Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Beijing Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Not directly Olympic, but one of the many co-brands. It's Yao Ming versus Lebron James.
    I think I recall hearing a tale that "Coke Adds Life" was apparently mis-translated early in the history of the beverage in China to "Coke brings your ancestors back to life".
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I think I recall hearing a tale that "Coke Adds Life" was apparently mis-translated early in the history of the beverage in China to "Coke brings your ancestors back to life".
    The funniest and completely true version of this was when American car manufacturers were horrifed to learn that in Spanish speaking markets the "Chevy Nova" was misunderstood to be "Chevy NO va" or "Chevy, it doesn't work"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

officially boycotting Olympics

i will not watch it or have anything to do with it. I think that the Olympic committee should re-evaluate WHERE it decides to Hold the olympic games. With China's Human rights violations against The Tibetan People, Their Own people, not to mention the myriad of Animal Cruelty violations against the country, i think Bejing is a poor choice to hold these games.
    I saw a recent report on the news about the Chinese government putting out Propaganda to its citizens about "ettiquette" when dealing with Westerners. There is a "what not to do" list that states what you can and cannot talk about with Westerners. In a nutshell on this list the donts are "cannot discuss your job, or your feelings about the world, and in turn the chinese people are not to do the same." amongst other natural conversation topics. It would seem that the Communists over there are fearful of the massive influx of westerners to their country and that the portion of the chinese populous who want democracy might be encouraged to further speak out against the current regime of government(my Opinion).
    Its hard for me to boycott this because i have watched the olympic games ever since i was a kid. I guess i will be spending more time outside enjoying nature and Austin. May be a blessing in disguise for me and a blessing in disguise for the Millions of people in China who want a fair democracy to replace the communist BS that pollutes and taints that country. I hope the USA does well and i hope the Communists get a dose of revolution in that country as a result of Westerners coming over.
    TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Dude, they had an Olympics in NAZI GERMANY! They obviously have no standards

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

kou ke kou le

According to urban legend, one of the original translations for coca cola into Mandarin translated into "bite the wax tadpole".

Of course, you've all seen our Shaolin Soda thread, yes?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

my si hing Steve Ventura was in China in the early 80's and back then it was "Shaolin Coke" (I guess they escaped corporate law suits back then)... wonder if he still has the bottle somewhere?

Countdown to Beijing

There's a pic of me drinking Jackie Chan soda in front of Shaolin Temple. I didn't save the can.

Check this out: Olympics 2008 Monkey Movie - BBC Sport
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Olympics Opening

Simply outstanding a breath taking opening ceremony
    Kune Belay Sau

Yea I was at work and managed to sneak the Live Stream on for 10 or so minutes, just so happened to be the Wushu bit.

I thought I would watch the whole thing in the evening when it was on, but BBC only played highlights (and this was JUST from the countdown). Gotta say I am gutted to have missed it, I should have stayed off work and gone to Trafalgar Square to watch it.

I know its early, but does anyone know where I can watch this awesome event in full!

C

I found a scary parallel to the '36 Olympics in Berlin
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Bravo

Fan freaking tastic! Bravo! It was an opening ceremony that will never be rivalled! Only China can pull this off! Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

free tibet
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

oh just wonderful

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...1,439541.story

What a GREAT start to the opening of the games in such a friendly and accomodating Land

Peace? TWS

It was like

ooh, wow, aah--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HM6hIuJFxo

for people missed it.

some high lites from south korea tv.