Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: the problem with forms

Acceptance by listeners of any anecdotal "war story" will be based upon the reputation of the instructor as well as the trust and confidence one has in the instructor.
    Ah, don't get me started on "war stories"....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    ok, this is sketchy recall, can't remember the guy's name or the club (if you throw out some names of places other than the ones you mentioned it might ring a bell because he had just stopped working there and I had, purely by accident of course, wandered in there the night before looking for a "pay phone"...), but he was shave-headed, worked in one of the strip bars, big place, 2 floors on whatever that street was where they all were located; he was maybe about 5'10"? really nice, funny guy; I am almost positive he did some sort of TCMA; I was there in the osteo program from fall '98 to spring '00 - started out at Sutherland Chan massage studio, then moved to the the Health Science Center then moved to a permanent on Dundas St. the second year (Canadian College of Osteo.); he would have either been a Licensed Massage Therapist or ? Athletic Trainer (I don't think he was a physio); or, he may have been one of the folks who had just started from scratch for the first time...
    It was probably the Brass Rail on Young st or Zanzibar.
    If its who I think it is, he does WC and Hung Ga ( maybe CLF too).

lol. you guys sure know your titty bars.

wait a minute..that means i know em too!

shhhhh
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol. you guys sure know your titty bars.

wait a minute..that means i know em too!

shhhhh

Ah, the titty bar...the best place to test your QiGong !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    No Eric it wouldnt. The forms are a conglomeration of techniques for different applications. You are limited by your own imagination with application. You then take those techniques and apply them one at a time until you have repeated them 1000's of times and then you progress with them to apply them in a movement situation more free by then the form has become no - form and the tech reactive much like the MMA guys with one exception. Most MMA guys cant shoot a finger strike and hit a penny dangling from a thread moving or this is one of my favorite punching and kicking bubbles. I amsure that one will get a laugh but try it it is good for accuracy. Anyway the short coming of the MMA genre is this they do MMA not all do combat MMA or are able to break a board with their fingertips much less 2 try this holding a 25 # dumbell for 2 minutes on the end with your finger tips. KC
    wow just wow. Sound's like something right out of the last dragon.

Anyway the short coming of the MMA genre is this they do MMA not all do combat MMA or are able to break a board with their fingertips much less 2 try this holding a 25 # dumbell for 2 minutes on the end with your finger tips.
    Yet again, I have to laugh, what the hell does MMA and breaking a board with your fingers have to do with each other? You fighting a lot of boards where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post

!st fight on a card with a light heavy who later had to retire I cant remember his name I fought a no body it was in anniston Al 1978, I fought against George Jeter in 1979 I lost that one it was my 1st fight pro only 3 rounds though.
    See, that wasn't so hard, so why did we have to hound you for pages to get you to cough it up?

Me? I've never said I was a great fighter. I was a "b level amateur" at best. I won the NYS full contact Taekwondo (under AAU) 2 years in the 80's, but of course fulll contact taekwondo has no leg kicks, punches or clinches. I had a few other fights under a few different sets of rules, no big deal

But, forgive me for returning to this, your so proud to say "trained to kill, PERIOD"... was this before your fights with these guys
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

(Eric) told me he di not receive your e-mail so are you a liar
    tell him to check his email at info@mpactsportstraining.com

that IS the one he lists on his web page

doesn't really matter since you already admitted you didn't train him to fight, you trained him a little "in the beginning" in some martial arts and then he went on to fight under someone else!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Well said SJ and i think you have hit the nail on the head it is better and easier to be a big fish in a little pond than a Master fish in a big pond. Those who discount form practice just dont seem to know how to train them KC
    yes those that disagree with you just havent mastered it and it makes you automatically right. theyre not useless no they jus havent got it right
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    What if someone never wanted to fight and wanted to use MA purely as a means of fitness? Would forms now be a better way? Still no real benefit? Is MA a good way to atain fitness as compared to traditional means?

What % of people take MA to actually fight?
    there are much better ways of just getting fit than MA

and if your intention is just to get fit then you arent a martial artist
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

So if you take martial arts with a goal of fitness, what are you?

What would you have to do differently to be a martial artist?

Wouldn't two people in the same school, one with a fitness goal and one without, do the same curriculum? I'm not talking about certain students that are going to compete. I'm talking about the average martial arts student.

Please explain?

If you want to do martial arts JUST for fitness, fitness with an "angle" so to speak

MORE POWER TO YOU

but then don't talk about how your regime also makes you a fighter

I have friends who do raquet ball, I don't have any issue with them doing raquet ball, and they don't think they can sword fight because they swing a raquet around the court a few times a week

A wannabe? a Poser? Someone that likes kung fu movies but doesn't wanna get smacked in the mouth like a bad, bad donkey?
    Tae-bo is what people like that are looking for by the way, not MA.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A wannabe? a Poser? Someone that likes kung fu movies but doesn't wanna get smacked in the mouth like a bad, bad donkey?
    Tae-bo is what people like that are looking for by the way, not MA.
    Actually, I am going to disagree. A good part of my school is based upon the proposition that everyone can benefit from martial arts training, even if with differeing levels of committment

People can warm up, shadow box, hit heavy bags, kick shields, do focus mitts, do Thai pads, and never do "contact drills" and will see a lot of positive benefits

But they shouldn't think they are fighters either

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Actually, I am going to disagree. A good part of my school is based upon the proposition that everyone can benefit from martial arts training, even if with differeing levels of committment

People can warm up, shadow box, hit heavy bags, kick shields, do focus mitts, do Thai pads, and never do "contact drills" and will see a lot of positive benefits

But they shouldn't think they are fighters either
    But are they doing a martial art or just exercising?
    What do they think they are doing?

Who said no contact? What if student does what everyone does with fitness as the goal. Not a martial artist? Only fighters? Is that sport fighting? Street fighting? self defense? Explain that.

I play baseball also with no plans of being a major league player.