Thread: Wing Chun Stiff and Rigid?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Van, that sort of Wing Chun requires tremendous foot speed and foot work. It works best if you can get a guy to chase you. When I was a kid, I got guys to chase me and drilled them off of the jut and pac. The key is that you have to move. They were stationary for the camera.
    That sounds like your brand of Wing Chun. Running away. I'm sure it would work even better for you if you did the running while waving a white flag and calling out "uncle" at the top of your lungs. But I'm sure that was a big part of your childhood training.

Now that you're older do you still have guys chase you and then drill them when they are stationary for the camera? Do you make a lot of money selling those videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    That sounds like your brand of Wing Chun. Running away. I'm sure it would work even better for you if you did the running while waving a white flag and calling out "uncle" at the top of your lungs. But I'm sure that was a big part of your childhood training.

Now that you're older do you still have guys chase you and then drill them when they are stationary for the camera? Do you make a lot of money selling those videos?
    Your claim to fame is going to a smoker in the 80's and getting destroyed. It's not a brand of WC. It's just something that I did a lot when I was a teen fighting bigger stronger opponents. When Victor posted here, we talked a lot about this because he was a small guy. If you conception of WC is the clash and grapple, you probably loose against anyone who is the least bit heavier than you.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-08-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Your claim to fame is going to a smoker in the 80's and getting destroyed. It's not a brand of WC. It's just something that I did a lot when I was a teen fighting bigger stronger opponents. When Victor posted here, we talked a lot about this because he was a small guy. If you conception of WC is the clash and grapple, you probably loose against anyone who is the least bit heavier than you.
    Ah, now I get it. Little man's syndrome. Do you wear platform shoes and drive a truck with a lift kit on it too?

My brand of WC is to focus on relentlessly attacking the opponent instead of continually dealing with his attacks.

I rather move in, take a hit but dominate the fight, instead of staying on the back foot and continually receiving the opponent's attack.

Do not assume that, by focusing on defending, one can sneak in a hit and turn the game around. Most people can take a few hits unless your hits are like being hit by a truck. And don't forget while you are on the defensive your balance and power could be compromised and your strikes may not be as powerful as during bag work or training.

Dominate, focus on the task, keep attacking until your opponent is down. Then strike him some more just in case.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

And I'll put it this way...if I was those guys on those videos...I wouldn't post anything...ever.

It's not the fact that they're stationary per say, or that they have trouble speaking English, or that they are out of shape, can't punch, don't practice in a manner conducive to actual combat, have poor fighting posture...oh...wait....yes it is.

Carry on then.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I would leave alone how people talk. That can come of as pretty racist. More generally, it's just not a classy thing to say.

While it may not seem classy, nothing I said wasn't accurate. But racist?! One of my best friends is black, and he speaks very intelligently. I have another close friend who's white who can't articulate hardly at all. Nothing to do with race...stop assuming and more specifically implying things.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Ah, now I get it. Little man's syndrome. Do you wear platform shoes and drive a truck with a lift kit on it too?
    LOL - you're killing me Dave (Wayfaring)! Thanks for helping make working on a Saturday a bit more fun
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I don't think Dave meant anything by it. He's right in that it was a little tasteless to say something like that, as it doesn't have any direct link to the viability of one's wing chun skill. Indirectly though, it does give insight as to the general intelligence of an individual. If one cannot grasp something as fundamental as verbal speech to relay thoughts---how can they understand and relay understanding of the physicality's of combat?

Now I'm sure that the fellas in the video are decent people. They probably go to church, pay their bills, help others when they can, train with a self-perceived fervor that rivals an MMA fighter...and all that stuff.

But I keep thinking of that saying when I watch this video: "Better to let someone think you're an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it."
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 09-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.

wow this post has been derailed...

Thanks Humble guy for your humble post...

An imperial Tai Chi thanks your on Point! i agree with your philosphy concerning fighting....When you fight its not time to wait an defensive...its time to move in for the kill....
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"