
    By Susan King
    Los Angeles Times
    Article Launched: 10/10/2008 12:00:00 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES — When the Asian financial crisis hit Hong Kong a decade ago, the lab where director Wong Kar Wai stored his prints went into bankruptcy.

On extremely short notice, Wong had to retrieve all his materials in just one evening. Much to his chagrin, Wong discovered that the lab hadn't been storing his prints in ideal conditions. His first independent production, the 1994 martial-arts epic "Ashes of Time," was in dire straits.

"When we checked all the material, 'Ashes of Time' was in a very bad situation because the film was actually in pieces," says the 50-year-old filmmaker ("In the Mood for Love," "2046"). "The negatives were soaked (with water) and had marks and scratches. We realized we would have to do something, otherwise the film wouldn't exist. We were forced to revisit the film."

While making other movies, Wong spent more than five years restoring and restructuring the cerebral martial-arts drama into "Ashes of Time Redux," which recently screened to warm notices at the Cannes and Toronto Film festivals, and opens locally Oct. 17.

In 1992, someone suggested to Wong that he read Louis Cha's martial-arts epic "The Eagle Shooting Heroes." The four-volume novel revolved around two elderly heroes, the Lord of the East and the Lord of the West.

"It was first published in the 1950s," Wong says. "It is like the second bestseller only to Chairman Mao's book. Generations of people have read this book. Now
    people consider it more than a martial arts novel. Some compare it to (serious) literature."

"The Eagle Shooting Heroes" had been adapted several times before for the screen. So Wong tried a different approach: He would do a prequel, presenting the two protagonists as young men.

The resulting film "was very controversial because it's not exactly what people would have imagined," he says. Revisiting these characters before they became lords, Wong determined "we would have more space for ourselves to figure out the story. I read in one article Cha said his inspiration for these two characters came from Shakespeare, so I grabbed everything I know about Shakespeare, westerns, Chinese martial arts and Japanese samurai films. It is more like Shakespeare vs. Sergio Leone, but in China."

The late Hong Kong actor and pop superstar Leslie Cheung ("Farewell, My Concubine") stars as Ouyang Feng, a mysterious man who lives in the Chinese western desert after he was rejected by the love of his life. Cynical and without remorse, he makes a living hiring swordsmen to do contract killings. He becomes known as the Lord of the East.

Tony Leung Ka Fai plays Huang Yaoshi, Feng's swordsman friend who visits him in the desert every year to tell him his adventures. He becomes the Lord of the West.

Although "Ashes of Time" was released in Asia and in France in 1994, it played only Chinatown cinemas in the United States. So when it came time for Wong to restore the film, it was difficult finding prints from overseas distributors.

Eventually he found usable materials at the Museum of Chinese History in New York, as well as a warehouse in San Francisco that belonged to an owner of a Chinatown cinema that had been shut down.

But even with this material, "Ashes of Time" wasn't complete.

"When we got all the material and looked at it, we realized a 100 percent restoration wasn't possible," he explains. "Part of the film was too bad to be restored."

The only way to salvage the film was to restructure the story. The original version, he says, is less straightforward than "Deux." "The film is now 10 minutes shorter than the original," he says. "We had to replace some of the parts with alternative takes."

And the film is now structured into chapters just as a novel. "We used other takes from the material (we had) to create a linkage (between chapters)."

Resurrecting "Ashes of Time" was an emotional experience for Wong, not just because of his memories of his frequent collaborator Cheung, who committed suicide five years ago at age 46 but also because "Ashes" was his first independent production.

"This was the only way you could make films you really believed in and cared about," he says. "It tells you a lot about Hong Kong cinema in the 1990s. It was one of the best moments ever. You can see the energy and possibilities. This is where we came from."

"Ashes of Time Redux"

Opening: Oct. 17
    Rating: R (violence)
    Cast: Starring: Leslie Cheung, Tony Leung Ka Fai, Brigitte Lin, Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung
    Director-writer: Wong Kar Wai
    Running time: 1 hour, 33 minutes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've only ever seen it in a really bad DVD transfer that I got from Netflix. I look forward to seeing it in a more presentable manner.

I wasn't even sure what I thought about it the first time I watched.

