Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man with the Iron Fists

The Man with the Iron Fists

RZA mentioned something about this to me at the last HHCF event about this. I don't think has anything do to with the comic Iron Fist.

RZA: 'Bobby Digital' To Live On In Comics, Films
    June 27, 2008 , 3:15 PM ET
    Gary Graff, Detroit

It took RZA seven years to get back to Bobby Digital. Now, if he has his way, we'll be seeing a lot more of the character.

In the wake of this week's release of "RZA as Bobby Digital: Digi Snacks," the Wu-Tang Clan leader tells Billboard.com that "I'm gonna continue to build the character with films, comics ... I hate to sound so business-push with it, but I see Bobby Digital as being a potential franchise for hip-hop. He ain't too watered-down. He ain't too soft. He ain't too good. He's got a little bit of everything in him that people can relate to, so I'm gonna try to develop him like that. I think he will have more adventures."

RZA -- who wraps up his "Digi Snacks" tour July 8 in Washington, D.C. -- says that may include resurrecting the Bobby Digital film he started making after the release of 2001's "Digital Bullet." "I found the old films, the old artwork, everything," he says. "They're low-budget films, but they've got a vibe to them and I think they offer the hip-hop community something. When I was first doing it, it felt like I could've had a bigger budget, but now it feels like a classic."

That said, Bobby Digital may have to wait in line behind a number of other projects in RZA's typically jammed qeue. He's completing the first album by ACHOSEN, his band with System Of A Down bassist Shavo Odadjian. He's also producing several new albums, including one for Wu-Tang mate Raekwon. RZA has developed a martial arts film with Hollywood pal Eli Roth called "The Man with the Iron Fist," which he says has "the blessing" of his "teacher," Quentin Tarantino, and he collaborated with Hans Zimmer on the score for the forthcoming Vin Diesel science fiction film "Babylon A.D."

He also hopes to complete "The Cure," which he says will be his final solo album, in the near future. As for Wu-Tang Clan, RZA says that he hopes a European tour slated for July will yield some ideas for a new project.

"Usually when we get together on those types of tours, we get to be together with our friends and buddies and we get a chance to talk and figure out if there's any energy left in us to go do what we want to do," RZA explains. "We have to see what we've got in terms of talent, energy, sensibility ... whatever it takes. So we'll see what we got out there on the tour."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on MwtIF

Told ya it wasn't Iron Fist.
    Eli Roth Reveals More on RZA's Directorial Debut - The Man with the Iron Fist
    July 6, 2008
    Source: CHUD
    by Alex Billington

Barely two days ago we reported that Eli Roth and Wu-Tang Clan's RZA would be working together on a martial arts movie called The Man with the Iron Fist. In short time, CHUD caught up with Eli Roth and asked him about the production. Roth revealed some enticing details, including that this would be RZA's directorial debut after studying Quentin Tarantino for years and that it would be undoubtedly a bloody R rated martial arts extravaganza. I was initially already quite excited for this, but now I'm even more excited - this is going to kick some serious ass. Apparently RZA has an encyclopedic knowledge of martial arts flicks and this is his dream project that will feature "everything martial arts fans could want."

To clarify, this has nothing to do with Marvel's superhero named Iron Fist, as an adaptation of that character is in development elsewhere. RZA's The Man with the Iron Fist is an entirely separate project that he wrote himself and is directing. Here is what Eli Roth said about the production.

Yes, it is true. RZA's script is amazing. He has been studying directing with Tarantino for years and he's really ready to get behind the camera. His impact on rap music and hip hop culture cannot be measured, and he's ready to add his own unique style and vision to the world of film. This movie will have everything martial arts fans could want, combined with RZA's superb musical talent. This project has been his dream for years, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. And fans should know that yes, there will be blood… This ain't no PG-13.
    As I mentioned originally, The RZA had quite a bit of involvement with the soundtrack on the Kill Bill movies and I can only imagine that was where and when he began studying Tarantino's techniques. It doesn't sound like RZA is going to mimic what Tarantino does, but rather attempt to bring his own unique style and vision to this film in combination with his immense appreciation for martial arts films. I'll reiterate this yet again: with Roth, Tarantino, and RZA all influencing this project, it definitely has the potential to be amazing. We'll be sure to update you once we hear anything else, including when it's expected to start production. Does Roth's update get you more excited for The Man with the Iron Fist?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i'll be watchign for this film. i remember two of the fight choreagraphers who i worked with. use to work with RZA as they were shi yan mings students(i use laugh cause they were hispanic with egrman names which was just to funny to me for some reason) but anyway they use to do these little short films with RZA, and they told me they all looked pretty good. so hopefully this is going to kick some ass.

RZA viral markets well

It's the hipness of a true hip hop pioneer, I suppose. So far, little new to the story, just rewrites of the original press release.

