Thread: MMA at Cannes

MMA at Cannes

Here's another that might live on the media forum someday.

MMA Goes to Cannes Film Festival Bobby Razak Secures Two Film Shorts in Prestigious Festival

In another creative display of the rapid growth of the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) Bobby Razak lands another win with two film shorts acceptance into World renowned Festival de Cannes Short Film Corner. The festival runs May 14-24 2008 not far from the French Riviera.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) April 29, 2008 -- In another creative display of the rapid growth of the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) Bobby Razak lands another win with two film shorts acceptance into World renowned Festival de Cannes Short Film Corner. The festival runs May 14-24 2008 not far from the French Riviera.

"Invincible Warrior" starring UFC's Chuck Liddell and John Lewis is a 33-minute short that takes a look at the path of two of MMA's greatest warriors. The film goes back over ten years portraying their bare knuckles beginnings and their channeled mindset that makes a fighter unbeatable. Razak's second short of 20-minutes, "Love Pain Eternal", is a unique demonstration of his own path of love and violence that reveals a karmic turning point and reflects upon the early days of the sport. He introduces his sparring partner Heman Gipson who also appears in the first season of Razak's cable TV series "Underground Kings" scheduled to air on Time Warner's VOD channel in May 2008.

"I've always been a risk taker but releasing this film is by far the greatest challenge for me. I never meant for it to be public. I produced Love Pain Eternal for very personal reasons," states Razak. "I guess you can call it payback for doing to myself what I do in all my other films, not only exposing the core but reaching in and stirring it up a bit."

As MMA continues to 'go global' Razak documents MMA's transition from underground to mainstream popularity as well as the legal, ethical and make-or-break career decisions that will mold the industry.

As a young boy growing up in Tottenham, London, England, Bobby Razak found himself extremely inspired by the art of film. Movies such as "Spartacus," "Enter the Dragon," and "Casablanca" triggered Bobby's dream to become a filmmaker. Determined not to let his dream go, Razak moved from England to Los Angeles, CA to pursue his career in film. Once in L.A., Bobby began working for various production companies until he was able to raise the money to produce and direct the critically acclaimed documentary, "Rites of Passage." The film explores the world of mixed martial arts (MMA) and enters the minds of the athletes featured providing a one of a kind, thoughtful, and introspective view of the MMA world. "Rites of Passage," was screened at Sundance Film Festival and appeared on In-Demand PPV across the USA.

Pushing the boundaries, Bobby's next film, "Pit Fight," was shot on 35mm film and contains real bare-knuckle fighting. "Pit Fight" was premiered in the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival, was screened at the Berlin Film Festival, and won numerous visual awards from around the world. He then produced "Invincible Warrior" and "Underground NHB". Switching gears, Bobby's next film, "Love, Pain, Eternal," explores the concepts of love, friendship, and self using his own life experiences. The powerfully emotional film will premiere at Festival de Cannes Short Film Corner May 2008. In April 2008, Bobby will be directing a brand new MMA reality show called "Underground Kings of MMA". Still passionate about his work, Bobby continues to seek out new ideas to capture on film. Often fueled by the experiences in his own life, you never know where Bobby's next film will lead its viewers.
    And I was excited about Redbelt and Never Back Down. Cannes is a whole other level.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where can us Peon's get our hands on these short films ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the web has all your answers...

... but since I brought this up, I did the heavy lifting for you.

INVINCIBLE WARRIOR / UNDERGROUND NHB includes a video short.

Couldn't find Pit Fight. Not yet at least. I only did a cursory search. Perhaps someone else can dig it up?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ... but since I brought this up, I did the heavy lifting for you.

INVINCIBLE WARRIOR / UNDERGROUND NHB includes a video short.

Couldn't find Pit Fight. Not yet at least. I only did a cursory search. Perhaps someone else can dig it up?
    You are Da Man.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Looks interesting. Looking forward to watching the whole thing.

WTF was that tai chi form he was doing?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    WTF was that tai chi form he was doing?
    Sorry, but that is just for high ranking closed door disciples.

Come on, MK

That was tai chi for MMA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Razak

Cannes starts tomorrow.

Mixed Martial Arts Hits Cannes
    Holyrood PR
    13/05/2008

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is set to take centre stage at the Cannes Film Festival.

Short film Invincible Warrior, sponsored by Belfast-based MAX Xtreme Fighting, and Love Pain Eternal, will be screened at the ten day event off the French Riviera in the Short Film Corner.

The event is Producer Bobby Razak’s debut at the festival. A lifelong fan of MMA he is delighted the sport is being recognised by the film industry.

