0 0%
  • Do it on Friday after Gene's workshop

1 10.00%
  • I am not going to TJL

3 30.00%
  • I don't want to meet any of you internet wackos

2 20.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Taiji Legacy this yr.? Up for a get together prior to?

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    OK, but if he crotch kicks me, I am coming up there to MA and......well.....show you my ugly mug and scare the hell outta ya.

he wont. now if you dont bring the ninjetta's thats another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Well, I got to meet Gene. He was walking around taking pictures. Did not get to talk with him much, I was about to do my weapons form. Tried to look for him afterwards but could not find him.

The comp is pretty good so far. For me overall it sucked. I am in the old man....errr...executive mens division. No one was competing in the intermediate straightsword (traditional). So it was just me. I screwed the form up and still got 1st Place. Not really the kind of win I wanted. Samething in the open hand forms.

Gonna go do the continiuos sparring here in about 2hrs. Hopefully I will not be by myself again.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

So, I'll be up for the Taiji Legacy next week. Where do you want to meet, and when?

Well I was by myself in the sparring in my division. I did not even bother. Somehow picking a 1st place when you did not even fight is just not the way I want a gold medal. At least in forms I can go by the score wether or not it was deserving.

Overall one the best run tournaments I have been in so far.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

did you happen to see the eagle claw division at all?
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    did you happen to see the eagle claw division at all?
    Nah, they were about 2 rings over next to the contemporary wushu. I did not think there were many competitors there. I believe only GM Lily Lau's students that came with her from the Bay Area were the only competitors. Caught a glimpse of a kid doing what looked liked quick fist to me.

I was gonna compete in eagle claw intermediate division. But I could not remember any of my eagle forms. Last one I learned was cannon fist and could not even remember that.

It was fun

xcakid and I had a nice chat while watching a fine sanshou bout. That was equally distracting as Bone Daddy's must have been. We'd chat and then every once in a while trail off to cheer or wince. The sanshou was quite good this year.

I'll have more to say about TJL here later. Just thought I'd check in quickly, since I'm back...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Great meeting ya Gene. Since you offered on answering question on Xiao Hong Quan, expect some PM's coming your way soon.

Yeah the sanshou matches were awesome. My school mate won his first match by knock out. His next match though, he got knocked out. Oh well. He is currently at the dr. get his nose set back. Glad it wasnt me. Can't wait to see him in class tonight.
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-23-2007 at 10:43 AM.

wish i'd actually made it up to the event.
    got really busy, staying out till 4am every night this weekend.
    man i'm exhausted.
    really wanted to see the san shou.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

my san shou fight at taiji legacy

san shou fight recap

i weighed in at 136 pounds the day before, and at that point i was the lightest fighter. an ex San Da champion had trained some fighters to compete, and i was fighting one of his guys who has been fighting san shou for two years. this was my first full contact match in the ring, and i sure as hell didn't know the ring.

the Lei Tai (fighting platform) had no ropes, so u basically lost if u got pushed off the platform three times in a round. the fight started, and i could tell that my opponent for one was way more experienced than me, and two, fast as hell. i started off throwing some leg kicks that weren't having much effect on him, then i had these spurts where i went in and started throwing punches. thats the only time i had the edge. i was rocking him and he couldn't do **** to stop it other than ducking and try to grapple with me. the grappling usually ended in me getting pushed out of the ring. i got pushed out of the ring three times in the first round and lost that round.

round two, a little gassed out but still going strong with the adrenaline pump. did the same strategy. it started off with some kicking, and i threw a low roundhouse under his push kick and kicked him straight in the knee. it worked, but i fractured my foot and didnt know until later. then i threw a corkscrew punch with my left hand to his face then came in firing. rocked him a few times and we both went to the ground because he did the same thing he did last time. i landed outside of the ring, he landed inside. this happened a few more times. then at one point i got tired, dropped my right guard, and he fired a full powered roundhouse kick to my face. everyone thought i was gonna quit or it was a knockout. i got back up and was ready to go.

the ref came up to me and stopped me. he asked if i wanted to continue fighting. i told him of course i wanna continue fighting. he wanted to make sure i wasnt knocked out and dazed so he asked me a bunch of stupid questions like where are we? so i told him we're in dallas in a fighting tournament and i wanted to fight goddamit. i seriously rolled my eyes at him as i said it. i got the eight count and did the same thing i did before, but i got pushed off the ring again some time in the process. so i got pushed out of the ring another three times, he won the round, and i lost the match.

and i fractured my foot. end of story.

htown

congrats on getting into the ring man. it takes some guts man. just sounds like you need to know the ring a little bit better. it doesnt seem to have a lack of skill.

SL

well im lacking in some areas in judging range and stuff, at least i know what i have to work on

This ex sanda champ wasn't out of Lubbock TX was he?
    Do you know the name of the guy you fought?

Why didn't you get video?

I so wanted to go this year, but I'm too broke to pay my bills let alone a road trip.

At least there is the Austin Martial arts festival in October. I here the san shou is a little small but its "rounded out" by MMA types.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I think I saw your match htown, you did pretty well. Wish I knew you were on the board. I coulda came up and said hi.

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    san shou fight recap

i weighed in at 136 pounds the day before, and at that point i was the lightest fighter. an ex San Da champion had trained some fighters to compete, and i was fighting one of his guys who has been fighting san shou for two years. this was my first full contact match in the ring, and i sure as hell didn't know the ring.

the Lei Tai (fighting platform) had no ropes, so u basically lost if u got pushed off the platform three times in a round. the fight started, and i could tell that my opponent for one was way more experienced than me, and two, fast as hell. i started off throwing some leg kicks that weren't having much effect on him, then i had these spurts where i went in and started throwing punches. thats the only time i had the edge. i was rocking him and he couldn't do **** to stop it other than ducking and try to grapple with me. the grappling usually ended in me getting pushed out of the ring. i got pushed out of the ring three times in the first round and lost that round.

round two, a little gassed out but still going strong with the adrenaline pump. did the same strategy. it started off with some kicking, and i threw a low roundhouse under his push kick and kicked him straight in the knee. it worked, but i fractured my foot and didnt know until later. then i threw a corkscrew punch with my left hand to his face then came in firing. rocked him a few times and we both went to the ground because he did the same thing he did last time. i landed outside of the ring, he landed inside. this happened a few more times. then at one point i got tired, dropped my right guard, and he fired a full powered roundhouse kick to my face. everyone thought i was gonna quit or it was a knockout. i got back up and was ready to go.

the ref came up to me and stopped me. he asked if i wanted to continue fighting. i told him of course i wanna continue fighting. he wanted to make sure i wasnt knocked out and dazed so he asked me a bunch of stupid questions like where are we? so i told him we're in dallas in a fighting tournament and i wanted to fight goddamit. i seriously rolled my eyes at him as i said it. i got the eight count and did the same thing i did before, but i got pushed off the ring again some time in the process. so i got pushed out of the ring another three times, he won the round, and i lost the match.

and i fractured my foot. end of story.
    Congrats for getting in there and fighting!!! Learn from the loss and be a better fighter because of it.
    Bless you