Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

Yeah he isn't a movie performer that's for sure. He wasn't that bad, I was just hoping for a really tough villain since all the other bad guys were pretty weak. I dunno, I'm hard to please. I will tell you this, he's not nearly as bad as that Alexander Grand guy Chong fights at the start. He's gotta be the worst screen fighter I have ever seen, next to that snake fist fighter in Godfrey Ho's Buddhist Fist and Tigers Claws. Chong also fights Alexander Grand in Jade Claw. god he's bad. My favorite fight is carl Scott against the Chinese mustache guy who uses his 2 fingers of death. I like the slow mo shots in that fight.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I just got Magic Blade. Best kung fu movie I have seen in awhile.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

-Five Deadly Venoms (1978) Sun Chien, Philip Kwok Director: Chang Cheh. I just clicked submit on amazon and should have it by the end of the week!

Five Deadly Venoms is a great kf movie with a good story as well.

Not martial arts-oriented, but I watched my Help! DVD and actually enjoyed it a lot. I last saw the movie as a little kid and back then did not "get" a lot of what's going on. It's actually a funny movie, kinda like everyone involved was sky-high; I know the Beatles themselves were. I also never appreciated before the extent to which the Beatles revolutionized (created?) the music video. Overall, not as good a movie as A Hard Day's Night, but the transfer is beautiful, and something to watch to escape for a while. On a sidenote, Ringo is pursued by cult members who want to sacrifice him, and their weapon of choice is a small Gurkha Kukri knife.

I just got The Sheperd. Here's a review I did for it- http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I just got The Sheperd. Here's a review I did for it- http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    FWIW, Isaac Florentine (an Israeli(?)) lived across the street from my Father in Valley Village/North Hollywood.
    He taught some Shotokan (apparently) in his garage which was frequently open to the street.....

Yeah I think he is Israeli (spelling?). He's got some nice kicks. He shows off a bit in the behind the scenes of Undisputed 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Yeah I think he is Israeli (spelling?). He's got some nice kicks. He shows off a bit in the behind the scenes of Undisputed 2.
    I didn't see an awful lot of their kicking, since he had his garage floor covered with those really thick vinyl-covered foam mats.... LOUSY footing.
    From what I'm remembering of the brief conversation we had (during his class) he might have been RimboKan.
    (same style as Ron Marchini..... IIRC)

Seemed to be very competent in any case.
    (enthusiastically so)
    (nice guy)

I just started watching The Chinese Mack and it has the Secret Rivals music playing in the opening credits. I figured this was gonna be bad, but I'm gonna give it a chance now.

10. Maybe the best Ninja movie ever

Hi,

Seems this thread has merged with the "recent viewings" so I'll go along with it.

To start with, I recently bought "Killer Meteors" at FYE for 3.50. It was on the Columbia label. Well, I liked this movie quite a bit. It did get kinda confusing, as it seems it was a different girl that was Chan's wife, who killed herself, but then later his wife is the Lord's daughter, a different girl? I got kinda lost there. I need to watch it again, I guess. But overall, I found it very entertaining, and while I read a lot of negatives of Lo Wei, I like all the stuff I have seen. Now the main negative of this, was more the DVD product, starting with the name Jackie Chan in big letters and his image on the cover, since he had a small role, and didn't do much at all. Also, I expect higher image transfer quality from the big labels, and this was full-screen and not bad, but not as good as I'd expect, but then Columbia's New Fist of Fury looked rather haggered too.

Next up is Vampire Raiders Vs Ninja Queen. The first word that comes to mind is "wow!". This may be the greatest Ninja movie ever! This movie is so over the top awesome and filled with Ninja madness, as well as insane Chinese vampires. It is not just a movie, but an experience. This great epic is a Tomas Tang Filmark movie. I kinda feel like I like the Filmark movies more than the IFD ones. This don't have an official release, and the quality of the disc I got was watchable but had a herky jerky movement, making me think it was downloaded off a not so hot file or something. If I was a DVD company I'd made a series called "The Filmark Project", and give these awesome titles a proper release.

I also recently watched:
    Ninja: American Warrior. This is a Tomas Tang Filmark movie. This one was a bit weak, and I think it was the lack of awesome Ninja action. It had some, but most of it was about this woman who is really hot, I think she was in Ninja Warriors of Fire? infiltrating some crime syndicate. But actually the worst part of this was the DVD product, which is available for retail, but the sound synch is off just a bit, but enough to be annoying. It was OK, but needs a rewatch.

If anyone can help me with my Filmark and IFD title collecting mission, and wants to, let me know at nsp2881 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Also I just got:
    Zombie Vs. Ninja. This is an IFD masterwork, I only sampled the disc, and haven't watched it yet.
    Enter the Ninja. I haven't seen this yet either. I know about it though. I do have Revenge of the Ninja and have watched that and liked it. I like all the Cannon Ninja movies I have seen. I also am a big fan of Franco Nero. I have quite alot of his other movies.

That's all I got for now.

Chosen One

kungpowmaster:
    Have you seen Ninja III: The Domination? It's the third Sho Kosugi ninja movie that kinda combines the ninja genre with Flashdance and The Exorcist(!).

recent buys

Showdown in Little Tokyo
    Madam city Hunter
    Knight Errant
    Women on the Run
    King Boxer (Meng Fei)

Blockbuster 4 for $20 bin, 2 disc special addition NEW Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000): Chow Yun Fat Michelle Yeoh, -Dynamite Warrior: Zieng (Dan Chupong) 2007, -Thunderbolt (1995) Jackie Chan, - The Hard Corps (2006) Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Last edited by Egg fu young; 04-14-2008 at 03:23 AM.

14. stuff I got today

Hi,

In refernce to an earlier post, no, I have not seen Ninja III, The Domination. I WISH MGM, or Cannon Video(Warner) would put out "Ninja III" as well as "Enter the Ninja", as that "copy" I finally got was rather a bad picture.

OK, today I got:

The Shogun Collection, 4 movies with Sonny Chiba. 8 bucks, used/like new.
    Eastern Condors, with Sammo Hung, 6.99 new.
    Missing In Action 2, and 3, with Chuck Norris. 5.99, used/like new.
    Ninja: The Protector, with Richard Harrison. 3.98 new.
    Cobra Vs. Ninja, w/ another title I can't remember. 5.49 new.

Comments welcome,

Chosen One

Eastern Condors is a very good Sammo Hung film. Except for a few overly silly scenes (such as the main group standing in a field without cover and shooting down enemies in cover usually w/out suffering casualties themselves), it's a m.a. version of The Dirty Dozen. Awesome and painful-looking fights!

A couple weeks ago, I got The Magic Blade, and I agree with Jethro that it's one of the better wuxia/swordplay films out there. I remember seeing it (and a load of other Chu Yuan/Chor Yuen-directed wuxia films back in the early '80s), and time certainly is kind to these films. I did not always like Chu Yuan's films back then, sitting through them during triple or quadruple-features in order to see the "better kung fu films". In fact, now I LOVE those films. I guess it's kinda like songs I grew up with; some that were just okay back then sound outstanding now.

The Magic Blade is, IMO, in the top 3 of the Image/Celestial Shaw releases out so far. I'm looking forward to some of the other Chu Yuan epics to be released.