Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

The Karate Kid

WILL SMITH TO DIRECT KARATE KID REMAKE

Actor WILL SMITH will be donning his director's cap for his next project - a remake of 1984's KARATE KID. The Pursuit of Happyness star, 39, is reportedly working on a modern-day version of the martial arts movie, with his nine-year-old son Jaden taking on the lead role of Daniel, originally made famous by Ralph Macchio. Smith Jr. will star alongside Rush Hour's Jackie Chan, who will play the boy's mentor, Mr Miyagi, according to reports.
    Any confirmation on this one?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Is nothing sacred?

The horror...the horror....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Tell me it isn't true. They're going to ruin a perfectly good, wholesome movie by trying to remake it using Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan as the teacher. I love Chackie Chan but he just doesn't seem to fit the charactor that we are all so used to imagining when we think of Mr. Miyagi. Does this mean that Danielson is now going to be Tyronson?

If Will Smith's son is 9 is this going to be a kids movie where one of the parents gets ****ed off and jumps in and Jackie opens up a can of whoop arse? I like Will Smith's movies and everything but to remake a project just so your kid can star in it, I am not sure.

Maybe they should remake Sidekicks instead afterall Chuck is still around.

semi-verified

A Karate Kid Remake?!
    UPDATED: IGN has heard an interesting rumor.
    by Stax

September 27, 2007 - IGN has been informed by a reliable source that Sony Pictures is developing a remake of The Karate Kid that will be produced by Will Smith's Overbook Entertainment and Jerry Weintraub. Weintraub also produced the 1984 film, starring Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, and its three sequels.

We were also advised that Smith's son Jaden, 9, is attached to star in the remake. Jaden Christopher Syre Smith starred opposite his dad in last year's The Pursuit of Happyness, which was also released by Sony. We understand that this new Karate Kid is currently out to writers.

IGN didn't hear back from Weintraub's office or Smith's reps by time of publish, so until there's official confirmation consider this a rumor.

UPDATED: IGN has verified that the Karate Kid remake is among the projects listed in agencies' open writing/directing assignment newsletters sent to their clients. Sony Pictures, however, has advised us they are not officially developing the project.
    There's some buzz about the idea on many film websites.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i doubt thats going to happen, its a huge rumour. and probably jut an idea. but if he does a retelling of it it might b good. stop hating.

And if it succeeds, will kids be begging their parents to sign them up at the nearest McDojo?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I kinda doubt it. I'm not sure many people, including kids, get inspired to take up M.A. due to watching a movie anymore.

only if i can done a blond wig and play johnny. that movie was awesome cause of the 80's ness of it. and pat played mr miyagi perfect.

"mr miyagi how did you do that?" (daniels refering to the bottles he just sliced inhalf)

"i don't know, first time!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

plenty of kids go to karate schools after seeing ma films man where u at.

yeah i know, but that movie was a classic. you cant remake it. lol... er well you can but it wont be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I kinda doubt it. I'm not sure many people, including kids, get inspired to take up M.A. due to watching a movie anymore.
    Think again.....

All one has to do is to see the craziness going on with the Hannah Montana Tour. Major arenas are selling out in 10 mintes. Tickets are being scalped for thousands.

For what? For a 14 year old girl who plays a singer on TV.

Kids today believe what they see on TV and in movies. In fact they take TV a lot more serious than when I was a kid.

Now back to the MA....of course they will sign up but probably 98% of them won't last two months. But for the 2% who stick with it the movie was probably worth it.

My impression was that more kids nowadays are into American Idol and Lindsay than M.A. Lots of the kids I see walking around before/after karate class with their Gi's on seem to go because their parents want them to. May be different in other areas.

If they can make a good remake, good for them. Maybe they can make it better than the original. But the original was pure '80s, along with the John Hughes "brat pack" films and The Last Dragon. That's how I remember Karate Kid.

american idol and all that crap appeals to young girl but not to young boys my man, whats popular with young boys today is still martial arts all the popular japanese anime and even american anime have proved it, and if this movie gets made(which i kinda hope it does) there's gonna be another surge of kids running to take martial arts lessons. you sound out of touch man, is all the hollywood bullsh!t getting to you???