Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: styles that compete in san shou

Quote Originally Posted by xmma View Post
    of course theres gonna be those who do and don't. what styles have more with lineages that do? example: are there folks who enter the san shou arena with a certain monkey kung-fu lineage? if there are, how does that compare proportionately to folks who enter the san shou arena with a certain wing chun lineage?

Sorry, bro. It don't work that way.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sorry, bro. It don't work that way.
    that means every style has a lineage that competes in san shou. i don't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist View Post
    WuTang's background in protection of people as well as military, and the old challenges historical with Figures such as GGM Li Shu Wen.
    I've said it before, TCMA people need to learn that just because your ancestors were fighters doesn't mean you are. You are only as good as what you are doing TODAY. Lama Pai doesn't rest on what Wong Yan Lam did 100 years ago.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i have never seen wing chun people do san shou. the concepts are differnent. as for lineages that do san shou i think it was already stated it doesnt go by lineage it goes by school. some schools teach san shou some don't. the only style i have ever seen that does san shou with a great deal of consistancy is jow ga. there may be jow schools that choose not to fight san shou and use the traditional stances or whatever but i have not seen them. otherwise i have seen some hung gar schools that do and some that don't, some choy li fut that do and some that don't. its abotu the school.

but here is the thing, to say that kungfu guys only will ever compete in a format made just for kungfu guys, well then....why not branch out and try other things?

there has to be some kungfu guys who are interested in MMA and using their kungfu in MMA style format.

what about you masterkiller, ive read some posts you have put up about using your kungfu in mma style formats.

i dont really know where your at with that, but do you find other guys doing the same kind of thing?

dang maybe i need to hit up an mma gym and try it out since it seems not really many any other kungfu guys in the world want to or are even willing/not afraid to do this.

kungfu guys think they have so much to lose by making the jump
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    what about you masterkiller, ive read some posts you have put up about using your kungfu in mma style formats.

i dont really know where your at with that, but do you find other guys doing the same kind of thing?
    A couple of my kung fu brothers have followed me over. But for the most part, it's a lonely world.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    the only style i have ever seen that does san shou with a great deal of consistancy is jow ga. there may be jow schools that choose not to fight san shou and use the traditional stances or whatever but i have not seen them. otherwise i have seen some hung gar schools that do and some that don't, some choy li fut that do and some that don't. its abotu the school.
    best answer so far that doesn't try to dodge my question with excessive qualifiers.

someone also mentioned jow ga previously, so that confirms it. the other styles you listed are also southern kung-fu styles. so it looks like southern kung-fu does more san shou than northern.

kungfu guys think they have so much to lose by making the jump
    They won't really lose or win anything. I think it was Seven who pointed out that the mainstream public in relation to joining a martial art school does not care anyway.

A lot of commerical schools make there money off of normal people joining for many different reasons, most of them being far off the mma path.

best answer so far that doesn't try to dodge my question with excessive qualifiers.

someone also mentioned jow ga previously, so that confirms it. the other styles you listed are also southern kung-fu styles. so it looks like southern kung-fu does more san shou than northern.

Yeah, that's a safe assumption based on two internet message board threads. Bruce is in Maryland, where Jow Ga is prevelant. COme to Dallas and see how many Jow Ga fighters are in the San Shou divisions. It's mostly N. Praying Mantis and Long Fist in these parts (plus the SC folks from Austin). Why? Because those are the most prevelant types of schools that are located in this part of the country.

Seems like you are just fishing until someone confirms what you already believe.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-10-2007 at 09:47 AM.

I read the paper, what is the big red H

Edit: wrong thread
    Bless you

It's mostly N. Praying Mantis and Long Fist in these parts (plus the SC folks from Austin). Why? Because those are the most prevelant types of schools that are located in this part of the country.

Seems like you are just fishing until someone confirms what you already believe.
    thanks for finally answering my question. it took a blanket statement to get you to, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I've said it before, TCMA people need to learn that just because your ancestors were fighters doesn't mean you are. You are only as good as what you are doing TODAY. Lama Pai doesn't rest on what Wong Yan Lam did 100 years ago.
    A statement based on not reading my post,

Of course we actively fight and have since the early days it is in a schools best interest to continue such an important tradition
    Li SHu wen was a almost a century ago, bodygaurd work is active over the entire histoy, and military applications are refined but encompass the same exact principles of train fight train fighting in ring or out. and i always have an active san shou program and always will (until i just can not keep up) A coach should train as much as possible with their fighters and age becomes a big factor so it is important to pass on the importance of such a practice to our understudies as my master passed to me and so on.

thanks for finally answering my question. it took a blanket statement to get you to, tho.
    Dude, it's arbitrary. If you go to Southern Cali, they will have a different answer based on what types of schools are located there...Seattle, same thing.

It all comes down to individual schools. It just so happens that in different parts of the country, there are more schools of one or two styles, and consequently, those styles represent more at local and regional events.

Dude, it's arbitrary. If you go to Southern Cali, they will have a different answer based on what types of schools are located there...Seattle, same thing.

It all comes down to individual schools. It just so happens that in different parts of the country, there are more schools of one or two styles, and consequently, those styles represent more at local and regional events.
    that's great. what styles are known for their heavy involvement in san shou competitions in s. cali and seattle?

i guess my deal is peoples ego

i would like to see even just ONE "kungfu master" step into an MMA match and show us whats up.

no one is willing to do this because they dont want to lose face by getting the snot beat out of them by some 5 year mma practitioner.

i see fear. personally.

no not from everyone, but if your going to tell me EVERY kungfu guy is "too good" for the mma fights then i call a big fat BS

i label it fear
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!