Thread: Choy Lay Fut Fist

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    LOL, Donnie Yen in a CLF movie after Ip Man.

I wonder which style he'll think is better?

Well, since Donnie seems eager to move away from the Ip Man role, I can't think of a better (C)MA for him to perform than CLF.

There's supposedly another CLF movie in the works called Choy Lee Fut, also modern-day, starring Sammo Hung, Yuen Wah, and Bruce Leung (Bruce Liang). Hopefully it's not too much of a comedy. IMO, too much comedy in MA movies can ruin them. The action director is Sam Wong, who was a member of the Jackie Chan stunt team.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Well, since Donnie seems eager to move away from the Ip Man role, I can't think of a better (C)MA for him to perform than CLF.

There's supposedly another CLF movie in the works called Choy Lee Fut, also modern-day, starring Sammo Hung, Yuen Wah, and Bruce Leung (Bruce Liang). Hopefully it's not too much of a comedy. IMO, too much comedy in MA movies can ruin them. The action director is Sam Wong, who was a member of the Jackie Chan stunt team.
    what what what?! (in a Kyle's mom tone)

too much comedy ruins?

jimbo, are you not a fan of all the lucky stars films, dragons forever, drunken master, fearless hyena, half a loaf of kung fu, city hunter, skinny tiger fatty dragon, et al?

i think the comedy aspect (done with skilled ma of course) is brilliant! but then again, i'm a fan of slapstick. i think things like the mr. boo series, though, failed.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

We need to make a movie about Tarm Sarm.

They wanted to do one in the 60's I believe but Lun Chee sigung (I believe it was him but maybe someone else) would not let them saying nobody at the time was fitting to play Tarm Sarm.....
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    what what what?! (in a Kyle's mom tone)

too much comedy ruins?

jimbo, are you not a fan of all the lucky stars films, dragons forever, drunken master, fearless hyena, half a loaf of kung fu, city hunter, skinny tiger fatty dragon, et al?

i think the comedy aspect (done with skilled ma of course) is brilliant! but then again, i'm a fan of slapstick. i think things like the mr. boo series, though, failed.
    yutyeesam,
    I like comedy if it's done right, and not overdone. I like the movies you mentioned (except maybe City Hunter), but lots of 'comedy kung fu' movies get ruined by too much comedy, or really lame comedy. For a perfect, relatively recent example, check out Drunken Monkey. Early Jackie and Sammo understood comedy, and esp. Sammo knew how to combine it with drama. Plus, they were funny. Movies like Drunken Monkey are not. It takes a skilled hand to properly incorporate comedy into MA films.

I'd really like a CLF movie to be a good showcase for the art in a cinematic sense, and hopefully not end up being a 'silly movie'.