Bobby said: “I am obviously absolutely thrilled my work is to be aired at Cannes, undoubtedly the world’s most glamorous film festival.

“But this is also a huge deal for MMA. For too long it has been on the sidelines and a sport people were frightened of being associated with. It was not recognised in the mainstream.

“It is fantastic to see that the perception of MMA has changed so dramatically. It is now being viewed as the highly-dedicated and highly-charged sport it is.

“I would think this is the first time that films based purely on MMA have made it onto the Cannes Film Festival bill. This is a major turning point for the sport.”

Invincible Warrior, a 33-minute film, tracks the lives of the UFC legends Chuck Liddell and John Lewis. It explores the fighters’ development over the past decade. Love Pain Eternal is a 20-minute film based on Bobby’s personal experiences.

As well as shooting further films based around the sport Bobby is also set to direct a reality show with MAX Xtreme Fighting, The High Kings of MMA Ireland.

Jonny Burrows, MAX Xtreme Fighting spokesman, said: “We are thrilled to be involved with this project.

“MMA fighters are some of the most finely tuned athletes in the world. It is extremely disciplined and completely unique from any other sport there is. This film is a fantastic reflection of that.

“It is great news for Bobby that his film-making talents are being recognised at the Cannes Film Festival and it is also fantastic for MMA as a whole to be featured. There have been films about boxing and football that have been famous in the past, it is definitely the turn of MMA.”

This is Bobby’s second successful partnership with MAX Xtreme Fighting. He produced the critically-acclaimed Rites of Passage and the follow-up Underdogs. The documentary explored the world of MMA and featured members of the MAX Xtreme Fighting family.

It was shown at the Sundance Film Festival and was also aired on In-Demand Pay-Per-View in the USA.

Bobby added: “It is an extremely exciting time for MAX Xtreme Fighting and the MMA scene as a whole.

“I look forward to playing my part in helping this underappreciated sport reach a wider audience.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mamet's Jiu-Jitsu Isn't Just Verbal
    By GORDON MARINO
    May 13, 2008; Page D9

Santa Monica, Calif.

A well-established black belt in verbal jiu-jitsu, David Mamet has spent much of the past six years on the mats practicing the real Brazilian art of self-defense. The preternaturally prolific Mr. Mamet seems to process his experience by writing about it, and the many hours that he has logged in the world of choke holds is no exception. Fascinated by both the philosophy and culture of martial arts, Mr. Mamet has written and directed the recently released "Redbelt," a movie that he describes as "something between a traditional American fight film and Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai.'"

Because of the recent explosion of interest in Ultimate Fighting and other forms of professional mixed martial arts, a combat sport that draws upon all types of self-defense, jiu-jitsu has become the rage in the U.S. After a visit to his gym, I asked Mr. Mamet, who now holds a purple belt, how he came by his passion for this combat art. He recalled: "When I moved to L.A., I bumped into my old friend, the actor Ed O'Neill. He had been training with Rorion Gracie, the famous jiu-jitsu teacher. Knowing that I had boxed and wrestled, Ed had long ago promised that if I ever came to L.A. he would get me together with the jiu-jitsu guys. So when we met, I asked him where the nearest studio was and he pointed to a gym right next to the restaurant" -- which happened to be the same establishment where the interview was now being conducted.

David Mamet
    While there have been other famous scribblers, often potbellied, with tough-guy alter egos, the 60-year old Mr. Mamet is in fighting fettle and has the appearance of someone who has indentured himself to a physical art. During the film's fervid production process, he still managed to squeeze in at least two jiu-jitsu sessions a week.

Since his jiu-jitsu conversion, Mr. Mamet has taken a few swipes at boxing, even going so far as to say that, in comparison with mixed martial arts, watching boxing is "like watching paint dry." During our session, the former lightweight champion Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, who is a friend of Mr. Mamet and has a role in "Redbelt," was sitting at a nearby table. A Boxing Hall of Famer, Mr. Mancini participated in a number of legendary bouts that had even hardened fans wincing. I ribbed Mr. Mamet: "Did you tell Boom Boom that boxing is like watching paint dry?"

Mr. Mamet, who ultimately has a profound respect for the great pugilists, laughed and, nodding toward Mr. Mancini, shook his head and said: "Did you see his fights? Wasn't it amazing that he could go like that for 15 rounds? Even now, whenever Ray leads the workouts at the gym, everyone ends up out in the street throwing up. He is the only one that happens with."

