Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stone Warrior

The pump you feel after lifting and the swollen look you have is nothing more than blood rushing to the worked muscles...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: 7 star

Originally posted by fiercest tiger
    Hello,

In mot martial arts you tense up yes, in my new daoist internal art of Wun Yuen you are fully relaxed and no tension even the fist when you hit.

There is a reason for this method but i will not go into this now!

Ive done YKM and Bak Mei Pai now for 20 yrs and i can say this new art is something else and everything i have learnt previously kinda is basic compared to this internal system.

Im not saying you are wrong just find it that you and i use the the same way to punch using external and its not as hard as internal in wun yuen method i believe. Im still new to this art and im not good at it but my sifu can hit you like a train without moving you and u drop.

Not to mention the experiences ive been having with chi and outer body experiences lately. weird **** is happening!

FT

can I hear the reasoning? Is there anywhere online where I can see it or read about it? I hear IMA guys say similar things all the time, so I'm curious. If you just don't want to post it here, PM it to me.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    The pump you feel after lifting and the swollen look you have is nothing more than blood rushing to the worked muscles...
    SevenStar just made the correct do a dynamic tension form of 21 movements for 36 reps each that lasted 90 minutes.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IMHO dynamic tension may only help develop muscles and not punching power.

What do you punch with then if not your muscles?

You know, this thread reminds me of when I used to do Stone Warrior every day in my dorm for the first few months of freshman year (I had been doing it for a few months prior to that as well, but I only went up to 16 reps per exercise, not 36. It still took 35-40 minutes), thinking that I had some secret Chinese strength program that was going to make me stronger than all my friends in the weightroom.

Fortunately, one weekend I got the flu and when I was at home I was researching weightlifting and bodybuilding on the internet because I had been talking to some of my friends who lifted weights prior to this and was thinking about giving it a try (I thought weightlifting = bodybuilding, as do most noobs) and I found some good resources. I think that's the weekend that I bought Arnold's New Modern Bodybuilding Encyclopedia or whatever it's called, and although the routines in that book are not good for natural trainees, and it contains some physiological falacies (upper/lower abs), I still thought it was a sweet book that motivated the hell out of me. When I got back to school after I had recovered I decided to give weight lifting a try instead and the rest is history. I fell in love (with weight lifting and a girl, but that's another story)

Well, almost. It took me a little bit longer to realize that the routines I read in Bruce Lee: the Art of Expressing the Human Body were not very good, either. Much thanks to the internet for pointing me in the direction of very knowledgable resources and people.

It still took me a few more years to realize I wasn't going to learn to fight with kung fu (I was grasping the myth for too long), but that's an entirely different thread

:: puts on flame retardant suit::

In hindsight, though, I wish two things had been different:

1. I wish I had gone to the gym after quitting Stone Warrior BEFORE I got the flu because then I would have had more strength to see how effective it was.

2. I wish I had understood the importance of proper diet while I was on Stone Warrior. I knew protein was good, but I didn't get enough, and I certaintly didn't eat enough for my fast metabolism. I avoided fat because I thought eating fat = putting on fat. I thought my bodyfat was so low because of my secret Chinese training program. Now all I do is freaking eat pizza all day and I still have visible abs. However, my bodyfat was like 7.3% when I got it measured freshman year (after a few months of weightlifting but still not knowing that much about diet) and now (4 years later) it's like 9%, but still.

Well, there's a brief history of my introduction to weightlifting.
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-21-2004 at 10:52 AM.

I had the same realizations Iron.

LOL

Dynamic tension will not develop punching power because muscles are contracting against themselves , resisting i should say. Be relaxed and punch pads you will get better results!

I would rather get hit by a external martial artist in the body then a Internal martial artist.

FT

Hey Fiercest that makes sense, you wouldn't want to train your antogonizing muscles to fire. Though I doubt that it would make a whole bunch of difference, still it violates the specificity principle.

Originally posted by IronFist

It still took me a few more years to realize I wasn't going to learn to fight with kung fu learned from videos (I was grasping the myth for too long), but that's an entirely different thread

Re: Hi Iron Fist

YKM has a Dynamic tension set as well, but it doesnt make you hit harder i believe. Tensing the muscles do not make you punch harder in my book, can you elaborate alittle more so i can see what you are saying?

I think its an exercise that works your muscles and gives some toning benifits and can possibly make you harder muscular but not hit harder!

thanks in advance
    FT
    FT, if you don't mind my asking...

What is the dynamic tension set in YKM for then? Body hardening? Or are they purely for muscle toning/fitness?

Sui Hung

Hi Mate,

The form in YKM called Ying Ching Kuen is designed for health and for fighting, meaning hardening the body by tension with rings as well. It helps to close of pressure points energy sources! However it trains the rib power some what but i "myself" think that it doesnt train power for punching.

Im comparing this to normal pad punching, u would get better results on a heavy bag then a tension set anyday.

Hope this helps?
    FT

Im comparing this to normal pad punching, u would get better results on a heavy bag then a tension set anyday.
    Sure

But no one is saying that stone warrior alone will make you punch harder.

What will give you more power, striking a bag only

Or weight training and striking a bag.

Thats all Syone Warrior is, a strengthening program. It alone will not make you strike harder, it will make you stronger so you have more overall body strength.

Just like running, if you want to be an effective fighter you shoyuld be running or something aerobic. You need to last in a fight. But that will not make you a more powerful puncher if you are not doing pad and bag work.

Do yo think top boxers do pad work only and no weights?

Re: LOL

Dynamic tension will not develop punching power because muscles are contracting against themselves , resisting i should say. Be relaxed and punch pads you will get better results!
    FT
    As long as they're still getting stronger it doesn't matter how they're being traing that much. Contracting against themselves or contracting against an external weight, they're still contracting and getting stronger (in theory)

I don't think the muscles are going to neurologically adapt to resisting themselves every time you use them from this type of training as you are suggesting. This is more drivel propagated by martial artists who don't know very much about anatomy of physiology. It's one step up from "weight lifting makes you stiff and inflexible."

Ford and/or Toby, please jump in and correct/support me in either case.

HI

Ok, so all depends on what you want! Im sure someone said on this thread that the stone warrior was to punch harder or they are punching harder.

Its ok, at this time in my life meditation and chi kung is far superior then fighting and if added to fighting you will be hitting harder then doing a tension form.

All the best with the stone warrior training!

FT

Sihing73

Once you get it post what your initial impression is, then after working it post how you feel it is.