Thread: What's wrong with sport fighting?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Thanks for the reply Frost, I get what you are saying, and take it on board, but some of it is simply alternative training, with the same opportunities for success or failure, depending on the effort applied.

I disagree that bare knuckle fighting care is a timidity thing. You can't hide behind your gear, you can hurt your hands, bunch of things.

Padded elbows makes sense, but still, its a big gun for a small party.

And you agree the knee stomp is pretty tricky to train.

We both know that even in MMA circles, there's the easy, middle and Hard Core crews that don't go that extent, that don't go hardcore in training. TCMA is no different.

When you talk about 'theoretically' what a top sport fighter might train, you can easilly speak 'theoretically' about how a TCMA should train, but the fact is, the reality is different.

Any good fighting style or MA will have 'the deadly' of their own design, which can't be trained, even in hardcore sparring, without special accommodations.

MMA rules changed from the initial NHB days, for example.

So, how much different is TCMA really, in training concept. It may not be as efficient or accelerated, but at the same time, its less conventional.
    for me the gear thing is important i have sparred both ways and I know what allows me to train most realistically and with real power and pressure, and I know from watching clips of both which i feel works the best, and for self defence i would agree both are needed but I know which i'd place most emphesis on, but its
    personal preference

In the end we train because we like it and want to, no amount of discussion will change that fact

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    In the end we train because we like it and want to, no amount of discussion will change that fact
    I think in the final analysis, anybody with any experience knows that training is better than not training. Lots of mouth boxers miss this subtlety, as we all know. No dehydrated Kung Fu out there for instant reconstitution.

And, if you are not training in a way that personally motivates you , and keeps you firing, you will lose the battle in the long run. IF it is to be a lifetime pursuit, it has to be something that you love, that you can endure and that inspires you.

It changes too...

Gear is good, we've started adding more to our training, but its a rolling experiment right now...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia