Thread: Shaolin Liu He Quan

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by HmorenoM View Post
    Ren, maybe is not exactly "on-topic" but now you mention that, i'd like to know about that principle theory and others like that if you know them
    I'll expand a little but I think much of it is on the forum already;

The six harmonies are split into the internal 3 and the external 3. They are things which much be in harmony for your Kung fu to be effective whatever its goal.

The 3 external harmonies are that the hand and foot move in co-ordination, as do the elbow and knee, as do the shoulder and hip. You will notice in shaolin form rarely do we stand in one stance and do a lot of hand moves. This is because every movement of the upperbody is co-ordinated with the lower. This means Shaolin has a very active footwork.

The 3 internal harmonies are far more interesting and vary according to the specific sect of Shaolin. I will not reveal the various different versions however I will state the standard version (not strictly from Shaolin but common accross china):

Qi Yu Li He ---- Breath/sensation and physical power in harmony
    Yi Yu Qi Ye ---- 'Conscious Intent' and breath/sensation in harmony
    Xin Yu Yi He ----- 'unconscious instinctual mind' and 'conscious intent' in harmony

Xin Yu Yi He is the ultimate goal of training Kung Fu. These profound harmonies are not just in Martial technique but in life in general.

The 6 harmonies are part of shaolin theory:

1 truth, 2 extremes, 3 sections, 4 sensations, 5 elements, 6 harmonies, 7 stars, 8 words etc.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 03-01-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks for the replies, so much information.

Ren are you Chinese yourself?

No problem,

No, I'm not Chinese, but I lived there for years.

Ren, another question I wanted to ask is who in your opinion is the most authentic Shaolin practicioner who is easily watchable online today?

Shi Yong Zi comes to mind but let me know what you think.

Tough question, watch for the old masters.

But yeah, Shi Yong Zhi (DiaoShanDuo I think?) is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    The six harmonies are split into the internal 3 and the external 3. They are things which much be in harmony for your Kung fu to be effective whatever its goal.

The 3 external harmonies are that the hand and foot move in co-ordination, as do the elbow and knee, as do the shoulder and hip. You will notice in shaolin form rarely do we stand in one stance and do a lot of hand moves. This is because every movement of the upperbody is co-ordinated with the lower. This means Shaolin has a very active footwork.

The 3 internal harmonies are far more interesting and vary according to the specific sect of Shaolin. I will not reveal the various different versions however I will state the standard version (not strictly from Shaolin but common accross china):

Qi Yu Li He ---- Breath/sensation and physical power in harmony
    Yi Yu Qi Ye ---- 'Conscious Intent' and breath/sensation in harmony
    Xin Yu Yi He ----- 'unconscious instinctual mind' and 'conscious intent' in harmony

Xin Yu Yi He is the ultimate goal of training Kung Fu. These profound harmonies are not just in Martial technique but in life in general.
    Very good explanation!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!