Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Hybrid View

It looks like everyone in that pic just received word of wrestling being cut over the PA system.

I gotta agree, wrestling being cut is ridiculous. I would believe silly decisions like this come down to money, especially as far as golf replacing it is concerned. I would think there's a lot more advertising to be sold during a game of golf (though I have no idea if/how individual games affect advertising in the Olympics). Just a shot in the dark, though, I rarely have any idea what I'm talking about.

I did a lot of research on the Olympics when wushu made its 2008 bid

A goodly chunk of my initial research (now very dated) was contained in China Gets the Gold! The Beijing Olympics by Gene Ching & Andy Ching, published online over a decade ago. There are so many misconceptions about the Olympics and how it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If wrestling goes than it is quite obvious that no sport is safe.
    No sport has ever been safe. You're dealing with world class competitors from a very disparate array of sports, each jockeying to grab some spotlight for their event. Competitive? You know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    I would think there's a lot more advertising to be sold during a game of golf (though I have no idea if/how individual games affect advertising in the Olympics).
    True for the US, UK and Japan perhaps, but you must consider that the Olympics is international so there are many games that are popular in other regions. The Olympics is the ultimate international competition - each nation focuses on its own fav sports. The advertising money has got to be totally crazy. Imagine how many factors you'd have to take into account internationally.

Note that Wrestling may still have a chance. This decision, to my understanding, isn't final yet.

Why you all hating on roller derby?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

True for the US, UK and Japan perhaps, but you must consider that the Olympics is international so there are many games that are popular in other regions.
    Well sure, and ideally it'd be great for every region to have equal pull. But I'm forced to believe the more wealthy any given region is, the more pull it has with the IOC.

I'm not basing that on any concrete knowledge as to the inner workings of that organization, obviously. It's all speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    It looks like everyone in that pic just received word of wrestling being cut over the PA system.
    read this, looked back at pic, read this again...still laughing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Really? Wrestling?! One of the defining sports in the Olympic revival and it is not being renewed. Hm.

Okay, so I've never watched Olymic events and have no interest but it still seems shameful.

Wushu, I suppose has as much right to international notice as Tae Kwon Do ...but it's embarrassing for "real" martial artists.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity