Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post

You seem to go derrogatory and on the attack when someone disagrees with you. If I'm hurting your feelings when I express a different opinion, than I'll try and not respond to your posts.
    LMFAO, I'm not the one getting butthurt here

I'm sorry, but as someone with vastly more experience than you, I am just pointing out you are wrong. If you don't want to be told you are wrong, blog or do something else, this is a two way conversation here

"from learning" means what exactly? Well, apparently, from reading some books as opposed to actually training boxing. Sanjuro and I (and others here) have actually trained boxing. BIG DIFFERENCE

Some of us here also have close to three decades of CMA background. If that makes you uncomfortable, so be it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

We are almost in agreement.

You said "IMO boxing is the art of landing a punch while not getting hit" while I see it as landing a punch while getting hit as little as possible.

Its a small difference in style but a big difference in attitude. Boxers who worry too much about getting hit seldom generate very much offensive and god forbid if you ever pair two of them against each other, that fight will be long, slow and boring.

Having too much defense can be as bad as having too little defense.

The strategy I'm explaining is - to purpose every movement on not getting hit. IMO boxing is the art of landing a punch while not getting hit.
    I don't agree, the purpose of boxing is to hit ( #1 Priority) without getting hit.
    All of boxing's foot work is base don that, that is why there are so very few blocks in boxing, but the majority is evasions and parries to get you into counter postitions or stop-hits and simutaneous counters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Like M1k3 said, I dont' think we are that far separated in opinion. It's good to get viewpoints from folks that have been in the ring.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    Like M1k3 said, I dont' think we are that far separated in opinion. It's good to get viewpoints from folks that have been in the ring.
    AH bro, we are just discussing opinions, fact is, the priority of defense over offense or vice-versa, depends on the fighter and what they are best at.

enter an amateur (USA BOXING) event, avoid/block/slip 95% of the shots and don't throw any shots and see what happens (hint: you will NOT win)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    enter an amateur (USA BOXING) event, avoid/block/slip 95% of the shots and don't throw any shots and see what happens (hint: you will NOT win)
    I hazard to say this but, in amateur boxing defense is almost irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I hazard to say this but, in amateur boxing defense is almost irrelevant.
    dare to say it! hazard to say it! SAY IT

where I am, it's about how many times you can touch the guy, literally, anything at all is scored, oh, except body shots

I happen to like Willie Pep, Pernell Whitaker, and Benny Leonard.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

where I am, it's about how many times you can touch the guy, literally, anything at all is scored, oh, except body shots
    LMAO !
    Too true, all too true.

While i agree with you in principle about the judging, at the last golden glove tournament i had 1 friend score a KO, 1 friend get KOed, and 1 friend who had his nose & ribs broken in a winning effort but couldn't fight the next round. Of course I had a 4th friend lose on points to a guy he knocked down but got outscored him with pitter patter punches.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    While i agree with you in principle about the judging, at the last golden glove tournament i had 1 friend score a KO, 1 friend get KOed, and 1 friend who had his nose & ribs broken in a winning effort but couldn't fight the next round. Of course I had a 4th friend lose on points to a guy he knocked down but got outscored him with pitter patter punches.
    of course some people go out and try and KO eachother but in NY at least the top gyms realize it isn't necessary and has nothing to do with winning, ie you can pitty patt your way to national titles

Boxing

I'm not super into boxing. But I do happen to watch a fight every now and then.

I figured I would make a thread where we can talk about any boxing news or highlights.

What promted me to make this thread was watching Guillermo Rigondeaux win his pro boxing debut.

He's a 2 time olympic gold medalist, recently defected out of Cuba and has just gone pro. He has a slew of fights under his belt, and he wasnt facing anyone dangerous to his skill level, but he has great style to match an abundance of confidence.

edit: Link
    Last edited by Lucas; 05-26-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The Cuban fighter

I debated about seeing the fight- ended up missing it. Cuban "amateurs" have tons of fights- more so than US counterparts. Teofilo Stevenson had a huge number of fights but remained an "amateur" in status.

I did watch the Pacquaio/Hatton fight and knew that Pacquaio would win easily.

Pacquaio. Marquez and Mayweather are the three best at around the welter areas.
    The Mayweather/Marquez fight is coming up and I hope that I can make the time to see the PPV fight. Should be a great fight though some folks expect it to be dull because botha re counterpunchers. Mayweather is stronger and heavier. But Marquez is tough, has a better jab than Mayweather and has power in both hands. Mayweather is extremely slippery in his defensive moves. But Marquez can take him if he fights right--- working off his jab. What worries me though is that marquez is supposedly working with "boulders" to build up his strength in order to match Mayweather;s strength.That could be a mistake- you attack people's weaknesses not their strength... and working with boulders may make hima little stiff and slower than usual unless he spends a lot of time loosening up to compensate for strength work.

Even though Pacquaio has picked upa lot of support and keeps getting better with his trainer Roach's guidance- I think that both Marquez and Mayweather are better than him...atleast right now.

BTW a sad thing about Tyson's 4 year old daughter dying asa result of a freak accident at hiome here in Phoenix. Although Tyson is in LV a lot he has spent much time in Phoenix.

joy chaudhuri

Yes! The Cuban fighter are fun to watch and they are excellent.
    Not much money for fighers in Cuba so the 'profesional' label is too much of a stretch if your earning power cannot soar. In USA, everyone wants to turn pro to make money, a good thing if you can.

One of the best fighters I ever saw was Sixto Soria! Manos de piedra (stone hands).