Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMG! Little Rogue is a, a, a, grappler!

Congratulation to Little Rogue

****, 15 seconds. Did you even have a chance to settle in and get the video camera going?

My son is close to your son's stats. He turned 13 last month, 5' 4" and 111 lbs. Unfortunately, his younger brother is complete opposite of him. He don't like physical activities, but that may be changing. I'm starting to see a spark in his eye whenever he sees me and his big brother roll.

Today, as a reward for setting a school record, his coach had him wrestle up against two more experienced team members and then drill with them. Gotta build up his skills, can't depend on quick wins.

Thanks for the kind words Mook Jong.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Today he won 7-0.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Well it finally happened, Little Rogue lost. After five straight wins and no loses he was beat by a kid from one of best teams in the state. He dominated in the first period but his lack of experience and a smart opponent got him pinned in the second. He did pretty good considering the meet was a blood bath (something like 19 - 64) and may have actually pinned the kid but the ref didn't call it.

He wrestles again tomorrow and Thursday and is learning how to let a lose go and focus on the next match. He's also learning to make the win decisive as you can't rely on the ref or the judges. I'm glad he chose his own sport and didn't follow me into karate.

It's something to see the difference between these programs. Ours is pretty darn good but some of these schools are scary good.
    Last edited by rogue; 01-07-2008 at 07:00 PM.

DM

Crap! Now Baby Rogue is a wrestler! What am I doing wrong? And now they both pick on the fact that their old man used to jump around in white canvas pajamas.

Baby Rogue is only 5 pounds shy of what older brother Little Rogue wrestled at last season but 3 years younger. BR is tall for his age and proper weight for his height, Little Rogue was a little runty until this past summer.

Once again I'm amazed at how fast these kids pick this stuff up using sport training. Can't wait to see how both do this year, though Little Rogue is talking about skipping this year to focus on school work and music.
    Last edited by rogue; 11-13-2008 at 06:14 PM.

DM

It's cool that they found something they like tho.
    My baby brother (13 years my junior) did wrestling for a season or so before being bit by the Lacrosse bug; I wish he would have picked up more.
    No worries though, I'm going to be a daddy in May of next year (getting married this weekend), and I'm going to start training the little Piglet before s/he's out of diapers.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    No worries though, I'm going to be a daddy in May of next year (getting married this weekend), and I'm going to start training the little Piglet before s/he's out of diapers.
    Hey, grats!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Hey, grats!
    thanks
    I'll bring the lil rugrat your way in another year or two when I take him/her to meet the grandparents.
    Sorry we didn't get to hang out this last time - was in Ginza for one evening before going to Yamanashi and Fujikawaguchiko (got to climb Kachi Kachi Yama from the fairy tale).
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

congrats to all who are seeing the fruit of their loins prosper! my little monster turns 4 in two weeks, and it seems that he's going to be very inclined towards and successful at activities of this nature - he's one of those coordinated, solid, tough kids who can be very calculating and goal oriented: tempered aggression (fortunately he's also got a sweet side a mile long to balance that!)...I figure another two or three years and we can turn him loose in a pee-wee BJJ class, get him started on some basic skills; probably will hold off on competition until he's about 12 though, don't want him starting off too early...

IMPE, grappling is the way to go early on - much easier to control it, and it teaches him how to deal with falling and hitting the floor without freaking out if he gets knocked down; also, in the event of the inevitable playground scrap, it gives him the right tools to be able to deal with what will probably happen anyway (going to the ground), and to be able to definitively finish it in a a relatively controlled manner - also, school administrators are probably going to be much less adversarial dealing with a situation where two kids rolled around on the ground a bit and one ended it by sitting on the other without actually damaging him, as opposed to giving him broken nose from a roundhouse kick to the face...

hopefully i'll be able to stay in san antonio and my kid will grow up with marcello salazar's kid... marcello's an ifl vet & a total monster... should be debuting in a more major organization sometime in the next year.