Jiu-jitsu is all about prevailing in personal combat. The notion that life is, at bottom, a fight comes naturally to Mr. Mamet, the intellectually pugnacious son of a labor lawyer. I jabbed: "Why would a writer like you and in his 60s spend all this energy thinking about and physically rehearsing for an alley scrape? After all, there are not a lot of people out there looking to throw a punch at David Mamet, are there?" Rolling with my lead, Mr. Mamet replied: "That's true. But jiu-jitsu is all about avoiding confrontation." Continuing in a more personal vein: "It has made me calmer, less inclined to get angry quickly. And it has given me more control over my emotions."

Something of a martial-arts evangelist, Mr. Mamet believes that out of the discipline of jiu-jitsu a certain wisdom and moral discernment bubble up. It is as though, with practice, the puzzles that one faces on the mat -- of husbanding your strength and energy, and of remaining calm enough to glean your opponent's mistakes -- transmogrify into a general sagacity about responding to the battles of workaday life.

In his essays, Mr. Mamet has taken frequent note of the powerful need to belong in America. There can be no doubt that he has found a cadre in his Santa Monica dojo, whom he profoundly respects and feels at home with. Indeed, to hear him tell it, it was largely because of his enchantment with and affection for this subculture that Mr. Mamet resolved to write "Redbelt."

Plato and his teacher Socrates moved fluidly from the gym to the agora. Mr. Mamet, his revered jiu-jitsu mentor Renato Magno, and his circle of bouncers, cops, stunt men, body guards and former soldiers seem to live on tracks between the gym and the nearby restaurant where they regularly congregate for an afternoon repast.

"When I have a problem I will sometimes take it to the group," confessed the natural-born alpha male. Mr. Mamet, who is also an ardent student of the Stoics, elaborated: "For instance, someone who I thought was a friend did something rather traitorous. I asked the guys how they would handle the situation. My teacher Renato, of course, came back with 'Don't carry someone else's weight. Let him carry the weight; let it come back to haunt him.' This is one of the central tenets of jiu-jitsu. When you carry the other person's mass you tire yourself and so lose your ability to think clearly. That was the group's way of telling me to let the situation go, to walk away -- which I did."

However, I suspect that the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright would have found it harder to take the path of least resistance had the nettlesome situation involved one of his movies or plays. Mr. Mamet is an unrepentant moralist when it comes to his art form. In his book "Bambi vs. Godzilla," he chastised the entertainment industry for having lost its appreciation for film's mysterious power to ignite self-transformation. Though DVD players may have replaced the hearth in America, Mr. Mamet believes that most movies today are devoid of true drama, which, he notes in his essay, "Decadence" (1986), always requires engaging "the human capacity for choice."

The choice that sets "Redbelt" in motion is this: The main character, Mike Terry, an Iraq veteran played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, owns a financially troubled jiu-jitsu academy near Hollywood. There is much pressure on Mr. Terry to solve his financial difficulties by fighting professionally. But he is a purist who believes that competition weakens the fighter. Ironically enough, Mike Terry's creator, Mr. Mamet, is himself a zealous fan of mixed-martial-arts competition.

Though he does not regard "Redbelt" as a Bruce Lee-type flick, Mr. Mamet said that one of the greatest challenges was constructing the film's fight sequences: "Jiu-jitsu is a grappling, not a striking form of fighting. Striking is very filmable, because you have distance between the fighters. They come together and then apart, and the audience can follow it. But jiu-jitsu looks much more like wrestling. The fighters are tied up, and instead of fancy kicks and roundhouse punches the most dramatic thing might be one guy working to get a hand free and turn the fight around."

As our conversation drew to a close, Mr. Mamet proved as slippery as a well-oiled grappler, especially when served up some film-school-type questions: "How does 'Redbelt' relate to the rest of your work?" I asked. "It's later," he answered with restraint.

"How does it compare with 'Fight Club'?" I pressed. "I didn't see it," he said.

"Are there any differences from your other works in the use of language in this action-based film?" "None," he snapped, sneaking a glance at his watch. A cue? Pause.

"Well then," I eked out, "what are you doing the rest of the afternoon?"

"Writing. . . I'm always writing."

"On what?" I peeped. "A book of cartoons," responded the Marcus Aurelius of Tinseltown. Smiling warmly and extending his hand, Mr. Mamet emphatically stated: "I have always loved cartoons."
    Wall Street Journal
    Bless you

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I heard Ralph Machio is up for the role in "The Tank Abbott Story."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    David Carradine has a 'Kill Bill" MMA exercise tape, where he wears the yellow JKD track suit.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    David Carradine has a 'Kill Bill" MMA exercise tape, where he wears the yellow JKD track suit.
    Somebody needs to tell that man to just stop already.

More on Razak

Follow the link for the trailer.
    Bobby Razak and TapOut Films Premiere - Two Icons in MMA History Create Magic Together

Bobby Razak and TapOut Films presents "Bloodlines" which depicts the internal struggles of a man conquering his environment. This mixed martial arts short is the brainchild of Executive Producer Bobby Razak and TapOut Films. The sport was born of ancient Roman Gladiators, Pankration and Bruce Lee in an effort to combine the mental game with the physical prowess of masters. For this reason some say that mixed martial artists are the best athletes in the world. "Bloodlines" gives a compelling taste of a true warrior in the making. Public pre-launch party this Sat June 28th at 9pm at Miyagis West Hollywood 90046.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) June 27, 2008 -- The latest TapOut commercial, directed by Bobby Razak, debuted on the UFC TUF Finale and created record traffic to the TapOut website as well as a hungry buzz to see more. The premiere of "Bloodlines", a short film expanding on the commercial, kicks off with a pre-launch party this Saturday June 28th at 9pm at Miyagis in West Hollywood and will be posted exclusively on TapOut.com's website on July 1, 2008.

As mixed martial arts (MMA) goes mainstream the most authentic films and programming will come from veterans in the business. Bobby Razak has spent the last 14 years filming documentary-style accounts of the growth from No Holds Barred competition to a sanctioned sport. TapOut has spent as many years building a respected empire of clothing, fighter sponsorships and reality programming.

Bobby Razak and TapOut Films presents "Bloodlines" which depicts the internal struggles of a man conquering his environment. A troubled man, Nikko Medina triumphs adversity through developing his physical, mental and spiritual morals.

On a path to saving his life and family from violence and poverty he discovers a physical outlet in mixed martial arts that shapes his character. He is exposed to the hardship of transforming his mindset while molding his physical skill set. His spirit is tested with each trainer to reach his core being. Can he make it or not? What are his alternatives? As a newcomer to the sport, Medina is forced to face his inner demons when faced with a deadly opponent. His destiny unfolds.

This mixed martial arts short is the brainchild of Executive Producer Bobby Razak and TapOut Films. The sport was born of ancient Roman Gladiators, Pankration and Bruce Lee in an effort to combine the mental game with the physical prowess of masters. For this reason some say that mixed martial artists are the best athletes in the world. "Bloodlines" gives a compelling taste of a true warrior in the making.

As MMA continues to 'go global' Razak documents MMA's transition from underground to mainstream popularity as well as the legal, ethical and make-or-break career decisions that will mold the industry.

As a young boy growing up in Tottenham, London, England, Bobby Razak found himself extremely inspired by the art of film. Movies such as "Spartacus," "Enter the Dragon," and "Casablanca" triggered Bobby's dream to become a filmmaker. Determined not to let his dream go, Razak moved from England to Los Angeles, CA to pursue his career in film. Once in L.A., Bobby began working for various production companies until he was able to raise the money to produce and direct the critically acclaimed documentary, "Rites of Passage." The film explores the world of mixed martial arts (MMA) and enters the minds of the athletes featured providing a one of a kind, thoughtful, and introspective view of the MMA world. "Rites of Passage," was screened at Sundance Film Festival and appeared on In-Demand PPV across the USA.

Pushing the boundaries, Bobby's next film, "Pit Fight," was shot on 35mm film and contains real bare-knuckle fighting. "Pit Fight" was premiered in the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival, was screened at the Berlin Film Festival, and won numerous visual awards from around the world. He then produced "Invincible Warrior" and "Underground NHB". Switching gears, Bobby's next film, "Love, Pain, Eternal," explores the concepts of love, friendship, and self using his own life experiences. The powerfully emotional film will premiere at Festival de Cannes Short Film Corner May 2008.

In June 2008, Bobby directs a brand new MMA reality show called "Underground Kings Scout" featuring fight footage of MMA's talent, and "Underground Kings MMA" featuring the behind-the-scenes stories of new and legendary fighters. His latest release, the TapOut commercial and short film "Bloodlines" premieres July 2008 and his Pit Fight Redux will be TapOut's second installment in August 2008. Still passionate about his work, Bobby continues to seek out new ideas to capture on film. Often fueled by the experiences in his own life, you never know where Bobby's next film will lead its viewers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That was tai chi for MMA.
    Looks more like one of those traditional Thai dances....the one's they do before tournaments.