Thread: The Kung Fu Magazine Shaolin Special

The Kung Fu Magazine Shaolin Special

I start this thread after reading through this months special on Shaolin, and I have to say it was the most interesting read I've had in ages!

I am an avid collector of Martial Arts magazines, including UK publications like Combat & MAI but the trends seem to be focussing more on MMA nowadays, so I tend to look overseas for the latest in Chinese Martial Arts as you are pioneers in this field.

Well done to everyone who worked on this fantastic issue! I found the article on Hai Deng to be enlightening and an enjoyable read. What a legend...

KFM's MMA obsession

Why is it almost every article in the Shaolin issue feels compelled to contrast it's content with MMA?

Fair question, MK

Given the current popularity of MMA, it's difficult to do anything in the martial world without keeping it in context of MMA. I find the contrast of Shaolin is particularly interesting because it has this aura of traditionalism (which is mostly projections based on myth) when in fact, Shaolin must exist in modern society too. So Shaolin grapples (pun intended) with all sorts of crazy modern issues - part and parcel of being a medieval monastery trying to stay relevant today. In America, MMA is the modern context. So in a sense, at least for the context of this issue, Shaolin represents TCMA and that stands in contrast with MMA. Obviously, given the TCMA vs MMA, Shaolin in UFC, etc ad nauseum, threads here, that's a hot topic. You can think of it as a writer's hook - a way to grab the reader's attention quickly. For me personally, it broaches some very important questions.

I've been working on getting some Shaolin monks to address the old Shaolin in UFC question - in fact, I did some preliminary interviews for this Shaolin issue, but it didn't flesh out very well. Still chipping on that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The real question you should be asking is....when is a monk going to fight MMA?

Funny story about this issue, let me set the scene:

I was warming up before class at the park, my sifu arrived shortly after, and ran down the staircase to the pavilion screaming "I made it in KFM!!" Of course I'm thinking "Woah! This is awesome! My sifu's gonna be famous!" Then sifu pulls out the Shaolin issue, flips to a Taiji Legacy ad and says "Loooook.... right there! Those are my legs! They put Sifu Heintzman's picture over my body, but those are definitely my legs!"

-.-

We had a good 15 minute laugh, thanks again KFM! XD
    Mark

should a shaolin monk enter mma??

well wouldn;t that go against there beliefs? whatever as far as i'm concerned if he really knows tradtional kung fu a monk would be really hindered in a mma fight. because once you put a kung fu guy off his feet his power is gone. that where that ground stuff comes in handy. but who knows the shaolion guy might knock the **** out of his openant when the match starts. like them old tyson fights. never go past the first round.

Chances are if a monk had a fight, he'd be one of those terrible corrupt-ass monks and make a mockery of CMA. Just sayin'
    Mark

you mean like shi gou lin??

alegedly anyway. i would love to see his fat ass in a mma match.

First you have to define what you mean by 'monk'

Most people want to see a stereotypic robed Buddhist monk fight MMA and that's unlikely. However, if you include former monks or just Shaolin graduates, we may see that soon. There's been a growing movement of MMA in China and there are plenty of fighters that come out of Shaolin. They aren't necessarily monks, but they carry the Shaolin tradition. I'm hopeful that China will catch on to MMA - that'll open the door for something like this to happen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If they enter MMA, they would not last with well trained professionals!
    The Shaolin monks are well trained acrobatic professionals.

The international sanda guys, however are MMA material.

There are sanda monks

The sanda monks aren't seen so much. They don't go on the tours, but they are there to accept challenges. Every school at Shaolin has its fighters. You just don't see them unless you challenge.

The international sanda guys have a difficult time negotiating MMA because it's two different games. I've addressed some of the fundamental strategic differences in my articles, the most recent being MMA & PRC: Master Tony Chen and Zou Guojun Mix Chinese Fighters and MMA in our 2007 September/October issue. I have another on the way, as do a few more of our contributors. Keep reading.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

cant wait til a shaolin monk/warrior monk/disciple enter the MMA ring and whoop them professonal ass so people can stop clowning on shaolin...
    hopefully it one of good skills.....and doesnt get his ass whooped either
    hahaha

Smile big topic

i honestly don't care one way or the other weather they do or don;t win or lose it won;t change my out look on kung fu not in the least. for one simple fact it works for me. i'm tired of people saying whats effective or ineffective, hey i once saw a guy butterfly kick a dude right in his chops and knocked him out, i remeber standing there slacked jawed amazed at 1)the speed in which he did it nad 2)the fact that he did what i consider a move that'll get you killed.

honestly i like the idea of cross training i've done it for years, but every branch needs a foundation without foundation you can't last long as a martial artist, also everyone knows that when you get something fast and easy you will lose it just as fast and just as easy. lets not confuse what works in a ring or octogon or cage whatever the hell with what may or may not work in a real situation. main is reason is that mutha fu cka's fight dirty i mean real dirty, guy fight with razor blades between there hands and all types of ****, you gonna grapple with a guy who once he touches you he will rip your skin open you gonna let his hand get close to your arteries so the guy can rip your juggular?i'm not making this up or just trying to prove a point just saying, in the rings there are rules in the streets there aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    in the rings there are rules in the streets there aren't.
    and that why kung fu is the one the most dirtiest art with a lot of biting, poking, nut shots, and etc. that why i think kung fu best prepare you for the street it studied well and properly.

how would a MMA practicitoner react if someone bit him in the street during a grapple? probably stunned and not know what to do, since he was never taught to defend a bite. even if he is skilled, he will be shocked he got bit, but it will take a few second to recovery from the stun, and within a few sec. a lot can happen in a fight.