Thread: True Legend

Hybrid View

Wang Ziping?

I'm afraid we sold out of our 1998 July issue a long time ago. Besides, Wang Ziping is dead, so he's not the cover master that's going to be in True Legend. Unless you meant the other person on that cover, Wang's granddaughter, Grace Wu-Monnat, who is still very much alive. It's not her either.

Click below for pics.
    Jay Chou Supports Kung Fu Master
    2008-11-11 11:04:07 CRIENGLISH.com

Pop singer-turned actor Jay Chou is seen in Yuen Woo-Ping's upcoming action film "True Legend." Chou plays a minor role supporting Chiu Man-Cheuk, whose character Su Qi-Er is a legendary martial-arts master. The film, which began shooting last week, also stars actress Zhou Xun. It is a remake of Yuen Woo-Ping's own 1993 film "Su Qi-Er," known in the West as "Fist of the Red Dragon."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm afraid we sold out of our 1998 July issue a long time ago. Besides, Wang Ziping is dead, so he's not the cover master that's going to be in True Legend. Unless you meant the other person on that cover, Wang's granddaughter, Grace Wu-Monnat, who is still very much alive. It's not her either.

Click below for pics.

Glad there's the online article. Thanks Gene!

I'm interested in Wang Ziping because of his Muslim background. I'm trying to find as much information as I can on Muslim kung fu in China. Heck, information on Islam in China in general. Google and Yahoo haven't served me well.

I don't have a guess for who the True Legend is.

Well, that's a little OT...

...but check out these other cover stories; they both have Muslim elements:

The Muslim Master of the Old Empire: An interview with Grandmaster Ma Xianda by Gigi Oh, with Gene Ching

Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional by Gene Ching and Gigi Oh

You should also search Tantui and Chaquan. There's a lot on our Shaolin forum here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Gene. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

small update

gonna try and keep this thread alive and breathing if only because its about begger su who has always intrigued me. True legend update

wow

been going to the wrong site for updates on this, seems that michelle yeoh's site has a day by day update plus tons of photo's:

http://michelleyeoh.info/Movie/truelegend.html

gene is all over chadni chwok

so i guess its up to me to keep true legend alive. looks like cung le has joined the cast. man he is all over the place.

Cung Le Joins True Legend as a Brigand Chief

-- True Legend --

Guo Xiao dong, Zhao Wen Zhuo, Cung Le, Jacky HeungTrue Legend is currently being filmed in an indoor set created on a soundstage in Huairou, Beijing. Seen on the set are director Yuen Wo Ping, cast members Zhao Wen Zhuo, Cung Le, Guo Xiao Dong, Jacky Heung, etc. The set features a brigand stockade built on a mountain.

Cung Le, the MMA, K1, Sanshou champion, has been specially flown in from USA to play the brigand chief who looks remarkably like Bull Demon King lifted straight off Journey to the West.

Cung Le is especially glad to be able to work with Eighth Master Yuen Wo Ping. Be it the role, the make-up or action, Cung Le'll do his level best and give his full cooperation. Being his first period film, he'll be like a student, humbly learning things on the set. He's also trying to learn to speak Chinese. With blessing from the production, he'll get to keep his costume as a memento.

Zhao Wen Zhuo finds it very different when working with Eighth Master. In the film, under the director's request, he has to execute an assortment of martial arts, including the Eighteen Arms. It's also very physically demanding as Yuen Woo Ping stresses very much on authentic fighting and True Legend contains much more action scenes than anything he has done before.

Zhao Wen Zhuo says it's very challenging to work with Eighth Master. A few days ago, they employed a mini-helicopter for shooting within an indoor set. He had to keep a lookout for the helicopter hovering above his head while fighting.

On the current scene at the stockade, Zhao Wen Zhuo says that this set gives an actor immense anticipation, for there are plenty of room and areas for martial arts choreography. He looks forward to his heart-stopping match against Cung Le as Beggar Su storms the stockade in a rescue operation whereby Yuen Wo Ping has also come up with many difficult moves, making use of the bridge, cave, fake hills, etc to showcase different martial arts. Netease, Sina