Thread: Scott's Judo log

Threaded View

1/10
    Went to Pitt Grappling Club and South Hills Judo
    Pitt:
    Went over how to shoot. 4 steps: 1 drop 2 penetrate 3 other leg 4 turn corner and drive. This was the first time I ever learned how to shoot properly. I didn't absorb it too well.

Then we went over ways to block a shot. 1 hands 2 forarms 3 sprawl.

Some ways to break posture of an opponent in your guard. 1 Do a crunch (move legs in) 2 grab the elbows and pull 3 arm drag 4 pulling the head.

Went over pendulum sweep with gift wrap (from guard). Two on one arm drag, sit up behind and hug opponent, with foot in hip angle as if attacking with armbar (to get the gift wrap when opponent pulls arm back get it), right arm under their left leg, swing your left leg up then down. The result is you in mount with the gift wrap (use your weight to keep it) pin opposite arm down with your knee. We acted like we were going for choke to armbar.

Then, from mount we used the giftwrap to get rear mount. Put right foot by opponents hip, go off to the side and roll below them, your hooks are basically in.

After the Pitt practice Frodo and I went to the South Hills Judo Club
    Warm ups

Ne waza. Drills from turtle posistion.
    On to walking Uchi Comi

I did O goshi going backwards. I need to remember when pulling with the left hand to have it up and "look at the watch". I also need to bend my knees and get my hips really low.

For the forward walking uchi comi I did ouchi gari Once again I need to get low.

On to Randori. I actually didn't get tossed too much. I blocked a few ippon attempts by just puttin all of my weight on their lower back, kind of sprawling, we both went down but I was on their backs (it happened with two people). I got two throws, weren't really judo though. The one I got a side body lock and picked the guy up and dropped him. The other I got one leg, lifted it in the air and sweeped the other. I'm just happy I wasn't completely owned.
    1/11 - probably won't do anything due to working too much.

I haven't made it to the gym this week for any lifting. I am thinking about a program of conditioning rather than strength. I want to up my endurance for activities such as Judo and grappling. I want to keep weights as part of this, but I want to also be able to do my conditioning with just bodyweight if I can't make it to the gym for some reason. I'll keep this log posted with any details.

Nutrition wise I've been pretty good lately. Not eating so much sugar (no sugary treats at all) and trying to keep the eating clean. I've been buying skim milk and whole grain products when I can. I've been eating some fatty foods, like bacon, but nobodys perfect.

1/12
    Went to Pitt Grappling Club, Bobby taught.
    Scissors sweep.
    Open guard and shrimp back a little. Grab his right sleeve with my left hand, grab his right lapel with my right hand, pull him back and onto my right leg (left leg on ground to block his right leg). Use scissor motion of legs for the sweep.

Americana
    Grab collar (as if to go for choke) so opponent will block, press the arm down with the right hand. Pin arm down with left hand. slide the right hand under and get your grip. lower head down and move the elbow towards the hip. Raise to complete.

We did some X guard stuff but I just kept working the basics.

Rolled with three people.
    Phil- completely owned me

Warren- beat me by positions, he constantly attacked and I managed to avoid all of the submissions.

Ryan- Submitted him once by armbar, controlled him the whole time.

1/15
    Went to South Hills Judo Club
    went over
    Harai Goshi
    if the opponent resisted then we went to
    Ouchi Gari
    Get them on one foot during kazushi. Use hip to circle leg through. Stay on balls of feet.

Randori- got some good throws and got thrown also. I got the same throws on everyone. Ouchi gari and Osoto Gari.

Groundwork. Bobby from the Pitt Grappling Club is now teaching BJJ at the South Hills Judo Club.
    armbar from guard
    1 Break down arm 2 foot in hip (not too wide) 3 leg across back (breaking them down) 4 swing leg over (thumb up, press knees together) 5 raise hips

from failed armbar to triangle

they pull arm out, grab gi around shoulder to secure them down. Get your left leg over the head. Push their arm accross. readjust your feet if you need to. Pull down head and raise hips.

From failed triangle to armbar.
    they posture back. Push their head down and leg over.

This progression was from attacking their right arm, to the triangle, to the left arm.

Kimura from guard.

Opponent is lazy or offbalanced so they post on the mat. Sit up reach over and grab opponents wrist. Reach over and figure 4 grip you own wrist. Get perpendicular to your opponent with one leg high on their back. Bend the elbow (can be greater than 90 degree angle) and push back. If you are perpendicular, keep theri hand on your thigh when beggining to extend.

We then did some ne waza randori.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-26-2007 at 05:54 AM.
    Bless you