I'm bummed that I haven't heard of any local screenings...
Seven premieres for 'Chandni Chowk To China'
By ApunKaChoice
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 11:10 IST

Akshay Kumar Seven is a lucky number for Akshay Kumar and the actor is making sure that his upcoming film Chandni Chowk To China has seven premieres in different parts of the world.

2009 is set to begin with a bang. Come Jan 16, Akki’s much-talked-about, semi-autobiographical comic caper ‘CC2C’ will hit the marquee. The film’s producers, the Sippys, along with director Nikhil Advani and the leading man Akshay are making sure that the movie gets worldwide publicity ahead of its release.

So seven premieres of the film have been planned; the first premiere will be held in Los Angeles on January 7, followed by New York on January 9, Toronto on Jan 10, London on Jan 11, Dubai on Jan 12, Bangkok on Jan 13 and finally Delhi on Jan 14.

Grapevine is abuzz that Akshay has, in fact, hired a chartered plane so that the cast and crew of ‘CC2C’ can attend all the premieres without any delays.

‘Chandni Chowk To China’ has Akshay playing a small time cook in old Delhi who goes to China on a mission he is unaware of in the beginning. The film has Deepika Padukone in the lead role.

LUCKY SEVEN

There are too many seven links to CC2C. The film has its first premiere on Jan 7. It will have seven premieres. And it releases worldwide on Jan 16, which adds up to seven.
Deepika Padukone's Character Inspired by 'Charlie's Angels'
January 08 2009 22:10 PST

Akshay Kumar's newest film, 'Chandni Chowk to China,' enjoyed a grand Hollywood premiere last night at the Steven J Ross Theatre in Burbank, California and Bollywood stars weren't the only ones there to celebrate! It seems Deepika Padukone's character in the film, Meow Meow, was modeled after Lucy Liu's character from the Hollywood film, 'Charlie's Angels' directed by McG. So when McG got wind of this, he was quite curious to see if Deepika's character lived up to Lucy's and attended the Hollywood premiere last night!

After watching the film, McG made a point to tell 'Chandni Chowk to China' director Nikhil Advani that he was impressed by Deepika's look in the movie. Deepika's character sports long black, pin straight locks with blunt bangs and bright red lipstick. Sounds like Lucy Liu's character! So who do you think rocks the look better - Lucy or Deepika?

McG wasn't the only Hollywood star at the premiere, there was also John Landis (the director of 'Beverly Hills Cop III,' and 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids: the TV Show,' among other shows), Alan Horn (the President and COO of Warner Brothers which distributed 'CC2C'), and Richard Fox (executive VP for Warner Brothers International). Phew! Sounds like a whole lot of Hollywood big wigs, but no stars! We were hoping for some Hollywood starlets to rock the carpet. But either way, to have a Bollywood film premiere at a Hollywood venue is a pretty cool feat, kudos to Akshay and the whole, 'Chandi Chowk to China' team. Now it's off to New York City for another rocking premiere!
Akshay and Deepika on a whirlwind 7 tour
1/9/2009 10:46:50 PM
Akshay Kumar and wife Twinkle at the New York premiere of 'Chandni Chowk to China'

Akshay kumar and Deepika Padukone are on a whirlwind seven city premiere tour for their new film 'Chandni Chowk to China'. Times Now's Natasha Israni caught up with the superstar and his wife Twinkle on the New York red carpet premiere of 'Chandni Chowk to China'.

Natasha: They are calling this the first masala Kung Fu film. What was it like being a part of such a unique set up?

Akshay: Do you like noodles and curry? You mix them up together and you get something different. That is what Chandini Chowk to China is like. It's great fun to have something different. Nobody else does that. Thats exactly what we have tried to do with this movie.

Natasha: Twinkle have you seen the film?

Twinkle: I have seen the first half thrice. I have not seen the second part yet so I want to see the whole thing today.

Natasha: In terms of the international interest in films like this, do you see this film as a fron runner and opening up the gates even more for such fusion films?

Akshay: I'm sure it is going to do that because we have Warner Bros backing us. If you look at the way it has been releasing, we have about 135 prints releasing in the US alone, where as Bollywood has had a maximum film release of only 80 prints.

Natasha: What do you feel about the whole Jackie Chan style of the film?

Akshay: I'm glad that you are comparing it to a Jackie Chan movie. He also believes in action and comedy coming together. So basically he also comes from the family of entertainment where I come from.

Natasha: Twinkle how does it feel to watch Akshay do all these different films and big successes? What is your focus these days?

Twinkle: I think its really nice that Akshay is doing well and he's worked really hardto get here and I'm really proud.
Warners goes Bollywood-- Chandni Chowk to China opens on Jan. 16.
posted by OtownRog on Jan 5, 2009 8:45:23 AM

Warner Brothers has added an Indian film to its 2009 release slate, and added it at the last minute.
Chandni Chowk to China will open in 50 markets, making it the widest release of a Bollywood film yet in North America. Akshay Kumar stars, and it has a little supernatural martial arts, a little action, some reincarnation, a little song and dance.

"Bollywood," in other words.
Not sure how this figures into Warner's difficulties with China over releasing The Dark Knight there. Perhaps they're just testing the waters after the arrival of Slumdog Millionaire.
Jackie Chan will watch Akshay Kumar's 'Chandni Chowk to China'
02 Jan, 2009 08:28 am IST

Okay, we thought Akshay Kumar is only shaking up the Kings of Bollywood. But no....his star-power ranges from China to Hollywood. After charming the likes of Sylvester Stallone, Akshay Kumar is going to shock Jackie Chan with his stunts, somersaults et al. Yeah, apparently our favourite Jackie bhai from China has expressed a desire to watch 'Chandni Chowk to China'. Jackie is supposedly close to Gordon Liu (of 'Kill Bill' and 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin' fame), who plays the villain in the movie, and he's keen to watch his buddy's first stint with Bollywood.

While Gordon's fans in China lovingly call him 'Master Killer' (gosh, that doesn't sound too loving, does it?), Akshay Kumar insists on referring to him as the Gordon Liu. And here's a bit of goss that your ears will instantly lap up. Apparently, Gordon Liu was casually asked about his experience working with Nikhil Advani vis-a-vis the Quentin Tarantino. Of course, Nikhil was terribly embarrassed about even being spoken in the same breath as the Oscar winning filmmaker. But Gordon's response totally stunned them all. He revealed that Quentin Tarantino is always seen laughing on the sets, also he doesn't tell anyone with what he's about to do next. On the other hand, according to the veteran filmmaker, our very own Nikhil is always serious and all he does is work, work, and work. Aha...now that's a compliment boy, take a bow. As the Chinese do, okay?

And we're hoping that after watching Akshay Kumar in action, Jackie Chan makes a big move from 'China to Chandni Chowk'. And Jackie, don't be threatened by Akshay Kumar! Take our word for it... the boy is a lovely soul.