Thread: Luohan Quan

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Hi Sal
    How many old Shaolin traditions have you run across that use "Shaolin Luohan Men" 纙漢門 as a discriptor?

I understand that Sun Yu Fung's Lohan Men and Miao Xing's Luohan are not the same. What is your understanding of the term "Luohan Men"?
    r.
    No, I've only come across Shaolin Luohan Men in reference to Sun Yufung's martial arts, in the Shandong area. Sun's teacher Yuan Tung Tan was from the Shrine areas of Shaolin, far as I know. So, Yuan might have taught a lot of different Shaolin sets under the name of Luohan.

Miao Xing's Luohan was different. I think his sets were from directly from the main Shaolin school.

There is also the Luohan style that comes from (Zi Ran style's) Wan Laisheng's Luohan teacher, who was Liu Bai Chuan (whose teacher was Yang Cheng Yun). Liu learned “Xiao Luohan” and “Luohan Shenda” from Yang.

And there was the Luohan Quan that Shi De Gen taught to those in the Dengfeng area of Henan (Shaolin area), such as Zhu tianxi and others.

None of these Luohan sets from these 4 different lineages are the same at all.
    Some of it is Hong Quan sets and Taizu Quan sets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    No, I've only come across Shaolin Luohan Men in reference to Sun Yufung's martial arts, in the Shandong area. Sun's teacher Yuan Tung Tan was from the Shrine areas of Shaolin, far as I know. So, Yuan might have taught a lot of different Shaolin sets under the name of Luohan.

Miao Xing's Luohan was different. I think his sets were from directly from the main Shaolin school.

There is also the Luohan style that comes from (Zi Ran style's) Wan Laisheng's Luohan teacher, who was Liu Bai Chuan (whose teacher was Yang Cheng Yun). Liu learned “Xiao Luohan” and “Luohan Shenda” from Yang.

And there was the Luohan Quan that Shi De Gen taught to those in the Dengfeng area of Henan (Shaolin area), such as Zhu tianxi and others.

None of these Luohan sets from these 4 different lineages are the same at all.
    Some of it is Hong Quan sets and Taizu Quan sets as well.

羅漢門
    派 - Pai
    家 - Jia
    門 - Gate
    Each of these terms have a different implication when used to describe a martial arts tradition.

Although there are many specific sets that have the character's 羅漢 Luohan in their name, "Shaolin Luohan Quan" and :Shaolin Luohan Men" were a way of say that a martial art tradition came from "Shaolin" or, out "from the gate/school of Shaolin". If I'm reading you correctly, I would agree that these Shaolin traditions draw or are based on the material developed by Jue Yuan, and Bai Yufeng combined with older Shaolin methods and with Hong (洪) Quan. Shaolin Luohan school had a large number of sets not just 18.

I as well know that there are at least four other Shaolin Luohan traditions besides the one my teacher learned - all came from Henan.. However, none of the sets from these different lineages are the same. Having said that there are some similarities in terms of basics and techniques.

1. Sun Yufung's Louhan which comes from the Shandong area. Sun's teacher was Yuan Tung Tan was from Luoyang, far as I know.

2. The Luohan style that cames from Liu Bai Chuan taught by Yang Cheng Yun.

3. There is a Luohan tradition taught by Shi De Gen.

4. and Miao Xing's Luohan style.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 09-28-2009 at 05:50 PM.