Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun TV series

Wing Chun TV series

Seems to be a Wing Chun TV series on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLKX...eature=related

vid clips

So that vid clip comes from a movie, Legend of Twin Dragons, based upon the shenanigans of Leung Bik:

http://shop.hkdvdstore.com/product_i...ducts_id/27038

What do people think? A complete sack of sh*t? Or entertaining? Certainly they have done a good job making WC look decent on screen, albeit not as efficient as it could be sometimes.

There's another Wing Chun based series, TVB Real Kung Fu, some good clips on Youtube too. Again, Yuen Biao stars doing Wing Chun in it. Just out of curiosity, Yuen Biao did attend the same opera school as Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, who did Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung learn Wing Chun from?

Cheers

think sammo hangs around leung ting. dont know if he learnt it there though

Quote Originally Posted by UKBBC View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Yuen Biao did attend the same opera school as Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, who did Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung learn Wing Chun from?
    I would have to guess that it was initially from Sifu Yu!

Canton Opera was, and still is I believe, a melting pot for all styles and families of Martial Arts. Very similar to the old Red Junks. It is known that Sifu Yus school was very strict and that he favoured the Wing Chun style. Sammo is apparently the Sihing here, so it would be best to ask him if he learnt from Leung Ting! IMO, I really don't think so.

There were numerous Martial Artists around the Canton area when Jackie and the gang were learning, especially Wing Chun practitioners. What I've 'heard' is that they may have a Jiu Wan/Chiu Van connection similar to Ti Lung and Lee Hoi Suen.

Realistically though, it may have all come from Sifu Yu himself.

FACT! Sifu Yus students carried his own name and Sammo/Jackie and a few others dropped their 'nicknames' when they started to get recognized. Yuen Biao is one of the few left who is still using the name given to him by his Sifu. Others include Corey Yuen and famous director Yuen Wo Ping!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 12-19-2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Sifu Yuen to Sifu Yu CORRECTION!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I thought it looked familiar...

Just checked out the 'movie' and confirmed my suspicions.

This is an edited version of the TV Series Mr Jan from Fatshan, which is over 40hrs long and quite old now.

Check out what Phillip Ng had to say about it on one of his forums:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/bbs/view....php?tid=12266
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Cheers!

That's good info, never really knew what their lineage was, and with them being HK's golden sons, what kind of role they played in the rise of Wing Chun in HK. It's a shame, between Bruce Lee, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, you would've thought they could've really promoted Wing Chun in movies decades ago.

I think they did! Haven't you seen Prodigal Son?

I am surprised that this thread isn't so busy though, as this series touches on some controversial aspects of Leung Jans life. Albeit it's typical HK drama, but to openly tell a story which includes Leung Bik, I thought, would stir some sort of discussion!

Didn't Ip Man learn from him? I've heard that his life is being documented right now for a movie of some sort. Soon we'll have a Trilogy!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 12-13-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Well, before this, there was The Prodigal Son and Wing Chun with Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen, I can't really think of any more WC related films than those 2.

I guess this film has the potential to stir up a political hornet's nest regarding some lineages from Leung Bik and Chan Wah Shan - from what I see, the YJKYM stance is quite well represented in this series.....but then, who ever said the writers were out to create a historically correct piece of work...

I was thinking more along the lines of the few branches that consider that Leung Bik was not a real person!! He never even existed according to some families!! Fact is, if he did exist, it's quite clear from the movie/series that he was not of the right character to teach, according to his Father. Although he had a very distinct 'talent'.

And please don't tell me that Prodigal Son/Wing Chun are the only 2 movies you consider to be Wing Chun movies!! What about 'Warriors Two', 'Knockabout' or 'Magnificent Butcher'?

Talking of Warriors Two, you may wanna check this clip out! Believe me, it's worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Tokoj9Bcg
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Real Kung Fu aka Fatshan Leung Jan

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of the few branches that consider that Leung Bik was not a real person!! He never even existed according to some families!!
    Leung Bik's birth should have been registered with his clan temple (tze tong/ci tong) back in Gulao/Koolo. There really shouldn't be any ambiguity about his existence.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Just checked out the 'movie' and confirmed my suspicions.

This is an edited version of the TV Series Mr Jan from Fatshan, which is over 40hrs long and quite old now.

Check out what Phillip Ng had to say about it on one of his forums:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/bbs/view....php?tid=12266
    I have the series Mr. Jan from Fatshan. It's only 20 episodes. The series "Wing Chun" that you're refering to is different and has 40 episodes (40hrs), which I also have. I posted a link to view the whole 20 episodes of Fatshan Leung Jan aka Real Kung Fu on this thread.
    I also have an old HK TV series from the 80's called "Lady from Shaolin" on VHS. At least, I think that the title. It's about Wing Chun herself. I think I'll dig it out and convert it to DVD.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 12-14-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I found it. It's Formidable Lady From Shaolin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXeC...eature=related
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I found it. It's Formidable Lady From Shaolin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXeC...eature=related
    I remember that - the joys of TVB via VHS tapes!

OMG Phil,

You Sir, are a star! Thanks for the link, that's going to be my entertainment over the holidays!