Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin: Temple of Zen: Photographs by Justin Guariglia

Shaolin: Temple of Zen: Photographs by Justin Guariglia

Check out this new book coming from Aperture:
    Shaolin: Temple of Zen
    Photographs by Justin Guariglia
    Essay by Matthew Polly

Justin contributed the cover photo for our newest Shaolin Special, our Nov/Dec 2007. We'll have more to come on this very soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks, Gene:

How does this compare to what the Buddhists in Rangoon are doing tonight?

Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

The Buddhist in Rangoon are a totally different topic

It probably deserves it's own thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sorry, Gene. I certainly did not mean to throw cold water on a topic or incur "thread drift". My only concern is that I sometimes get the feeling that terms such as "Shaolin", "Buddhism" and "monks" often get relegated to the level of "window dressing".

The practice of Buddhism is predicated on a great deal more than simply dressing-up in robes or wearing a mala around one's neck. Buddhist monks, whether Hinayana or Mahayana seek to guide people by their own example as provided for in such writings as the Monastic "108 Injunctions". To identify a person or oneself as a "monk" is to say that one has chosen to lead an exemplary life within a sangha or "community". The monks I mentioned currently being arrested, beaten and shot in Rangoon are living an ideal in service to their community. I think it would be tragic to allow people to imagine that the term "warrior-monk" as found in the write-up you cited automatically entails exotic postures and aerial kicking. In the Buddhist faith, oddly enough, the most "heroic action" is often electing NOT to act, but to persevere. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Don't judge a book by it's cover

You should take a closer look at this book when you get the chance. The cover has an aerial kick, granted, but it's from Shi Deyang, who is a traditional practitioner. The photographer, Justin Guariglia, went to great lengths to focus on what he considered to be authentic monks and traditional practitioners, not the performance wuseng that are featured in most of the Shaolin material you see nowadays. You should take a look at Matt's book too. These aren't window dressings. These are very intriguing looks behind the bamboo curtain, much different than what has preceded.

Clearly, the Burma situation is dire and China is a major factor. I'm surprised you didn't post any resources. Concern is reflected through action.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Free Shaolin Demonstration

Hello everyone!

We have a special treat this month - Shaolin Monk Shi De Chao is visiting from China and photographer Justin Guariglia is sharing photos from his new book Shaolin: Temple of Zen. This book was just released and is currently featured in the November/December issue of Kung Fu Magazine. The forewards to the book were written by Abbott Shi Yong Xin & Matthew Polly, author of American Shaolin.

This free three-hour event will be hosted by our good friends at Fighthouse in Chelsea (Manhattan), and the whole family is welcome. Please let everyone know.

Bring your copy of Shaolin: Temple of Zen and both Justin Guariglia and Shi De Chao (using Chinese calligraphy) will sign it for you. If you have not already purchased your copy of this wonderful book, there will be a limited number of copies available for sale on Sunday.

* Talk & Slideshow by author and fine art photographer, Justin Guariglia
    * Demonstrations by Shi De Chao, including:
    o Qigong
    o Empty Hand Form
    o Weapon Form
    o Calligraphy

When: Sunday October 21, 2pm-5pm

Where: Fighthouse, 122 West 27th Street, 2nd floor (between 6th & 7th Avenues) New York, NY 10001 (212) 807-9202

Cost: Free! Bring your friends and family!

I look forward to seeing you there!

Joshua

Joshua Craig
    Artemis Seminars
    www.artemis-seminars.com
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    Last edited by Artemisalive; 10-16-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added a sentence

Sun Oct 21 @ 2pm! Free Event: Demonstrations, Talk, Slideshow & Booksigning

If you are at all interested in Shaolin or this book, it does not get better than this. Three hours of demonstrations, slideshows and talks...

Fighthouse - 122 West 27th Street, 2nd Floor...2pm.

See you tomorrow!

Joshua

unfortunately I missed Shi De Chao's visit- I would have liked to have seen him...maybe later in the week.

The book looks great, I like the mudra shots.

Dechao goes back to China tomorrow

However, you can get a piece of him. He autographed some books, along with Justin Guariglia, which we are offering for our web sweepstakes over the next two months. These came out really nice and we're very pleased to offer them. Our thanks to Justin, Dechao and all the good people at Aperture.

The sweepstakes are online now, but the contest doesn't start until Friday, so don't enter until then.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I still have to buy the book by Matt Prolly. I have to get this one now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

How can you tell which Shaolin monks are doing real martial arts and which are wushu?

Are the people in this Album genuine?
    http://www.cgcmall.com/Shaolin_Kung_Fu_p/b00shao.htm

The SCMP review

Unfortunately, you have to sign up for the free trial to get the whole article and I didn't feel like doing that. I'm just not into web subscriptions. Here at KFM, it's all free, as long as you all keep supporting the magazine.

Here's the teaser, nonetheless...
    Not just for kicks
    A US photographer is helping Shaolin monks shed that fight-club image, writes David Momphard

Nov 09, 2007
    Shaolin Temple, in Dengfeng, Henan, often conjures an image of a lone kung fu monk surrounded by a dozen bad guys who are about to take a beating. American photographer Justin Guariglia received a similar impression at the historic site over the eight years he researched Shaolin Temple of Zen, his recently published coffee table book, the subject of his lecture to the Asia Society at the Helena May tonight. ...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    I still have to buy the book by Matt Prolly. I have to get this one now.
    lueb, it was a good read and pretty funny.

Somehow, I forgot to post this

You must see the Shaolin Temple of Zen microsite up on Aperture's site.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some video

Justin is now in Asia and getting a fair amount of news coverage. He just sent me a few web vid links. I'll share them here:

RTHK The Works Art Program (Hong Kong)
    (REAL player) http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/tv/theworks/20071120.ram
    (Windows player) http://www.rthk.org.hk/asx/rthk/tv/t...s/20071120.asx

STAR TV (ASIA)
    http://www.startv.com/starnewsasia/H...s=videoDetails

Channel News Asia (Singapore - live)
    http://video2.channelnewsasia.com/cn...er=&playmode=S
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips