Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sept/Oct 2009 Issue

I sense that we're drifting OT again...

...I shouldn't have brought up the silkworms.

But to get back OT, the heavy Kwan Dao was featured in Only the Strong By Chris Friedman (in our 2009 September/October of course - got to plug it while it's still on the newsstands). Chris had queried me about a shuai jiao training piece using things like stone locks, so I was really surprised to see the kwan dao (or as it was spelled in that article kuan dao) in the regimen. That, and the zhong fan (ornamented pole) went a totally different direction than I had anticipated. And when juxtaposed with the throw applications, you can see how these traditional methods could work as training techniques. It was a brilliant piece. I'm always impressed when a submission can surprise me that way and sincerely hope Chris Friedman has some future submissions in the queue for us.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

were you able to ask or do you know if they use that same kwan dao to practice the actual weapon techniques and forms, or is that particular sword used only for the throw application training? what struck me most in the photos was the size of the spear section on the bottom. looks brutal.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I didn't ask...

..however, you should note that heavy kwan dao practice is usually not always strictly within the realms of conventional kung fu. While there are some traditionalists that will practice with a super heavyweight kwan, where I've seen more of those types of demonstrations is with gymnastics and circus performance. It's more of an acrobatic skill, like the Beijing acrobats, and probably descends from the jianghu times. That's another reason why the inclusion of zhong fan is interesting in this article.

All the super heavyweight kwans that I have seen have a massive pommel spike. They have to in order to balance out the blade. That looks like a beautiful example of a heavy kwan in the article.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I personally have no real experience with the big sword. my old roomate is proficient with it, always a pleasure to see him swing that sucker around, ive just never been drawn to it myself. The main reason I asked is that he uses the heavier practice version, that dragon head one. i can only imagine what a 80lb one would be like to swing around. its hard for me to see the practicality at that weight.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the practicality?

Perhaps you should look at that article again. The practicality of training with a heavyweight guan dao is the same as training with a barbell. Only this barbell is sharp. Think about that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well i mean in regards to the weight and using the sword only for sword training techniques. coming from the view point of an average human anyway it seems to darn combersum for someone like me. ive never weilded an 80 lb weapon, id probably cut my own leg off. lol

like, do people use 80lb kwan daos for kwan dao training?

i enjoyed the side by side shots of the kwan dao and the correlating throw the kwan dao was training.

i couldnt tell in the article if they use that weight kwan dao only for the shuai jiao, or if that heavy one is also used for kwan dao training.
    Last edited by Lucas; 08-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.

lol, sharp barbell. that'll build some awareness for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    lol, sharp barbell. that'll build some awareness for sure.
    Yeah, but one mistake and your training days are over!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Yeah, but one mistake and your training days are over!
    not always... i hit myself in the right temple with my 21lb iron bar once while swinging it around and i am still perfectly alright. i would love to get my hands on a 80-100lb kwan dao.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    not always... i hit myself in the right temple with my 21lb iron bar once while swinging it around and i am still perfectly alright. i would love to get my hands on a 80-100lb kwan dao.
    LOL!! Yeah me too, I've also had 3 concussions, but that is not a heavy bladed weapon, there is a difference!

ive never actually used any heavy melee weapon like that before. i could see how the shaft being as wide as a can of cola being pretty hardcore grip training on a weapon like that.

Hi, I'm Chris. The Kuan Dao in the article is used only for strenght training. The blade is thick and not sharp,and there are short routines done with it,no form. Also there are no application for the use of the Kuan Dao in shuai jiao. It is a very rare, and will probably not be passed on to the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    that is not a heavy bladed weapon, there is a difference!
    i was merely pointing out the flaw in assuming temple shots can kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Hi, I'm Chris. The Kuan Dao in the article is used only for strenght training. The blade is thick and not sharp,and there are short routines done with it,no form. Also there are no application for the use of the Kuan Dao in shuai jiao. It is a very rare, and will probably not be passed on to the next generation.
    thanks for the info Chris. Thats what I was trying to ask, darn internet.

Do you do drills with the kuan dao? why is it you say this wont be passed on to the next generation? lack of interest by the younger generation?

I stand corrected...

...make that a funny-shaped blunt barbell...

Nice of you to chime in on this, Chris. Perhaps this is the topic of your next submission.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i hit myself in the right temple with my 21lb iron bar once while swinging it around and i am still perfectly alright.
    You sure about that, bro? Perhaps we should clarify our definition of 'perfectly alright'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips