Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd World Traditional Wushu Festival, whos going??

2nd World Traditional Wushu Festival, whos going??

Hi all

Just wondering who will be attending the 2nd world traditional wushu festival being held in Zhengzhou in ocotber. I went to the last one and it was awesome the experience was one i will never forget!

2nd World Traditional Wushu Festival, whos going??

Hi all

Just wondering who will be attending the 2nd world traditional wushu festival being held in Zhengzhou in ocotber. I went to the last one and it was awesome the experience was one i will never forget!

Aussie Shaolin rocks!!

I went to the last one too.

And I concur. It rocked. I'm very disappointed that I won't be able to make it this year (although I've already heard on the downlow that they aren't planning for it to be as gargantuan as last time). Check out my DVD Shaolin Trips: The First World Traditional Wushu Festival - it's a fundraiser for the Friends of Shaolin - a special committee of our charitable branch, the Tiger Claw Foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Shaolin temple and this tournament has very little to do with any traditional Chinese fighting systems.

Its modern wushu plain and simple. Just take a look at some the performances that won gold medals last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kqdUXqI9c

I think the practitioner spent more with scratching and picking gestures than he did swining that staff. I think he even crawled around on all fours for a bit. All you can do is shake your head.

Below is a very insightful assessment from a previous post regarding the merits of "traditional" shaolin kungfu these days.

Without trugging through the entire article and all the other assorted stuff you could dig up, the shortest explanation is just to say that the Shaolin Temple, at present, is simply an officially appointed "flagship" so to speak for Shaolin Gongfu. It exists primarily to market all the stuff people associate with Shaolin Gongfu in their imaginations but the place it's self, in regards to the training, the forms, the sparring and so on, is pretty much the same as what you find at any Wushu University throughout China. You could find nearly the exact same training and curriculum at the Xi'an Sports University or at the Beijing Sports University, at the Zhao Xiangjun Wushu School in Xi'an and so on.

It's a set of govt. approved standardized form for forms competition and basic Sanda for the uh...Sanda competition.

That's all it is. No better. No worse. Just more famous and with more government support but make no mistake, is IS a regular wushu school like all the rest. That DOES include Sanda but they don't teach or compete with the traditional forms. They use the govt. standardized versions.

Don't judge based on just that example

Firstly, as I reported in my coverage of the tournament (see Shaolin Trips: Episode 4), the gold medal thing was really more of a face presentation, just like with almost all tournaments that invite non-Chinese. China looks at gold medals differently. There isn't just one gold awarded per ring. It's more like a level - every competitor that acheives a certain level gets a gold, usually based on a percentage. So the top 10% might all get gold medals. Some say this stems every since the Cultural Revolution when competition was viewed negatively, but an argument can also be made that this is a remnant of the old Confucian method of examinations. It's a bit confusing, but it allows a lot of foreigners to go home with gold medals and bragging rights.

That being said, sure, there was a lot of modern wushu present at this event, just like any event, despite its intentions and moniker. As for Jamel's performance, he's a friend of mine and we've discussed him elsewhere. It should be noted that he's American and this was his first trip to China. However, there was plenty of traditional coming in from other countries, as well as from the China Wushu Association's senior division. I tried to focus on this in my video. Keep in mind that many countries fielded traditional teams there, countries where even the staunch wushu critics claim still maintain their traditional roots like Hong Kong. There was plenty of traditional there. You just needed to know where to look.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's Just Monkey

Yeah, that seemed kindof like a useless form but when I did a survey of monkey styles, most of them seem to have that useless hand waving stuff. Maybe it is kindof like a block if somebody is going for your head ???

Anyway don't knock that performance just because it was a monkey form.

That being said, yeah, it's all just wushu and competition and all of that. But, whatever.

I mean, lots of people go to sports games to watch people kick a ball around a field, so what's the difference?

My China Tank is full.

Gonna stay home for a while.....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

My China Tank is full.

Gonna stay home for a while....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

However, there was plenty of traditional coming in from other countries, as well as from the China Wushu Association's senior division
    I do believe it is possible that a number of naive traditional schools from outside of China attended.

On the issue of the China Wushu Association sending traditional players it is important to take care in the wording of this.

Competition wushu does in fact contain a "traditional" division. But it is misleading. More accurately it is a traditional FORMS division.

When someone tells you they compete in the traditional division what they really mean is they train some additional standardized competition forms. Typically these forms Tong Bei Quan and Tang Lang Quan amoungst a few others. It does not mean that if you train in a traditional system you can enter it. These are standardized and very far removed from any requirements under traditional fighting systems.

In traditional fighting systems forms training is only one very small element within the overall training system. In modern wushu it is the ultimate purpose.

Of course there is nothing wrong with these differences. I just do not like to see all of those poor foreigners fooled into beleiving they are studying some traditional Chinese fighting system. Or worse yet, some traditional Shaolin fighting system.
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 09-26-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Hi BengbuKuen

I was just wondering whether you went to the last world traditional championships?

I do not want to seem rude but your comments and descriptions are to me, sound like you have very little knowledge of 'Wushu' in China and its practitioners. If you do your research and train with the right masters you will realise the comments that you have made are incorrect.

In regards to the traditional championships it is a great place to see the 'Old' Kung Fu or Wushu from China. Of course there are standardised forms however your comment about people not entering with real traditional forms is completly wrong as friends of mine entered with trdatitional non standardised forms!

I witnessed some of the best traditional stuff in the world at the championships and i have trained with some of the best.

No hard feelings but do a little bit more research rather than listening to others with little or incorrect information.

Been around the block more than a few times in China. But thanks for the advice Aussie Shaolin.

Why dont you tell us more about some of the best traditional you ever saw?

Renewed Shaolin Temple Pic.

This is the source. Really amazing if you ask me ...
    Last edited by xiao; 10-19-2006 at 06:19 AM.

wow, it looks really quite templey in that pic.

where's the t-shirt and million pieces of crap vendors?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

amazing indeed!

Any idea where that is exactly? I know the temple pretty well and I can't pinpoint it from that shot at all. Of course, I haven't been back since the last World Traditional Wushu Festival (which is partially what that article is covering) and I hardly recognized the place then either.

KL: You're behind the times. The abbot purged Shaolin of most of the tourist vendors a few years back. It started in 2000 - see Karmic Wheel Turns at Shaolin Temple: A Controversy Erupts at Songshan by Martha Burr and me in our 2000 December issue. We've covered the changes in every Shaolin Special since. The last time I was back, there was only a small section of tourist vendors by Talin, and the typical stands within any Chinese temple. They were scheduled to open a big gift shop at the new front gate complex, but it wasn't ready in 2004.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oop my bad, i shoulda remembered that as I did read it.

I guess thinking about hot sex with the wife pushed the other info out.
    Kung Fu is good for you.