Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dit Dat Jow question

Dit Dat Jow question

hello all,

Aside from what you've heard about Dit Dat Jow, has anyone ever researched it enough to find out which ingredients do what, rather than just "it helps a speedy recovery in bruising". I have heard a lot of people swear by it but they cannot tell me anything about it. I myself never use it unless I have a really bad injury, but most people will pretty much try anything when injured badly.

How effective is it and why. What exactly does it do and how? Are there modern lineaments which would be more effective than a good batch of Dit Dat Jow?

I tore a liament in my finger about a month ago (training) and it is still really sore. I keep it taped to another finger, but I am not putting anything on it. Any suggestions.

Thanks for any help, sincerely,

Patrick Gordon.

2. Some versions of Jow might help but it's a completely unregulated product and you're gambling with your physical well being by relying on it.

If you tore a ligament in your hand you might want to get a doctor to hook you up with some Feldene (Piroxicam) to reduce any internal swelling and Tensolax to relax the ligament and let it heal. I've used these for similar injuries with positive results (injury never came back).
    Last edited by Alpha Dog; 05-13-2003 at 08:18 AM.

The Many Faces of Dit Dat Jow

There are so many versions of Dit Dat Jow out there, it would be hard to say what exactly each ingredient does without seeing the list. And so many of the Jows are proprietory, so only a select few know what exactly goes into them.

Generally, the functions of the ingredients, from a Chinese point of view are:

> Open channels to move stagnation
    > Break up stasis to relieve pain
    > Activate blood to move blood
    > Cool blood to stop bleeding
    > Astringe to Reduce swelling

From a western biomedical point of view, their properties include: hemostatic, anti-inflammatory, vasodilation, and analgesia.

Several commercial brands can be used for your finger: Zheng Gu Shui, Woodlock Oil, Red Flower Oil. All of these work along the same lines as Dit Dat Jow. Yunnan Baiyao aerosol also does wonders for my own injuries. You may also want to keep the area warm and gently stretch it out.
    JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

While Dit Da Jow is not "medicine" in the western sense, and AD is very correct when he points out its unregulated, like any health and wellbeing related product, you should get it from as highly a trained indivual as possible, and they should prepare it specifically for your own unique physiology for best results. Some people have adverse reactions to certain ingredients, including rashes, so be careful.

As for finger ligaments: RICE. Rest it, Ice it, Compress it, Elevate it. If you want Chinese medicine, see an expert Chinese doctor who may work with herbal pills, poulitices, etc. as well as linaments.

Patrick

A good batch of jow can't be beat. But you are better off getting it from someone with a track record of producing effective medicine, as the commercial brands are generally weak in my experience. It depends on which herbs are used as to the exact action of the jow. Everyone produces it a little different but there seems to be a few common herbs that are used in most jows. I use it primarily for conditioning and to prevent bruising. It helps to lessen swelling, bruising and tears and sprains. As an unusual aside it can help to lighten and even eliminate vericose veins in the legs.

Once you find a good jow if you know the herbs you can look them up in "Chinese - English Manual of Common Used in Traditional Chinese Medicine", to determine the action of each herb involved. It is hard to tell you what it does withoout knowing the herbs involved since each herb has a different action.

Bottom line is it should help with ligament. Follow Rene's advice and add the jow to it and it should heal up fine.

aelward is also correct.
    Last edited by pvwingchun; 05-13-2003 at 08:43 AM.

Jau

There are herbs that are anti-imflammatory, analgesic, and there are herbs that are anti coagulants in jau formuls. Formulae will vary form school to school and sifu to sifu. The herbs can be very expensive or cheap depending on the quality. One of the herbs in my jau formula can cost per tsun almost as much as gold per ounce. A good jau formula can get rid of a bruise really fast.
    Also never rub jau on a bruise in the direction of the heart or lungs as a clot may travel there.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Aelward's brief overview is good in my opinion.
    Alpha Dog's caution is also noteworthy.
    TCM or western meds--- you can get a bad sample or a
    bad provider.
    Western medicine has made major advances- I am the only non MD in a long line of MDs for generations on both sides of the family- and i have been served well. But I do not regard every MD (or herbalist)asa an authority--they may not have the time, the full history or care enough or not have the right kind of experience.
    As John mentioned there are many kinds of jows for different purposes. My sifu's jow has helped me a lot in the past..

But nowadays I go through a (non wing chun) nanquan tcma-ist who works with a good Chinese herbalist in California. The jows are not sold in regular stores. With my friend the herbalist varies the compositions for the purposes at hand. Does not use mercury and dangerous sand palm materials. His formula is not for sale.

I have shared some with a student who is a trainer as well asa a musician. In his case and mine the healing from the jows is very satisfactory.
    For other TCM or accupuncture I use a very experienced ex professor of TCM from Tianjin. For his training the curruculum included cross training in TCM and MD work. And he has over 25 years of practical experience.

I have also used ayurvedic remedies successfully for some things.
    Turmeric for instance is a pretty good anti-inflammatory and can be used in some plasters and paste before wrapping the injured area.... supplemented with massage- manipulation.

Western meds even when effective can cost an arm and a leg.
    A month's cdelebrex is over $80 in cost.

There can be quacks in any field---including kung fu!!

Finding a good practitioner is the key.

Western "jows"

Tincture of Arnica is used by some people. Not sure if it's still sold in pharmacies though.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

9. In Hong Kong you can buy a kind of Jow in the pharmacies -- it's called Po Sum On (no kidding). Makes a great insect repellant.

Po Sum On.....lolol

Maybe they lived in the Southern US before moving to HK.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

11. I think you're right, Phil. If it were truly Hong Kongese, it would be called Yu Po Som On.

Not trying to bash anyone's faith in herbal medicines -- I do think, however, that a torn ligament (as opposed to a bruise) is a pretty serious thing, especially in the hand. Best not fool around.

Originally posted by Alpha Dog
    Not trying to bash anyone's faith in herbal medicines -- I do think, however, that a torn ligament (as opposed to a bruise) is a pretty serious thing, especially in the hand. Best not fool around.
    Alpha Dog is dead on correct. Anything involving a tendon or ligament isn't something you want to take lightly. Go see a Doctor!
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

Phil

There are actually two schools of thought (maybe more) when massaging the bruised or area of tauma. One being the one mentioned, then the other being sedative and tonification.

With the second in mind you actually rub in a clockwise motion to sedate and counter-clockwise to tonify. Anything that is red, swollen or bruised you will sedate, with clockwise massaging motion. Just my two cents!

Oh yeah, I just remembered a third way. Some say if you massage in the direction of the meridian flow this tonifies and against sedates.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Re: Phil

Originally posted by azwingchun
    With the second in mind you actually rub in a clockwise motion to sedate and counter-clockwise to tonify. Anything that is red, swollen or bruised you will sedate, with clockwise massaging motion. Just my two cents!
    Should the directions be reversed for those South of the equator? (Sorry, couldn't help myself ... <sheepish grin>)

Back to my hidey hole now.
    - kj

Kj

As humorous as that may sound, that question was asked. The answer was no it doesn't make a difference. LOL!!!!
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us