Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new donnie yen flick-14 blades

2/11/2010

A Chinese New Year release.

CNY falls on Valentine's day this year. It'll be a day to wear a lot of RED
    Yen says he enjoyed exploring villain role
    By MIN LEE (AP) – 8 hours ago

HONG KONG — Action star Donnie Yen says he signed on to play an ancient Chinese secret service agent in his new film — even though it was another kung fu epic — because he wanted to tackle the role of a villain who discovers his humanity.

Historical or martial arts blockbusters have dominated the booming mainland Chinese film market in recent years — and Yen is one of the genre's biggest stars. The mainland-born, Hong Kong and Boston-raised actor most recently starred in the hit biopic of Bruce Lee's teacher, "Ip Man." Other recent action credits include "Hero," "Seven Swords," "Flash Point," "Dragon Tiger Gate" and "An Empress and the Warriors."

Promoting his new movie "14 Blades" in Hong Kong on Tuesday, Yen told reporters while he's always looking to broaden his repertoire, he agreed to another action flick because he could explore a villain's transformation.

Hong Kong director Daniel Lee's kung fu thriller revolves around the Chinese emperor's secret service in the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644) — the "Jin Yi Wei" — which Yen described as orphans who were trained into ruthless killers used to pursue the emperor's personal vendettas. Yen plays Qing Long, a secret service agent who's betrayed and hunted by his colleagues. He falls in love while on the run, discovering his compassion after years of senseless killing.

"14 Blades" describes how the relationship transformed "a killing machine to a real human being," Yen said.

"This is very different from the other ancient Chinese epics I've starred in," he said.

Yen, a veteran action star who once trained with Jet Li's teacher in Beijing, joked that his co-star, newcomer Kate Tsui, was a clumsy fighter — but added that actual kung fu prowess doesn't matter as much as capturing a fighter's spirit.

"Whether you know kung fu isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is whether you can project the aura of an ancient fighter," he said.

"14 Blades" is scheduled to be released on Feb. 11.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

For Chinese New Year...

There's a trailer - follow the link for it.
    "14 Blades" to hit big screen in Feb.
    2010-01-04 10:32

Kungfu film "14 Blades" will hit the big screen on February 4th. The trailer has been released, and it's nearly 4 minutes long. Let's take a look.

The Ming Dynasty action film tells the story of how a loyal bodyguard of the emperor is trapped and his escape with his sweetheart. "14 Blades" is described as the epic story of a secret agent in ancient

China. It weaves the themes of loyalty, chivalry, brotherhood and of course romance. It's expected to showcase a dazzling mix of martial art and espionage set against soul-stirring and majestic scenes.

Under the helm of director Daniel Lee, the period film is led by Kungfu star Donnie Yen and mainland A-list actress Zhao Wei. Lee has promised an action-packed 60 minutes and calls the film an updated version of the action blockbuster "Bodyguards and Assassins," which also stars Donnie Yen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New trailer

14 BLADES 2010 NEW TRAILER

Sammo looks good. Zhao Wei better not cry. Was that Captain Jack Sparrow?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens this Thursday

With True Legend opening next week, the Year of the Tiger is off to a great start for martial arts films.

Kungfu epic '14 Blades' expected to become blockbuster hit
    By Channel NewsAsia's China Correspondent Glenda Chong | Posted: 03 February 2010 1601 hrs

SHANGHAI : MediaCorp Raintree Picture's latest production, kungfu flick "14 Blades", is set in the Ming Dynasty and tells the story of a secret agent in ancient China.

The title refers to the blades bodyguards used to kill their victims; eight for torturing, five for killing and the last is for suicide should they fail their mission.

The movie weaves in themes of loyalty, chivalry and brotherhood.

"14 Blades" showcases a dazzling mix of martial arts and espionage in majestic, soul-stirring scenes.

Shot in Hengdian and Ningxia Province in China, with a budget of almost US$15 million (S$2.1 million), the blockbuster movie is directed by Hong Kong director Daniel Lee and features Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen as the male lead.

"Everytime I take on a role, I like to bring something fresh and new to the audience... '14 Blades' will bring a whole set of standards to Wuxia dianyin [Wuxia films]," said Yen.

Also starring in the movie is MediaCorp's Qi Yu Wu, who had previously acted alongside Yen in the 2008 film "Painted Skin".

He even had to undergo marital arts training before filming started.

Said Qi, "Because there's a lot of action in this movie, so before the production start, I went to Hengdian to have three weeks action training and also horse riding...

"'14 Blades' was a very good experience because an actor I'm working with a lot of passionate filmmakers, directors, actors ... I feel everyone is trying their best and Donnie, Zhao Wei and Wu Chun, they're very passionate. They want to do 110 per cent to 120 per cent - so I need to push myself to be the best."

"14 Blades", Raintree's second collaboration in China, is expected to be a box office hit and rake in more than US$30 million (S$42.2 million) on the mainland.

"14 Blades" opens on Thursday in China and Singapore.
    Cinematheque: Kung Fu star Donnie Yen sets out on a deadly mission in 14 Blades

Can we ever get enough of kung fu movies? We don't think so, and are therefore thankful to the Chinese movie industry for offering us its never ending stream of beautifully set fighting epics. This time, we´ll cuddle up in the cinemas to 14 Blades,(锦衣卫) a 14th century Ming-era martial arts movie from director Daniel Lee starring Donnie Yen and Vicki Zhao.

The movie will be the first pairing of Donnie Yen with the director of Black Mask, Dragon Squad and Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon.

This martial arts epic stars certified Kung Fu badass Donnie Yen in the role of Qinglong, or Green Dragon. He is the best of the so called Jinyiwei, an imperial elite force of assassins recruited from street orphans. Jinyiwei were masters of the 14 Blades, eight being for torture, five for killing, and the last blade being reserved for suicide when a mission failed. When the emperor is kidnapped and the court taken over, Qinglong takes on the mission of restoring the emperor to power.

Apart from starring Chun Wu, "the hottest teen idol in Asia", we will also see Zhao Wei (Vicki Zhao), who must have had a quite busy year, playing the role of Mulan, starring in both The Foundation of a Republic and John Woo's Red Cliff: Part II, as well as recording 30 episodes of Chinese TV drama An Epic of a Woman (Yi ge nü ren de shi shi). In 14 Blades her role is called Qiaohua, a daughter of a safe house proprietor who "nurses the wounded Qinglong (Donnie Yen) back to health reluctantly".

Some netizens have suggested that the movie is in fact a remake of a 1984 Shaw Brothers film called Secret Service Of The Imperial Court (Gam yee wai). This due to their striking similarities:

Both are set during the late Ming Dynasty and center on an elite team of highly trained warriors loyal to the emperor. Both feature a power-hungry eunuch who has wrested control of the government from the weakened emperor and taken over the elite band of warriors for use in ridding himself of imperial loyalists. Both films have an elite team member who has remained loyal to the emperor and becomes a fugitive forced to fight his former comrades in order to protect the empire.

The film, budgeted at $20 million, is produced by Three Kingdoms producer Susanna Tsang through her Hong Kong-based Visualizer Film Prods. and mainland China's Shanghai Film Group. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tsang said, "14 Blades is really the first James Bond film from China and is based on historical fact. Audiences from China and abroad have never seen this type of Chinese movie before."

But, during the press conference, Yen showed a much humbler attitude regarding his status as China's current number one martial arts star:

I never thought I´d be called the "King of King Fu" said Yen. Every actor has their own style. Each actor who has been performing for many years makes their own contributions. It´s luck that some people like my films.

Daniel Lee has promised a full hour´s worth of fighting action while Yen promised the film has more to offer than just kung fu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

there seems to be some jealousy going on..every interview i read from chinese filmmakers they are all commenting on avatar...

Donnie Yen 14 Blades Interview: Looking Forward to Working with Tony Jaa

What makes Green Dragon in 14 Blades different?
    Donnie Yen: The character Green Dragon is something I've never tried before, for this person is neither good nor evil. I have done two similar roles before, one was Once Upon a Time in China, but it wasn't fully fleshed out. Initially, I didn't have confidence to bring out something fresh in this character, but director Daniel Lee told me to approach it from a villainous angle, then I started getting a hang of it. Personally, I'm completely different from Green Dragon, so I find this character very novel, for it's the exact opposite of my real life.

Based on what you've said, it seems that you're spending more time on acting than action?
    Donnie Yen: You can say that, I'm spending more "kungfu" on this area. I'm most satisfied with Bodyguards and Assassins, its emotional scenes are more intricate than Ip Man, and has more depth. At first, I was worried that I might not be able to handle the role as a gambler well, I was pondering if I should accept the film. Actually, my first offer was the beggar, but I insisted on turning it down, or I'd be the best fighter, nothing new. Subsequently, Peter Chan thought of giving me the role of the rickshaw puller, if I did that role, it would definitely be very different from what you saw. But, eventually, Peter Chan helped me rewrote this gambler character for me. My acting will be more mature, in particular, in Ip man 2 and Legend of Chen Zhen.

You've directed a few films before, would you consider pursuing this path?
    Donnie Yen: I have certainly thought of directing, but not right now, for now, I'm focusing on raising my acting skills even ****her. When I have no more drive as an actor, I'd stop acting and become a director, whether it's a film I'm in or direct, I hope to leave behind sweet memories.

Press conferences for 14 Blades and Yuen Wo Ping's True Legend are being held on the same day, the media will inevitably be comparing these two films.
    Donnie Yen: I don't think 14 Blades' rival is True Legend, our opponents are all films released in the same period. Besides, 14 Blades and True Legend belong to different genre, one is wuxia, the other is kungfu, it's like comparing apples and oranges. It'd be more fitting to compare it with Ip Man 2 or Legend of Chen Zhen.

14 Blades is a film with excellent action, and its drama is pretty decent. Wuxia films have been around for decades, and have become part of many people's lives, and the audiences have certain demands. I have been filming for over 2 decades, encountering countless scenes, what I'm after nowadays is not outstanding action, for that is already a part of my film. I hope everyone would support our own Chinese films, can't let Avatar be the sole blockbuster.

Yuen Wo Ping was your mentor, what do you think of the two movies clashing in the theatres?
    Donnie Yen: Without Yuen Wo Ping's induction, I wouldn't have entered the industry. It's been 27 years, when I was 19, Yuen Wo Ping brought me into this trade, but we went our own ways more than 10 years ago. I'm eternally grateful to and respectful of him. I would still support his films if there's a chance, and learn from him.

What are your plans for this year?
    Donnie Yen: There are a few works in the pipeline, very tightly packed. In March, I'll be doing Guan Yun Chang, in summer, might be working with director Peter Chan again. There are many film offers towards the end of the year, but I haven't made up my mind, 7 to 8 scripts, it's impossible for me to do all of them, I'd choose 2, 3 that gives me ample room to develop.

Heard that you're collaborating with Tony Jaa and there would have a decisive showdown?
    Donnie Yen: Indeed, there's such a plan, director Stanley Tong and Raymond Wong are helping me invite Tony Jaa, I hope they'll succeed, but can't divulge the details. Hunan TV

Yen and Jaa.....please make that happen oh movie gods
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I feel ya, Lucas

Yen vs. Jaa would be the Godzilla vs. King Kong of kung fu cinema 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ya except we all know godzilla shoulda wtfpwnd kingkongs monkey ass

i hated that they were the same size....ya a stupid monkey beating freaking GODZILLA back into the sea. not likely

/endrant

haha

not many people have actually seen that old flick.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    14 BLADES 2010 NEW TRAILER

Sammo looks good. Zhao Wei better not cry. Was that Captain Jack Sparrow?
    This movie looks no bueno...the raincoats were a nice touch.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yen vs. Jaa would be the Godzilla vs. King Kong of kung fu cinema 2010.
    I've been hoping for a Yen vs. Jaa movie for years. I'm not sure how the respective egos would allow it, but it would be the number one onscreen matchup. Or, in the least, have them fight to a draw, and eventually team up at the end (so neither one has to 'lose'). Problem is, then you'd have to bring in a villain, or a group of villains, that would be worthy of facing both Jaa and Yen. Maybe Kim Won-Jin? However it happens, they need to do it, and soon, before one or both are too old. A Jackie Chan/Jet Li showdown would have been so much better back in the '80s/early '90s than it was in Forbidden Kingdom.

Lucas:

I saw King Kong vs. Godzilla back in the early '70s. Even then, I thought the gorilla suit was probably the worst monster suit of all time. And they had to make King Kong bigger than the original; otherwise, Godzilla could've squashed him like a bug.

Now Playing

in Asia.
    Kung fu tussle
    14 Blades offers romance, plenty of hunks and beauties plus heart-stopping action to draw in the crowd
    by Sharon Wong

COMEDIES are the usual cinematic fare for Chinese New Year but if you are game for something different this year, check out 14 Blades.

It offers a touch of romance, and plenty of hunks and beauties in the form of kungfu master Donnie Yen, singer-turned-actor Wu Chun (of the Taiwanese group Fahrenheit), Vickie Zhao and Kate Tsui. There is also heart-stopping action to boot.

Director Daniel Lee is confident these will draw in the crowd to his movie about the Jinyiwei, an elite group of secret service men in the Ming Dynasty who answer only to the Emperor.

A betrayal causes the head of the Jinyiwei to go on the run, pursued by deadly enemies. Along the way, he finds love, and discovers his duty and above all, himself.

Lee, who was in town recently with Wu Chun to promote the movie, admitted that Donnie Yen was his choice to play the lead character of Qing Long right from the beginning.

"Everybody knows he’s one of the top martial arts actors around. But he also has that aura that can lean towards either good or evil.

"As a villain, he instils fear in anybody who looks upon him but when he changes to good, he is also believable. That initial villain image is important for the movie and Donnie is perfect in that."

As for Wu, who plays the leader of a band of desert thieves, Lee said he wanted to bring out another side of the young singer to the audience.

"Wu already has a certain image as a singer. In this movie, there will be more to him than what people normally see. Wu is able to give that extra as a desert thief in search of something more, to the audience."

Wu felt that this movie is an important milestone for him. He sees it as a stepping stone to show off his other capabilities. "I’ve seen and learned a lot in this movie. "It’s an invaluable experience for me and it will help me prepare for future roles."

In preparation to execute the martial moves required of him in the movie, where he fights not only with Yen but also Kate Tsui, Wu not only took up martial arts training that focused on swordplay but also watched the others in action.

"The director was very clear on what he wanted and I tried to capture the feel of the character by observing and learning from others," he said. "I also loved the martial arts training. I had studied boxing as well as some martial arts before so it was not much of a problem."

However, Wu admitted that the idea of fighting with Yen put him under some pressure. "It was all real fighting," he revealed, "requiring speed and strength. Afterwards, I was blue and black all over. We didn’t want to use stand-ins and although the risk of getting hurt was there, it was fortunate we weren’t hurt.

"However, I was not so much afraid of getting hurt but of not putting in enough effort and not being good enough."

The fighting scenes between him and Tsui were a little different, with more wires and beautiful poses and moves. With a dance base behind both of them, they were a delight to watch.

Tsui’s character Tuo Tuo uses a thin long sword that is wrapped around her when not in use. She also wears a seven-layered veil-like slough, which she sheds as a weapon during battle. when she does that, she causes her enemy to hallucinate and ‘see’ several images of Tuo Tuo.

Tsui is the epitome of grace as she goes through her moves and Lee could not be more pleased with his choice of her as Tuo Tuo.

"Kate is really good in dance although she’s not so adept at martial arts. Her moves are sexy and beautiful and with her slanted eyes and make-up, she is the image of the devil woman," Lee said.

Tsui was initially apprehensive about taking up the role and had said it gave her a certain amount of pressure, especially since this was her first time in an action movie.

In addition to the excellent action scenes, the audience is in for another visual treat as they get to see the three actors in certain stages of undress.

But Lee was quick to point out that for Yen and Tsui, the scenes were absolutely necessary as they went with the flow of the movie.

"The characters they play are born to serve in every way and they belong only to their masters and are tattooed accordingly. We wanted to show that off.

"As for Wu Chun, well, I couldn’t very well let him off the hook!"

Wu had no qualms showing off his abs as he has been working out regularly since the age of 16 (he is, after all, the owner of a gym back home in Brunei).

But Wu is still envious of Yen’s physique as well as his devotion to maintaining it. "Most of us are tired at the end of filming but Yen will take the time to work out."

As for the movie’s theme being a little out of the usual Chinese New Year genre, Lee said that there is a message in the movie and he wants to get that across to the public.

"Although it starts out being a little dark, the message is that if there is hope, there is happiness."

And who would deny an abundance of happiness in the coming Year of the Tiger, or anytime of the year either.
    Tuo Tuo sounds kind of interesting - sort of medusa-like. I'm not familiar wit Kate Tsui - a beauty queen & TVB star...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$8.7m in the 1st 4 days...

No mention of U.S.
    Easternlight cuts deals on 14 Blades
    14 February, 2010 | By Jeremy Kay

Easternlight Films has closed key territories on the Chinese revenge tale 14 Blades, which has raced to more than $8.7m in its first four days at the Chinese box office.

Easternlight managing director Ying Ye has closed deals with Icon in the UK and Australia, Sony in Japan, Koch Media in Germany, Metropolitan in France, Aqua Pinema in Turkey and Ballistic Films in the Middle East.

Elsewhere, rights have gone to Noori Pictures (South Korea), Golden Harvest (Hong Kong), Long Shong (Taiwan), Media Films (Thailand), Soundspace (India, the Philippines), and PT Amero (Indonesia).

Daniel Lee directed and Visualizer’s Susanna Tsang produced the tale of a trained killer who must battle his own sect to restore the rightful emperor to his throne
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

14 Blades

New Donny Yen flick called 14 Blades. Yen plays an officer in the Ming Emperor's secret police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9Ry80VYRA

yes. I bought the dvd in early feb.

he played jin yi wei or royal secret agent for the emperor in ming dynasty.

hong jin bao played the brother of the emperor that wanted to seize the power.

all the big things happened at the border town guarding the entry to china from the western desert countries of xi yu.

--

he is the best of the best or like one man army.

his weapon is a box of blades--

Zhao Wei is always my favorite. in the end, she is dreaming of him coming back with the bells ringing on her wrist--

---

oops. spoiler alert--

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes. I bought the dvd in early feb.

he played jin yi wei or royal secret agent for the emperor in ming dynasty.

hong jin bao played the brother of the emperor that wanted to seize the power.

all the big things happened at the border town guarding the entry to china from the western desert countries of xi yu.

--

he is the best of the best or like one man army.

his weapon is a box of blades--

Zhao Wei is always my favorite. in the end, she is dreaming of him coming back with the bells ringing on her wrist--

---

oops. spoiler alert--

--

He seems like her bulked up for this movie. He is a muscular guy, but he looks bigger than usual.

Can you send me a link to where I can get it? That is if you didn't buy it on the usual places like Ebay or Yesasia.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 02-25-2010 at 10:17 AM.