View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 669 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1695696196596676686696706716797197691169 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,035 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Even though I'm a traditional kung fu instructor by choice, I consider Shaolin-Do VERY real.

There are people practicing Shaolin-Do all over the world. They derive all sorts of great benefits from it. Shaolin-Do, for the most part, is an ACCESSIBLE martial art that is more graspable to the general public than most traditional old school kung fu (i.e. what I do).

For "reality combat", Shaolin Do accomplishes the same things that other martial arts do. A practitioner of Shaolin Do will have excellent self confidence and physique, both of which keep him from being a target for criminals.

I'd rather see an earnest martial arts enthusiast practicing Shaolin Do than nothing at all.

Cool post Kevin very well said. BTW there is a school in Chicago or the surrounding area I believe KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
    Even though I'm a traditional kung fu instructor by choice, I consider Shaolin-Do VERY real.

There are people practicing Shaolin-Do all over the world. They derive all sorts of great benefits from it. Shaolin-Do, for the most part, is an ACCESSIBLE martial art that is more graspable to the general public than most traditional old school kung fu (i.e. what I do).

For "reality combat", Shaolin Do accomplishes the same things that other martial arts do. A practitioner of Shaolin Do will have excellent self confidence and physique, both of which keep him from being a target for criminals.

I'd rather see an earnest martial arts enthusiast practicing Shaolin Do than nothing at all.
    Thank you for your perspective. What style do you teach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Sweet!!!

True that!!!

I teach "Seng Men" (Monk Fist).

The method I do and the curriculum I teach are probably 100% opposite from USSD. But I've seen Shaolin Do benefit so many people, and I never argue with results.

I'd imagine that most Shaolin Do students would be uncomfortable in my class. I also don know that most of my students have been uncomfortable with Shaolin Do, having shopped it before coming to me. However, that's like saying that one would rather have Sprite instead of Coke.

I'm not from the "all or nothing" school of martial arts that insists that one style has all the superiority and answers. Nor do I believe that there's such thing as a martial art that has "nothing" to offer.

I look at the business side of things. If people are paying money to train and are happy with what they're getting, then that's great. It's not as if anybody's putting a gun to anybody's head and forcing them to train at only one school. We CMAs have OPTIONS nowadays.
    Last edited by Kevin Huang; 08-20-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Make up your mind already........

You're in Southern California, and a professional sifu too?

GREAT. I have a student in LA who regularly visits other schools. He'd be happy to visit you and show you what we do. And he's not looking for trouble or challenges either.

I'm from Phoenix, which is not far. Currently my schedule is quite busy, as my kung fu class is growing. It's not as easy for me to get to your school as it is for my student, so you'd get a friendly visit from him first.

Tell me where your school is and I'd be happy to arrange a friendly meeting. This is NOT a challenge nor a criticism. I'm trying to network with other professional sifus like yourself in the traditional kung fu arts, because kung fu is about SHARING and not FIGHTING.
    Last edited by Kevin Huang; 08-21-2008 at 06:05 AM.

The method I do and the curriculum I teach are probably 100% opposite from USSD. But I've seen Shaolin Do benefit so many people, and I never argue with results.

I'd imagine that most Shaolin Do students would be uncomfortable in my class. I also don know that most of my students have been uncomfortable with Shaolin Do, having shopped it before coming to me. However, that's like saying that one would rather have Sprite instead of Coke.

I'm not from the "all or nothing" school of martial arts that insists that one style has all the superiority and answers. Nor do I believe that there's such thing as a martial art that has "nothing" to offer.

I look at the business side of things. If people are paying money to train and are happy with what they're getting, then that's great. It's not as if anybody's putting a gun to anybody's head and forcing them to train at only one school. We CMAs have OPTIONS nowadays.
    Do you have a website? If so, please provide the address. I would like to visit your site and read about the school and style taught.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

I don't have a website - yet.

I'll get one up going probably next year. It's in the works. There'll be a picture of me, style description, and all.

You do Ziranmen, Citong Sifu. My Seng Men is a distant brother of your style. It's even from the same general geographic location. I haven't seen much of Ziranmen, but I see a lot of commonalities between the two methods.

Are you from the Wan Lai Shen branch of Ziranmen? Is that also who you learned your Liuhemen from?

I could tell you more in PM. This thread is a discussion about Shaolin-Do, and I'll try to stay on topic.

I'll get one up going probably next year. It's in the works. There'll be a picture of me, style description, and all.

You do Ziranmen, Citong Sifu. My Seng Men is a distant brother of your style. It's even from the same general geographic location. I haven't seen much of Ziranmen, but I see a lot of commonalities between the two methods.

Are you from the Wan Lai Shen branch of Ziranmen? Is that also who you learned your Liuhemen from?

I could tell you more in PM. This thread is a discussion about Shaolin-Do, and I'll try to stay on topic.
    Uh...

You do have a website:
    http://kungfu.tinfoildreams.com/about.htm
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I no longer run that school in that location.

Furthermore, I will be making my own website with a completely different look.

Feel free to PM me if you have further interest, MasterKiller. Things have CHANGED since that website was put up several years ago. That's because I'VE changed.

Yes, my teacher trained with Wan Lai Shen in Fujian. Is Seng Men taoist? Our Liuhe is also from Wan sifu. PM me sometime...

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Seng Men is SORT OF Taoist, in a very subtle way.

I've sent you a private e-mail about Seng Men. Soon, I have some questions for you about Ziranmen that I've been wanting to ask for a number of years.

You're in Southern California, and a professional sifu too?
    Currently mostly on the "retired" list.... as in overly tired of all the nonsense.
    My "open-door" days were over in the late 70s.
    I have "accepted" exactly two in-door students since the 90s, and finally kicked the newer/dumber one out @ two years ago next month.

I currently do not have a school, although that may change in the coming months.
    (mostly a "vehicle" to ensure that the remaining student actually is capable of teaching/passing what should be taught/passed)
    (no reflection on my Ct/NY students/grand-students from the "open" days, some of whom are teaching on their own)

That said, I have given public demos and engaged in the two LA KFlist meetings.
    Another such meeting can probably be arranged so that all concerned can know "what's what".
    A former senior student of Jiang JianYe (Neil) played with me at the 2nd and came back out for a week's worth of private lessons.

GREAT. I have a student in LA who regularly visits other schools. He'd be happy to visit you and show you what we do. And he's not looking for trouble or challenges either.
    Got a name for him?
    I've got nothing against some contact, but I'm not into "giving anything away" to "unknowns", either.

I'm from Phoenix, which is not far. Currently my schedule is quite busy, as my kung fu class is growing. It's not as easy for me to get to your school as it is for my student, so you'd get a friendly visit from him first.
    "Whatever".

Tell me where your school is and I'd be happy to arrange a friendly meeting. This is NOT a challenge nor a criticism. I'm trying to network with other professional sifus like yourself in the traditional kung fu arts, because kung fu is about SHARING and not FIGHTING.
    ?????????
    I already covered the "school situation".
    Networking is cool, but sometimes over-rated.
    Fighting, in the sense of "internecine warfare"/"back-biting"/etc (TCMA vs TCMA) is sheer nonsense.

My post was directed at your unedited post wherein you claimed to NOT be doing your SiFu's style (Seng Men (Quan)).... and then edited it to indicate that you do.
    I mentioned the KFlist, and your SiFu was a prominent & worthwhile contributor on it. We had several MBs worth of personal/off-line communications and he's seen a video of one of my demos.
    For whatever reason, he's chosen to go silent for some time now and the KFlist "wound down" from its "heyday" of almost 100 posts per day.
    Since then, I was mostly silent, too.... until a thread on this site mentioned my name and I felt I had to at least make sure that they were spelling it right.

In any case, give "us" a reason and I'm fairly sure that we can come up with another "LA KFlist" "meeting" of one sort or another.

OK, I can accept that.

I can think of no better reason to meet than the one I already gave you: that I want to meet other kung fu martial artists. No more, no less.

Right now I'm teaching in Chandler, Arizona. I've got a class going, and it's been a lot of fun so far. I just "transferred" a student to that class this evening - and he's probably reading this post right now because he's one of those super inquisitive types who asks zillions of GOOD questions!

When I get my "official" school going, I'll let you know. bakxierboxer, you and everybody else on kungfumagazine would be welcome guests. And NO - that's not a challenge. I agree with you that challenges are USELESS.

Besides, the consensus here is that I'm TOO HARMLESS to be a serious threat to injure anybody. Don't you agree, bakxierboxer? Most folks here are not afraid of me at all, and that's exactly how I want people to feel about me.

To me, kung fu is about sharing and love and healing and community. I don't worry about people threatening me or anything like that, though I used to largely because of the Asian culture I grew up in. Those days are over, and now I'm just a kung fu softie teaching kung fu in the West.

I'm just as real as Shaolin-Do is