Hmm I'm really looking forward to seeing this remastered version as well. The version I saw years ago was a pretty crummy transfer as well. I do remember being pretty psyched to see this movie, as I was/am a huge WKW fan, although I have to say it was one of my least favorite of his films. Not so much because of the disjointed sequence of time (though it took more than 1 viewing to really digest what was going on), and certainly not because of the cast or acting -- it's probably the most star-studded of any of WKW's movies. I think it was just that the none of the characters really engrossed me or left a lasting impression.

I felt the same way about his last movie and Hollywood debut -- My Blueberry Nights. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed that movie and Ashes of Time -- they just weren't as enjoyable or entrancing as some of his others, like Happy Together, As Tears Go By, Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild, and In the Mood For Love. I'm also kind of bummed that WKW isn't working with cinematographer Christopher Doyle any more either -- I think he really helped to create those unforgettable and unique visual moods from WKW's earlier films.

I'm still going to check this release out on DVD -- maybe I will have a different impression of the film this go-round.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I'm actually not that into Wong Kar Wai...

...I know, I know, sacrilege. I respect his work but it's always seemed a bit overrated to me. Nevertheless, I'm eager to see this.

Here's the official REDUX trailer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To be honest, I've tried to introduce some of his movies to friends over the years and not many have gotten into them. His stuff can get quite melodramatic and there isn't much action or humor to be had -- the kind of movies where you sit there in silence and watch the spectacle of the characters falling apart. One thing I will say -- Christopher Doyle and WKW were masterful at using colors, angles, visuals to paint a mood and he really knows how to capture the unsaid -- Tony Leung in particular has always amazed me how expressive he can be with just facial expressions. Leslie and Maggie have had some really great roles as well over the years.

I have a hard time verbalizing why his stuff appeals to me -- I guess it's the cinematic equivalent to listening to Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" -- painful and yet poignant. Incredibly depressing and yet you shake your head in amazement at the same time.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

When they release Ashes "Redux" on DVD, I hope they include the original version, because I've never seen it. I think I saw the version that Zenshiite saw. Completely unwatchable. The worst picture quality I've ever seen.
    Last edited by jethro; 10-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I think you missed the point, jethro

Read the articles above. The original version was lost.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yeah I read it. Hopefully they can port over a good version so that people can see the original, and then see the redux. That's what I'm hoping for.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

An extremely mediocre review from my Alma Mater

He breaks the first rule of movie reviews - don't just synopsize the flick.

jethro - if WKW had a good version of the original, he wouldn't have had to do the redux.

Martial arts movie survives translation
    MOVIE REVIEW: 'ASHES OF TIME REDUX'
    Adam Browne
    Issue date: 10/14/08 Section: Student Culture

Hong Kong director Kar Wai Wong also wrote the screenplay for "Ashes of Time Redux," an action movie based on a novel called "The Eagle Shooting Heroes" by Louis Cha.

The film is a remake of a 1994 version, "Ashes of Time," as indicated in the end credits, recut, remastered and updated in 2008.

This is evident whereas parts of the film are clearly shot in a different, grainier film style.

Set in the Gobi Desert in China long ago, the movie tells the sad tale of a lovelorn assassin who has gone into the wasteland because he has lost the woman he loved.

He and a friend decide to have one last meeting together, where his friend tells him about a wine that can erase memory. Then one of them takes the wine, forgets all about the other man and wanders off into the unknown.

The narrative is split into seasons, beginning on the night of a mysterious solar eclipse and it's illustrated with vibrant color and sepia-toned flashbacks; the harsh, sand-swept desert; rushing torrents of rain and bright days and cool, dark nights shot in moonlit colors.

Apparently, the assassin's friend was in love with his brother's wife, and they had an affair, ending in him leaving for another land. Then the friend wanted him dead for cheating on him.

In the desert town much later, the assassin was living alone, and he learns that bandits are attacking a village nearby.

And since he acts as a middleman for hiring other people to kill for him, he offers the job of killing the bandits to a passing stranger who is a swordsman.

The stranger apparently came into the village on his own, where he met a girl with a donkey and a basket of eggs, who wanted revenge on the group of bandits for the death of her brother.

In another instance, a woman pretends to be a man to gain the trust of the assassin and falls in love with him, is rejected and goes into hiding.

