Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Zhenzhou/Shaolin Tourny in Oct this year

he'd be there to work, I'd be there to observe, and considering sex was off the cards and I might ask a question better left in the too hard basket, you just may be correct

bottom of my shoes

Those would be black feiyue shoes, no less. It's bad luck to see the bottom of my shoes, since I'm either running away or kicking you in the face.

I have no idea what to expect really, which is one of many reasons why I am going. As for a rendezvous with BL, wouldn't that make the forum go nuts here, not to mention the administrator, yours truly, in a very real and literal sense - just what the hell does "sex off the cards" mean? Do I really want to find out? All I can say, BL, if you want to come, it's up to you. It's a free country, well, maybe not, but the choice is yours. There is a standing tradition of taking photos of anyone who participates in the forums for the mag, and a BL shot would be outrageous I'm sure, assuming you can keep yourself from getting banned until we go to press.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

look Geno, bann me if you feel it's justified, I'll rock up if I choose, and excpect you to come good on the drink or several you offered to shout me . Alot can happen in 2 weeks though and I'll see you there or I 'll read about it.

Ps: So If I pose with you, do I get that subscription discount??

Sorry BL

Looks like you got yoruself banned. Frankly, I didn't thnk it was justified at all, but since you asked for it, well, you get what you ask for. It's a policy here to always ban people when they asked to be banned becuase it's simply riduculous to do anything else. So the modelling is off, as I said in my previous post on this thread.

As for anyone else who might be going, they've put up a new site about the event. I'm getting the feeling that this is being positioned to replace the Shaolin festival, which was declining in attendance in the past few years and had a disasterous turn last year with SARS.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt

I started packing last night and will leave for Zhengzhou in 3 days. Anyone else going? Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What's with the Hindu elephant mascot?

http://www.wushu.org.cn/linkpage/images/jxw.jpg
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Re: ttt

Originally posted by GeneChing
    I started packing last night and will leave for Zhengzhou in 3 days. Anyone else going? Anyone?
    usa has like 55 competitors. i know modern wushu people going. will there be any? thought it was only traditional?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

elephants and wushu

The elephant mascot has been usde for Shaolin festivals for some time now. I ran a pic of the mascot all the way back in our Shaolin special 2000 when I first started covering the festival. I've never understood it. There is a white elephant in Buddhism, but given the bindi, the mascot does look clearly more Hindu.

As for the modern wushu competitors, I've been to traditional kung fu tournaments in China before and there's always someone who shows up and does something modern.

The tournament promises to be really huge. They used to do this thing where they lined the streets with performers from Dengfeng to Shaolin Temple - about 7 miles. It's an awesome sight - too big to really digest. The rumor is that they will try to do the same thing from Zhengzhou to Dengfeng, which is ten times that distance.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Have fun Gene...

(try to get us some footage).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

footage

We just got a new videocam and digicamera here at the office, plus this spanking new digital recorder.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So, learn how to use them, so we don't have any dumb excuses when you get back.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

oh, that takes all the fun out of it...

Actually, I've already used the digicamera for a shoot I had to do in SF a few weeks ago. As for the vidoecam, it looks pretty straight forward, akin to most designs we've worked with before. The recorder is new - that one I'll have to figure out. It'll give me something to do on the long flight over there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nice gene. get some good stuff!

so if the modern wushu people are sending people then what the hell kinda of tournament is it gonna be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I heard , maybe even on this thread that the shaolin festival has been cancelled in lieu of wushu worlds. Is this correct??

You mean read not heard, right Leggo? I mean, all you do is read and spew.