Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Exercising

Creative Exercising

I'm constantly trying to get little exercises in throughout the day when I can. For instance, I often do a stair workout at work, climbing the steps and at certain floors I'll stop and do pushups or situps or whatever.
    This afternoon on my way back from lunch I had to take an escalator so putting my hands on each side of me I held myself up all the way down.

What sorts of things are you guys and girls doing to get in a little exercise from time to time?

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    I'm constantly trying to get little exercises in throughout the day when I can. For instance, I often do a stair workout at work, climbing the steps and at certain floors I'll stop and do pushups or situps or whatever.
    This afternoon on my way back from lunch I had to take an escalator so putting my hands on each side of me I held myself up all the way down.

What sorts of things are you guys and girls doing to get in a little exercise from time to time?
    Oh this is the kind of stuff I LOVE to do.

Like I do those planche pushup progression excercises several times a day out of nowhere.

'Box jumps' on just about anything, tables planters, dividing walls, etc.

Pullups on just about anything I end up walking under that I can reach up or leap up to.

That 'L shaped' ab excercise where you hold yourself up with your hands with your torso upright and your legs perpendicular - palms, fingertips or knuckles.

Handstands, cartwheels, handsprings, kipups, etc...

All just whenever, wherever... The extended family thinks I'm sorta weird, but they love me anyways. Whateva, it's all fun!

Try Virtual Resistance

With "virtual resistance" you can turn almost anything you do into a strength building exercise. If you are picking up a light box pretend it is a heavy box and provide extra resistance by tensing your muscles through the entire range of motion. The same with pulling ropes, lifting chairs or whatever. You will not only build physical strength,but develop mental strength and concentration as well. It's fun and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62
    With "virtual resistance" you can turn almost anything you do into a strength building exercise. If you are picking up a light box pretend it is a heavy box and provide extra resistance by tensing your muscles through the entire range of motion. The same with pulling ropes, lifting chairs or whatever. You will not only build physical strength,but develop mental strength and concentration as well. It's fun and it works.
    On that note, I often do that in the shower - basically tensing up whatever muscles I'm soaping up at the time. Also, I practice a form of 'cold dousing/tempering' esp in the winter where, after showering or at the end of my morning workout, I shower with the water as cold as possible while rubbing the cold water all over vigorously and tensing up whatever muscles I'm rubbing over at the time. Do this for about a min or two.

I sometimes walk around work with 2lb leg weights on for the day. Run up any steps I find 3-4 steps at a time, run down 2 steps at a time. Instead of bending down drop into a low 7 star stance, tiger stance or circle entering stance. Use Horse Stance instaed of a chair. Its all god fun and you get some strange looks from people.

I work in a print shop, so when I'm not designing (sitting on my bum at the PC) I'm lugging cases of paper or operating cutters, folders, stitchers...

I get sets of 25 bootstrappers in while waiting for the printer, 50 back of wrist pushups against the wall, a pistol or two when I can.

And my party trick... I can open a wrapped ream of paper by dropping it horizontally at about head height, then striking upward with a mantis hand (splits the wrapper) then grab the ream right in the center with the same hand and the wrapper slides off each side. I can't get it every time.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

That is an elite kitten with a whip right there.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

There is a good book on this, called Dynamic Strength. It is very inexpensive and has many ideas for exercises that do not require any equipment.

Here is the link to amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Pavel says

"Tensing your muscles as if they were handling a world record weight, even if you are lifting your grandma's broomstick, teaches you to maximize muscular tension. That, as you recall, is what makes you very strong. Such practice in part, explains the feats of strength performed by martial arts masters: breaking bricks, absorbing powerful strikes, etc. Karatekas have performed special exercises called "sanchin" which involve maximum dynamic tension of the muscles for centuries."

Pavel Tsatsouline "Power To The People" page 13.

I like the way that Ming Yue's "parlor trick" sounds. Personally, I work in a door shop, so I spend most of my day lifting rather heavy things, whether it's doors, or lumber. To train my wrist strength, I try to lift anything long (2X4's, door jambs, etc.) from one end, with one hand, even if it's something I've tried before to lift in this manner and have been unsuccessful. I also lift myself about an inch off the floor with just my arms whenever I'm standing next to my work bench doing nothing, and try to hold myself off the ground for as long as possible. I jog/run everywhere in the warehouse, do inclined push-up when noone's looking (usually in the storage rooms if I'm bored or without work at a particular moment). Tensing and relaxing my abdominal muscles is something I've been trying to do as well. Not as effective as situps, but still good for a small bit of stomach training
    <p>When it speciafically comes to martial arts, I'll usually try to go over my forms or other techniques while I'm building things. I've found it helps me to continue to do forms in class while there are other distractions going on around me.

-christopher

I'll have to get it on video and post it. I tried it this morning and failed, which means 500 sheets of paper to pick up....

The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

1. I do performance breathing daily, while working out and while moving. It was Sonnon's labeled as perpetual exercise.

2. I do creative visualization while on the metro subway or bus.

3. I practice bodyflow or joint aticulation while waiting for appointments and public transportation.

4. I play tag or hide and seek with my cousins or play their childish games.

5. I make love. This is probably the best exercise which I can use all of my attritubes that I have learned through the physical and health cultures of martial arts and strength training.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 03-09-2005 at 09:24 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter

1. I do performance breathing daily, while working out and while moving. It was Sonnon's labeled as perpetual exercise.

2. I do creative visualization while on the metro subway or bus.

3. I practice bodyflow or joint aticulation while waiting.

4. I play tag or hide and seek with my cousins or play their childish games.

5. I make love. This is probably the best exercise which I can use on my attritubes that I have learned through the physical and health cultures of martial arts and strength training.
    Can you point out a step by step guide to this performance breathing?

As far as additional excercise, I actually don't have a solid block of time for daily excercise - at most something like 30min in the morning. I've ended up having to take breaks from my work and just doing whatever set of excercises I feel like doing for my 5-15min break. I do this every 1-2 hours throughout the day.

When I'm not bound to my work, I play with my 3 kids. Also, check my initial post on this thread for various atypical activities I'll do just 'cuz I can at the time.

FYuk,

If you are familar with Pavel's "Power breathing" in PTP, than you can see it is similar in theory with external Shaolin based chi gung breathing or even GoJu Karate Pranayama breathing in with their katas. On the other hand, "Performance breathing" is different than "Power breathing". In case of danger, "power breathing" is extremely effective! However long term performance can not be maintain for long by this method in my opinion because of the level of great stress and residual tension it can produce on the body. In my view, I dont want to be stiff as a board, but more plastic or "fluid" as a martial artist. Performance breathing is similar to the Wu Tang breathing tradition but there are more sophisticated joint articulation of the head, back, and hips in relation to breathing from the core. Insteading breathing along with movement, you are allowing your movement to be breathe. I believe performance breathing can enhance long term performance and I am constantly amazed how much my own fitness and MA performance has been improved as well as my own clients in the gym. I learned all of this through a RMAX program called "Be Breathe". I would highly recommend anyone interested in learning performance breathing get Coach Sonnon's "Be Breathe" DVD http://www.rmax.tv/bebreathed.html. I am sorry I couldnt give you a step by step of performance breathing method because it would take too long to give you all the technical details and it is much better if you see it and hear it from Coach Sonnon himself. I hope I have given you a clearer understanding of the difference between Pavel's method and Sonnon's method.

Here are two links on performance breathing by Sonnon which might help:

1. http://circularstrengthmag.com/forum...pic.php?t=2002

2. http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/f...pic.php?t=2326
    Last edited by FooFighter; 03-10-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I do alot of 10-keying (using the little number pad on the right side of the keybord). One day I noticed that my right hand spears, ridge-hand strikes and chops tended to be much stronger than my left. So I started teaching myself to 10-key with my left hand, as well. I haven't gotten my left hand as built up as my right yet, but it is getting there.

I also run up any fight of stairs I come to. Then, if the railins are on both sides, I will "walk" down them on my hands.

I have access to a cart to run erands and such on property and to plot my bus locations, but I alway walk instead. If I need to get from one end of the garage to the other, I sprint.

When people look at me funny and ask me what in the blazes I'm doing, I tell them I was starting to get drowsy and needed to wake myself up. (This isn't usually a lie, Working nites will make you drowsy...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it