Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kung fu in the cage

Im curious how that taijiquan/wingchun guy did in that cage fight 10. Anyone know????
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    Im curious how that taijiquan/wingchun guy did in that cage fight 10. Anyone know????
    You mean after he let the (to quote badly) "No1 MMA fighter in the UK" throw him round the cage before he got cut on Beriks (illegal? definatly lucky) elbow in Cage rage 9?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Ripped off from SFUK who ripped it off from sherdog

"Sami Berik took the fight to Cage Rage's resident villain, Jeremy "Bad Boy" Bailey, winning the striking and the grappling in the first round.

He dominated the stand-up exchange before taking Bailey down and controlling him, taking the mount and throwing strikes as and when he could. Towards the end of the round he went for an armbar that Bailey defended. As Berik lost position, Bailey took advantage, standing and throwing an illegal kick to the face.

Perhaps unexpectedly, Bailey reacted by showing sportsmanship and contrition, insisting on apologizing and shaking Berik's hand. The round finished with another flurry from Berik, Bailey backpedaling as the bell rang.

The second round started like the first, with Berik controlling and seeming to dominate the stand up whilst not actually seeming to hurt Bailey. Bailey was gradually coming more and more into the fight as the round progressed, hitting his opponent with some big right hands. Both men traded slams, with Berik scoring a big takedown and Bailey executing a beautiful belly-to-belly suplex in return.

The third round opened with Bailey still looking for the big right hand. Berik continued to dominate position, taking Bailey down and trying to ground-and-pound. He still didn't seem to be hurting Bailey, who was taunting his opponent from the bottom. As the round wore on, Berik surprised the crowd by trying to put Bailey in a Boston Crab, but Bailey tripped him and in the ensuing scramble Berik regained his feet. As the round ended, Berik took his opponent down again and Bailey tried to lock in a guillotine.

The judges scored the fight for Beik, which was probably fair. Bailey looked the more likely to finish it, but Berik was clearly controlling the fight. "

Berik is the Tai Chi guy (and good san shou guy).
    Much more convincing win this time
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Talking

i am also one of kevin's students. let me clarify a few things as well.

our art is more of a reality combat style so if kevin were to go into the cage he would have to dumb down a lot of his technique because they like to restrict the kinds of moves you can do in the cage...also, kevin needs to head up the school and may not have time (since he needs to keep an income as well) to participate in that sort of thing. which is why he is sending jason larkin to fight for him. jason is in peak condition and we feel that he could best resort to the kind of fighting they want him to do. also, jason will be on sherdog's website after the fight.

**update**
    jason's fight has been moved to april 23, glendale arena, 7:30pm. go check out rage in the cage website for more info. also, i'll be there so hopefully i can record it or somethin. if i do i'll happily post it here.

also, i spar kevin and jason regularly (although not now since im away but i will return in the summer) and i must say that they are pretty crazy. jason is the kind of person that will be able to power through practically anyone that restorts to any martial art taught today. but, he will dance circles around seasoned street fighters that restort to brawling. kevin is a smaller kind of person and so cannot rely on powering through like jason, however kevin's technique is beyond mastery and so he can adapt to any kind of opponent no matter what their size is or their experience. kevin is very direct and does not bull**** in the slightest. he will make sure that you are beaten asap.

also, if you are interested, please drop by the school, huangstempest and i will be down there in late july/august as well. his address is here:
    the building says kung fu on it
    2051 w. warner, suite 8
    chandler, az 85224
    it is the sw corner of warner and dobson

if anyone wants to contact the school, please drop myself or huangstempest an email or pm. my email is neijia.chuan@gmail.com

or feel free to drop by the school to see what we do or the challenge us. whatever is on your mind at the time. kevin has done challenges before so it is not alien to him.

Last edited by huang's arrow; 04-14-2005 at 12:17 PM.
    Huang's Style Kung Fu

Who is next? Huang's Lunchbox? Just kidding! Sounds like you guys have a fun school!

:(

**** it!!!! I'm going to be in ohio for the mantis gathering that weekend or I'd be at that event.. I'm here in north phoenix, I'd like to come check out what you guys are doing some time... When are you guys there working out..?
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

we are open monday to friday from 11:30am-7:30pm (i believe). on saturdays we have class from 11am-2pm (i believe). its safest to drop by in the middle of those times instead of the beginning or end hehe. but yes, please feel free to drop by.
    Huang's Style Kung Fu

So he lost then?

So you come on, talk up your guy, then when he loses you dont say anything!!!

Same as that drunkenunicorn guy who went to EVERY ma web site that I have looked on apart from bullshido talking up his classd mate sami berik for winning a cage rage fight.....then the guy loses one and you domnt hear a word.

I wanna know what happend!

hehe im sorry to see that you are so impatient but people may have things like college papers/finals to worry about instead of answering a couple of posts on some kung fu forum. im usually on aim so if you feel the need to know something RIGHT AWAY then feel free to give me a buzz.

anyway, here is what happened:
    throughout the training jason had been wearing the same shoes he was to wear in the fight. this resulted in his shoes having like, no traction hehe because they didn't wipe the mat between matches. unfortunately jason was not able to root himself and therefore was unable to attack. however, jason got out of the 8 or so holds his opponent tried to put him in and left the ring uninjured.

in the end, jason lost by decision since he was not the agressor. but it was a great learning experience. and as always, anyone can drop by the school as i said above and meet jason and kevin in person. jason will be fighting again on june 11 so i'll be back to report on that.
    Huang's Style Kung Fu

Aaaah, I see. The SHOES lost the fight!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

yea they did. but i think itt was still very successful. the guy couldn't beat him and now he knows how the cage fighting works. i'd nearly call it a victory since the judges had to pass a ruling on it.
    Huang's Style Kung Fu

I'm betting the other guy's students aren't out there on some internet forum saying "Yeah, our teacher was given the decision but we really look at it as a loss 'cause the other guys shoes weren't right that day"...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Are you sure he's never been trained by William Cheung?

etc.