It turned out that she was an expert with the sword also, so much so that she can make water fly out of the sea by where she lives, as though she controls the sea with her sword. This doesn't seem to go anywhere so I suspected it was a dream.

The woman ends up not fighting anyone, which was unfortunate because there was so much buildup for her character.

Much of this movie was symbolic, so there were times that it was hard to tell what was a dream, a symbol or an actual event.

It also made more sense seeing information in the end, and in the narrative and credits, indicating this was actually a remake of an earlier work the director was attempting to make cohesive and whole with a different formula.

As for gore effects, this movie has plenty, including a few decapitations, a finger-severing scene and various hacking and slashing sword fights.

The narrative, though, was not all action. The acting was in Cantonese, so I had no way to critique the acting.

As for the emotional context, it was quite dramatic, and there were long periods of talking, but what they said was subtitled in interesting ways, so it flowed well.

The U.S. studios should never dub this into English because it would probably be obscured considerably. Western production companies have problems getting good dubbing on foreign films, especially from Hong Kong.

I'd probably rent it again just to clear up what was going on because with all the flashbacks and the use of original and new footage, it was hard to tell at times who was talking to whom and why.

Since it was a Chinese movie with English subtitles, there was something lost in translation, but it was a good film.

*This movie is scheduled to open in the Bay Area on Friday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This version looks pretty good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKv0Mu72r4

They could port that over. I just want it on my TV screen. I hate watching movies on youtube.

Ashes to ashes...

Ashes has already left our local theater - only a one week run. I think it's still playing in S.F., but I'm not going to be able to get up there to see it.

Reviewed by James Bond! Just kidding...

‘Ashes of Time Redux'
    By Roger Moore
    10/27/2008

The Orlando Sentinel (MCT) - In Hollywood, directors used to earn their stripes by tackling that archetypal American genre, the Western. In China and Japan, martial arts epics fill that bill.

Before he made his mark "Chungking Express" and the quieter-than-quiet melodramas "In the Mood for Love," "My Blueberry Nights" and the interminable "2046," Wong Kar Wai took a shot at making his "Chinese Western." "Ashes of Time," a brooding, naturalistic prequel to the four-volume "The Eagle Shooting Horses" novels, came out in 1992, a slash-and-spatter martial arts piece that plays like a Chinese imitation of a Samurai Western. Now he's dusted it off, edited it, cleaned up the colors and given it a new score.

But if you're in the mood for a martial arts actioner, be warned. Even back then, Wong Kar Wai was in the mood for love. And talk. Lots and lots of talk. "Ashes of Time Redux" is all mood and narration and gorgeous images and extreme close-ups of very pretty actors, but precious little action.

In the deserts of China's lawless past, Ouyang Feng (Leslie Cheung) lives alone, a killer for hire. Once a year, his friend and fellow swordsman Huang Yaoshi (Tony Leung Ka Fai) visits. One year, he brings magical wine with him, wine that takes away your memories, both the painful and the wistful.

Ouyang recalls the woman who broke his heart, and we meet Yin and Yang of Huang's womanizing past. Murong Yang wants to hire Ouyang to kill Huang. And his sister, Murang Yin (Brigitte Lin), wants Ouyang to kill her brother for keeping her from her man.

There's a lot of confusing business with other swordsmen showing up, bandits slaughtered and haunting memories recalled and then forgotten. Some characters seem cribbed from Japanese Samurai tradition (the blind swordsman), and all are so under-explained as to make the viewer impatient for another blurred, impressionistic sword-fight. Lacking the literary context to it all is like trying to make sense out of "The Phantom Menace" without ever seeing the earlier "Star Wars" movies.

"Ashes of Time Redux" may be higher-minded than your average Drunken Master/Monkey Fist martial arts quickie. It's also a lot less entertaining. And Wong Kar Wai seems considerably more out of his depth than other Chinese filmmakers who have slummed in the martial arts genre. This can't compare to Chen Kaige's "The Emperor and the Assassin" or Yimou Zhang's "House of Flying Daggers."

But for some reason, "Ashes" has been restored and is earning a wide U.S. release. Considering the source, be grateful. He could have re-issued "2046."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips