Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 shot dead in Conneticut school

You shouldn't find that too hard to believe when the media reports supposedly responsible adults stating that the CT murders could have been averted ( or at least minimized, whatever that means) if the teachers had been armed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    This is the glaring ******** of the problem isn't it.

Access.

How does a 12 year old get access like that and how does he romp down the street to school with that?

Parent fail? Social fail? Both? All?

More to come, I am certain of it as the spiral of gunsanity sweeps across the US.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If a 12 years old can get an illegal drug, he can get an illegal firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Nothing could have prevented this incident! Everything was legal within the present laws of the state. The X factors involve varying assumptions (ususlly false) was the nail on the coffin.
    1. In my state (IL) they have been making cuts for mental health for over 2 decades. A noted mental facility (Elgin) has been sending the not so obvious patients into the street with no sources for intervention or review. Just think what will happen when the GOP starts cutting health care initiaves and you do not have to wait. It's happenning now

2. The person commenting about POTUS and others about gun control has to be naive. He seems unaware that the NRA is just a sales position, where ALEC and others use that positioning to trick the American people into more purchases by their rhetoric. The memebrs are sane people but the guys at the top of the NRA chain are great at milking the divide they created. Since Obama's election and reelection. sales of the gun sectors has increased at least 4x's the rate of growth of any sector. That is some clever marketing and it is good.

3. Any politician who goes against the NRA is fish food. So people measure their words so as not to **** off those who usr the NRA /Grover Norquistling template. Are citizens so unjknowing that they do not realize that the NRA has power thanks to Citizens United (corporations are people, right and as a consequence money is power). Last election 1/2 billion spent on campaigning on both sides! What if we had put that money into people projects (for US citizens)!

4. We think mental health is a problem now with so many people falling from the cracks! Take away Education, Emergency Management (anyone remember Katrina and recent Sandy), Pollution, FDA, etc and US will turn into a 4th world country.
    Dity water, messed up drug surveillance manufacturing, education for only those who can affort it and what do you get? I wonder!

interesting... I think you mean 'retarded'.

Starts off saying Obama can't identify with people because he has protection from army... yeah, but he wasn't born with it, he had a life before he was president, and he has this experience and presumably his memory is longer than 5 years.

Then tries to explain that without a gun a citizen has no way to defend against a criminal.... Except for the fact the citizen lives in a society. A society that knows the law and knows when it is violated. Witnesses will help, police will respond, the law will defend your actions, the criminal has all these things against him. This knowledge is powerful. Also countered by the fact that if there are fewer guns fewer criminals will have them as well.

3rd this person tries to justify an AR-15 because it is weaker than a hunting rifle, seemingly unaware that what makes a AR-15 more dangerous is that even in semi auto mode it can fire like 6 rounds per second, has a large magazine and can be reloaded quickly.

Actual quote from article 'Common hunting rifles are far more deadly than an AR-15' Really!???! Ok, lets go to an enclosed room, you have a hunting rifle, I'll have an AR-15 and we'll see who wins.

****!! Read the comments below the article as well. Makes me worry for America.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 12-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.

I mean, did anyone stop to think the reason so many criminals in America have guns, is because they know the citizen might also have a gun and they want to be safe in their crime.

If guns were illegal the criminal would know the citizen doesn't have a gun, and so would be less inclined to use one himself because it makes his crime more serious and more punishable.

The criminals have guns because they need them to rob a potentially armed citizen. Similarly the citizens have guns to defend this. Its a spiral.

If you remove one, you would dramatically reduce the other, for this and the many other reasons discussed.

Wow, that is one of the most poorly written pieces of dreck my eyeballs have seen all day and I've read like 4 of David Jamesons posts already. That's saying a lot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2315100.html

This is interesting. And not just because it is nuanced and articulate.
    Last edited by wenshu; 12-20-2012 at 12:24 PM.

****!! Read the comments below the article as well. Makes me worry for America.
    Glad someone understood what I mean by "interesting".

so did the world end in australia yet?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Wow, that is one of the most poorly written pieces of dreck my eyeballs have seen all day and I've read like 4 of David Jamesons posts already. That's saying a lot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2315100.html

This is interesting. And not just because it is nuanced and articulate.
    I seriously just Laughed out loud at this. Thanks man...woman..whatever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    This is the glaring ******** of the problem isn't it.

Access.

How does a 12 year old get access like that and how does he romp down the street to school with that?

Parent fail? Social fail? Both? All?

More to come, I am certain of it as the spiral of gunsanity sweeps across the US.
    His parents gave it too him. Or atleast that's his story and that is what was reported. Possible that he just said that. But considering the last few weeks, I believe it.

But yes, guns are easy to buy. Legal or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    His parents gave it too him. Or atleast that's his story and that is what was reported. Possible that he just said that. But considering the last few weeks, I believe it.

But yes, guns are easy to buy. Legal or otherwise.
    so...complete parent fail.

What kind of idiot gives their kid a gun and doesn't teach them the basics...such as what caliber goes in it, never point it at anyone (the kid brandished it) and who knows what kind of crappy trigger discipline this kid had, I'm gonna guess none.

So, there is the huge problem with access. Just because you can get a gun doesn't mean you are responsible or knowledgeable enough to have it or use it properly.

There is too much defense of idiocy tied up in this gun rights stuff. You Americans don't actually think your home weapons will give you the upper hand on a corrupt government do you? Because if so, you Americans are failing badly at doing what you say you want the guns for.

Anyway, 700 mayors of American cities are gonna do something about it for the rest I guess.

Probably starting with ammunition tracking, banning of handguns in urban areas, go directly to jail if committing a crime with a gun and an eye towards literally throwing away the key on Murder 1 perps.

They definitely need some stricter gun laws if they don't want these things to pop up once a year or so and to even have "school shooting" moved into the common vernacular...that's just beyond apathy in my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Word. And what a surprise. The first time somebody pissed him off he pulled his gun on them. Who would have thought? an 11 year old overeacting. Let's arm them all, then EVERYONE will be safe!!!

Bottom line, 40% of guns are sold in America like a candy bar. No regs at all. If the US doesn't enforce the rules they have now, why would new ones help? Not that I'm against tougher restrictions.

Did some research on the NRA. Turns out they, and the GOP for that matter, were very pro regulation until they were hijacked by ultrarights in the 70's. There are even supreme court rulings and opinions by republican judges shitting all over these new right wingers in the NRA. Then Reagan came and money was needed..... or wanted. Worst president ever. We are still reeling from his mistakes.

I learned VERY young how to handle firearms. But it's not like we ever had unsupervised access. That would have been retarded. I think of all the stuff I blew up when I was little, a gun would not have been used responsibly regardless of the knowledge. That being said, the supervision was part of that education and as I got older, I learned the right and wrong of it. As a small child I could understand basic safety a lot more than I could appreciate the overall context of having and using a gun on my own terms. It wasn't until later on that I was able to use them alone. Ya know, for good reason.
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    so...complete parent fail.

What kind of idiot gives their kid a gun and doesn't teach them the basics...such as what caliber goes in it, never point it at anyone (the kid brandished it) and who knows what kind of crappy trigger discipline this kid had, I'm gonna guess none.

So, there is the huge problem with access. Just because you can get a gun doesn't mean you are responsible or knowledgeable enough to have it or use it properly.

There is too much defense of idiocy tied up in this gun rights stuff. You Americans don't actually think your home weapons will give you the upper hand on a corrupt government do you? Because if so, you Americans are failing badly at doing what you say you want the guns for.

Anyway, 700 mayors of American cities are gonna do something about it for the rest I guess.

Probably starting with ammunition tracking, banning of handguns in urban areas, go directly to jail if committing a crime with a gun and an eye towards literally throwing away the key on Murder 1 perps.

They definitely need some stricter gun laws if they don't want these things to pop up once a year or so and to even have "school shooting" moved into the common vernacular...that's just beyond apathy in my opinion.
    This is why I think its utter naivety to keep screaming for responsibility and accountability. Those words that the right side of the isle like the throw around so much. People aren't going to wake up and just be more responsible. We have to be able to deal with the situations when they aren't.

And yeah, at least here in the south, people really do think they are vanguard of freedom from the oppressive centralized gov't. Its pretty scary at times. I mean, you guys hear the news reports, see the jokes on Daily Show. But its a totally different thing when you're down here and its coming out of the mouths of everyone around you. They truly believe this stuff, ape-****....