RZA and Eli Roth creating a martial arts film
    By Sean Gandert
    on July 10, 2008 11:14 AM

We all knew RZA had a thing for Kung Fu films, but aside from the unexplained behind-the-scenes YouTube coverage, no one really expected to see him make one. Which isn't to say we didn't wonder what the Wu-Tang mastermind could do, though. Lucky for everyone, it looks like we may just get a chance after all.
    Billboard has word that RZA is working with Eli Roth (Hostel) on a martial-arts film called The Man with the Iron Fist. According to them, the project has the "blessing" of his mentor Quentin Tarantino, who is also likely who introduced the two filmmakers since RZA wrote music for Kill Bill and Roth provided a trailer for Grindhouse.

Who knows when RZA will get around to it, though, as he's also working on finishing up his Bobby Digital feature and planning on expanding the character into a multimedia franchise. He's also working on an album with System of a Down bassist Shavo Odajian, producing an album by Raekwon and hoping to finish up his solo album The Cure. Yeah. It could be a while before we see things begin to coalesce, but for a true fusion of Wu-Tang and kung fu, we're willing to wait.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just wanted to keep this movie

i remember this video as one of the illest vids back in the day:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CE3hb__ylG4

heres another one featureing long time shi an ming student bookeem woodbine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrT2GBJMM-U

Like I said, RZA viral markets well...

...even through us. Check out RZA on Iron Fist, the Last Dragon and Barack Obama by Gene Ching.

What's more, I'll give you a little teaser on this. I've been experimenting with diptychs and triptychs in my writing, cutting across our print and web platforms. I published a triptych with Cung Le's Strikeforce Championship: Panel #1 Panel #2 Panel #3

And I have another diptych going now. Here's panel #1. Panel #2 will appear in our next issue, on the newsstands December 4, 2008. This might evolve into a triptych if a certain person follows through.

This RZA piece is panel #1 of a triptych. Stay tuned.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

an excuse to ttt this

Anyone else planning to go to Wu-Tang Clans' Grand Ballroom show in S.F. this Wednesday?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-tang mother****ers!!!

I had a great time at the show last night. RZA hooked me up with all access passes. There was some microphone issues, which sucked. RZA stopped the show at one point and berated the sound man because there wasn't enough clear mikes to go around. But the show was awesome. RZA dominated like the head of Voltron. He can pump up a crowd like no one else. Inspectah Deck and GZA were on fire. The free rap stuff was amazing. Wu skillz are massive. Check in with the 8 Diagrams tour when it comes to your 'hood. They're playing a lot of intimate clubs, which is where hip hop really shines IMO.

I got to hang with RZA backstage after for a while. We talked movies, of course, and killed a bottle of Patron. He let me in on a lot about how Iron Fist is going - nothing I can publish yet because nothing was firm - but I'm now VERY EXCITED about this project.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene lives a charmed life.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I had a great time at the show last night. RZA hooked me up with all access passes. There was some microphone issues, which sucked. RZA stopped the show at one point and berated the sound man because there wasn't enough clear mikes to go around. But the show was awesome. RZA dominated like the head of Voltron. He can pump up a crowd like no one else. Inspectah Deck and GZA were on fire. The free rap stuff was amazing. Wu skillz are massive. Check in with the 8 Diagrams tour when it comes to your 'hood. They're playing a lot of intimate clubs, which is where hip hop really shines IMO.

I got to hang with RZA backstage after for a while. We talked movies, of course, and killed a bottle of Petron. He let me in on a lot about how Iron Fist is going - nothing I can publish yet because nothing was firm - but I'm now VERY EXCITED about this project.
    **** gene i thought i bragged alot. i'm actually jealous, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f uck with. was literally the first rap song i ever really listened too. and all i thought was what kung fu movies mixed with rap, this has got to be the best and i have ben a fan every since. im truly jealous gene ching, **** you.lol

we should start catologing every time Gene uses the 'cool' smiley face.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

But I hate Patron...

...and RZA has learned the art of Chinese hard liquor drinking fu. He poured some tall shots, did the old Chinese two-hand toast, and refilled my cup as soon as it was drained. He could have kicked my ass drinking. He did it before when we were in China. But he was merciful and gave me that Chinese 'out' to save face. "You can sip this one. This is a sipper."

Before the Patron, RZA put down a magnum of champagne during the performance (although he did spray some on the audience). Hip Hop zuiquan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stop, it's a booby trap

RZA headlined at the Mezzanine in S.F. last night. Didn't take the stage until 11:30. He called me back for a pre-show chat (and more Patron - his drink of choice now ). He said that he was just at some sort of wrap party for Inglourious Basterds the night before and now Tarantino and Roth are free to bring their full attention to The Man with the Iron Fist.

Wound up talking some film (RZA wasn't hip to Ip Man yet) and we went off on Zohan and Benjamin Button (two films I haven't seen yet). It was fun but my god am I paying for it this Monday morning. I'll be really paying for it at practice later on tonight...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

awwww patron with a hip hop legend

poor gene.lol, sounds like u had fun. go see Benjamen it was awesome. as for zohan it was ok i guess.