Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering how much does the mui fah jeong play into the training of these styles?
    All the lama schools have stories about this, if not exactly the same methods. In my tradition we start with Mui Fa Johng on 5 posts in a quincunx pattern (like the 5 spots on a gaming die) then move on to a slightly more elaborate take on the same form, Dai Johng Muih Fa, with a nine-post pattern. This is completely different from the fourteen-post needle-in-cotton posts.

The ability to jump up onto the posts is a difficult skill to achieve in itself. After becoming adept at the footwork the posts were gradually pared to a smaller diameter with a spokeshave until the tops were only a few inches in diameter. The problem with this sort of skill, according to my sifu, is that your steps become so habitual it is hard to vary your footwork--steps will always tend to be the same distance.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    All the lama schools have stories about this, if not exactly the same methods. In my tradition we start with Mui Fa Johng on 5 posts in a quincunx pattern (like the 5 spots on a gaming die) then move on to a slightly more elaborate take on the same form, Dai Johng Muih Fa, with a nine-post pattern. This is completely different from the fourteen-post needle-in-cotton posts.

The ability to jump up onto the posts is a difficult skill to achieve in itself. After becoming adept at the footwork the posts were gradually pared to a smaller diameter with a spokeshave until the tops were only a few inches in diameter. The problem with this sort of skill, according to my sifu, is that your steps become so habitual it is hard to vary your footwork--steps will always tend to be the same distance.
    Thats some interesting stuff. We have different mui fah patterns as well...not to far though to actually know them.

Hahahaha we just use a step up to them hahahaha The way we work it is that hardwiring these steps isn't bad, as long as you learn the different angles and the like. Hard to explain though, but it makes sense when fighting hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    a we just use a step up to them
    That seems to be the norm nowadays. But it used to be a display of skill, like getting back onto a lei tai after being knocked off. Try this: the jong should be taller than head height and you jump up to cap the top with your hands, then pull yourself up as if leapfrogging the post but land on your feet. The balancing is easy compared to the mount. I was always afraid I would overshoot and break my neck. Instead, I lost some chin skin by not being committed to the vault. It's a cruel and unforgiving training partner...but then you get the bragging rights. A manly display of strength. That's what kung fu is about, no?
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

ah thats a nice solution.

The highest I was able to jump up was chest height but today waist height is what I maintain. the old back is giving out these days

Mostly I do the patterns on 2' heigh and 4" wide post .

its nice to see a resurgence in this type of training even if its mostly being done by Lion Dance Teams

this clip brings back funny memories and scars
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h82qJYVZBro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxz6Bt80zuc