Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Xin Yi related sets

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    kanjiaquan? how about a 1 word thesis?

"liuhequan"

compare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEP54fBMuU
    Hmm, Brett, are you sure that video is labeled right? Just checking.
    As I have always seen that form you are doing called Shaolin 6 Harmony Boxing, the Liehe Quan set.

Kanjia (Protect the Headquarters or Home or School) Quan sets are a long series of sets usually. They look entirely different from that one that you show on the video.

The Shaolin Kanjia Quan that I have ever seen is like this:
    http://www.56.com/u63/v_MTk4MTk4NTI.html

actually the namaste bow is also an important opening and closing qigong movement. usually it is done by circling the arms from out wide up over your head, coordinated with the breath, and at the very top you are bringing a "qi ball" into the laogong points on your palms. then bringing it in front of your chest.

this is what really resets your qi at the end or gets it circulating at the start. so whether buddhist or not, it is really important to do this movement, not just the raising and lower of the palms.

also when starting the routines, people hold their fists too wide apart at the waist. they should be held closer to the front of the dantian so as to not "leak" qi. if you open your fists, your fingertips should be able to touch those on the opposite hand.

overlooking this minor detail also results in less energy when running your form.

Just so I'm on the same page when both of you are talking about "namaste bow" we are talking about this 印合掌 yin hezhang. We use this yin as well in various sets and training including horse standing for beginning students.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 10-31-2009 at 06:08 AM.

yes, exactly. joined palms.

basics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGb4SJ8NEM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDRkqO4Y7U4

In looking at the stiff leg kicks these video's I think we do this kind of kick differently. Although the dynamics of in Shi De Yang's stiff kick may be using the same 'leg shorting' we use.

The stiff-legged kicks used in our lineage of Shaolin are all done at eyebrow height and do not go above the head. The names of some of the stiff leg kicks we do are:

Qi Mei Tui (齊眉腿)–Stop at Eyebrow Leg
    Guan Er Tui (貫耳腿)–Pierce Ear Leg
    Xie Guan Er Tui (斜貫耳腿)–Slanting Pierce Ear Leg, also called Xie Gua Tui (斜掛腿)
    Wai BaiTui (外擺腿)–Outside Swing Leg, also called Shun Feng Bai Tui (順風擺腿)–Go with Wind Swing Legs.

These kicks generate power and speed by using a totally different kind of internal dynamic than do similar looking kicks which go above the head. Basically power and speed is generated by shortening the arc of the leg at the pelvis during the kick.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 10-30-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Back to Xin Yi quan,

Chang Hu Xin YI men is an important set. THe vast majority around in dengfeng is from tagou from liu baoshan.

I have videos of liu bao shaon, his second son liu hai qin and his third son liu hai ke and they all do it slightly differently, also it is different again in the book written by first so liuhaichao. SHows you how much forms can vary if they vary within the same family.

Tagous is really a great version. Chang hu xin yi men forms a couple with qi xing quan. They are tagous best forms, and since tagou is the biggest school in.. the world pretty much (20,000 students) this must be the most frequently practiced shaolin form.

The version in Yongxins books is actually very similar, except that it uses different basics. It uses hammers instead of fists, and uses a different guarding stance, although with the same meaning. It is pretty much the same applications in the same order. Very interesting variation though, it fits in with the rest of shaolins major forms much more closely than tagous.

Here is another version

http://www.56.com/u98/v_MjAxMTY0NDc.html

On the video, ignore the incorrect subtitles. The first form is Da tongbei quan the second form is Zhaoyang quan (guan chao quan) the third is changhuxinyimen, but it appears to be done with more sections than the standard. DOes anyone know this performer or where this version is from?

this version, although way too fast and flowery, is the only one i've seen that matches the shaolin encyclopedia all the way. same direction and everything. even ends in mabu instead of gongbu like most.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI0ODMyMjg=.html

this version, although way too fast and flowery, is the only one i've seen that matches the shaolin encyclopedia all the way. same direction and everything. even ends in mabu instead of gongbu like most.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI0ODMyMjg=.html
    Yeah, this is pretty much exactly Tagous version (except tagou ends with gong bu). This performance is from Wushu Guan.

THis is the standard, same form but very different look to the one in YongXIns yellow book.

what do you guys have for the application of the move following the danbian at the beginning, where you shrink in and pull both fists into the dantian area?

that would also be master yang guiwu

You're sure of that, are you LFJ? Do you have any idea how many folk masters I've seen demonstrate in Dengfeng?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

well, "that would also be master yang guiwu".

what do you guys have for the application of the move following the danbian at the beginning, where you shrink in and pull both fists into the dantian area?
    I can do it as a takedown, if my wrists are grabbed.
    Also as a deflection against a punch or grab and end with joint lock if necessary at end.

here's the salute.

here's the salute.
    Hi LFJ
    Do you know any of these folks well enough to ask them about this salute.

I'm working on a post about it and other salutes/mudra's used in Shaolin.
    cheers,
    r.

yang guiwu, no i dont know him. think he's pretty old and sickly now, doesnt teach as far as i know.

i can ask master deyang next time though.