Thread: Cung Le's "Born to Fight" Tournament

Cung Le's "Born to Fight" Tournament

Has anyone here competed in this tourney? How large is it? How long does it usually last (one day, two)?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

This was a fantastic event until the CA state athletic commission determined that san shou/ san da was illegal

since then, it has suffered a lot, obviously
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

What!? Dayum!

In what ways has it changed simce the beaurocratic meddling?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

whats with all the sissyness from cali for? wtf sanda illegal

they have the freakin terminator as their gov, how can some glorified kickboxing be illegal?

those jokers need to get it together.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

they have the freakin terminator as their gov, how can some glorified kickboxing be illegal?

those jokers need to get it together.
    Heh, heh. Don't you know, Kung Fu is now OFFICIALLY too deadly for competition....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Heh, heh. Don't you know, Kung Fu is now OFFICIALLY too deadly for competition....
    rofl that is just too good !

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Bay Area hippies grew up to be politicians.

That is one of the reasons I left CA.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Well it took them long enough to realize this!

I should note that the "ban" isn't about San Shou / San Da or Chinese martial arts

Apparenlty, in the 70's or maybe 80's the state put into it's codes parts of the old PKA american style kickboxing rules. The rules used to state "no throws in kickboxing"..... ergo, no san shou

with MMA so huge, there isn't much interest in changing the laws, so we're sort of stuck

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I should note that the "ban" isn't about San Shou / San Da or Chinese martial arts

Apparenlty, in the 70's or maybe 80's the state put into it's codes parts of the old PKA american style kickboxing rules. The rules used to state "no throws in kickboxing"..... ergo, no san shou

with MMA so huge, there isn't much interest in changing the laws, so we're sort of stuck
    somebody should tell them that sanshou isnt kick boxing, its throw boxing with kicks!

So, what has happened to the "Born to Fight" tourney as a result? Is it just kickboxing now, with no throws?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

somebody should tell them that sanshou isnt kick boxing, its throw boxing with kicks!
    Well, there is a part of Canada where you can do MMA (ie, kick, punch, elbow, knee and throw AND THEN beat them up on the ground) but which won't sanction just san shou

does that make sense?

PA also just made MMA legal but it's commission says they won't allow san shou?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Well, there is a part of Canada where you can do MMA (ie, kick, punch, elbow, knee and throw AND THEN beat them up on the ground) but which won't sanction just san shou

does that make sense?

PA also just made MMA legal but it's commission says they won't allow san shou?

Thats just freaking rediculous. anyone who that makes sense to has their head so far up their ass they probably need a dentist to tie their shoes!

Thats just freaking rediculous. anyone who that makes sense to has their head so far up their ass they probably need a dentist to tie their shoes!
    oh, so you've met athletic commission people before

the only commission I respect is NJ and Nick Lembo

So, what happened to the "Born to Fight" tourney? In what way has it changed? Does anyone actually know or do you all just think that it must have been altered without really having any facts about it? I really would like to know, if anyone has the answer.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust