Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
Why would they do a Capoeira episode? You don't actually fight.....you just artfully miss. And even the Capoeira lucha things I've seen online are a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I love capoeira and I've been doing it for something like 1.5 years, but it's not exactly a "martial art". It's a great workout, it works balance, speed, and coordination, but it's not "fighting". It's really kind of like dancing, which is why I'd never study it by itself.

There are a lot of great capoeira cats that have reeeealllly bad ideas about what fighting involves.
I appreciate your input. The subject of capoeira's effectiveness is debatable to say the least but that is not my main intention right now. You have experience with this martial art and your opinions about it no doubt stem from your experiences. I've heard people who echo the same sentiments as you. But there are other "capoeiristas" out there who also have a different opinion about that art. I've also been told that those kicks have a mark when they "play" and that it is considered a fighting art. Who's right and who's wrong seems to be a moot point.

Even though I don't have any real experience with it myself, I'd personally like to see it showcased as a martial fan and practicioner. It is described as a dance, martial art, leisure, sport and/or a way of living. It has other aspects that look interesting and would make for good tv.

--As another aside, there are fans of the show who would like to see Doug and Jimmy take on capoeira. Some feel as you do and some feel that five days would not be enough to accurately depict it. Doug and Jimmy would definitely get a good workout.--
I believe is an interesting thing that people who study the same "martial art" have different perspectives about it.

Now for the crux..

**The REASON I brought it up was because I THOUGHT I had seen it in the line-up in the episode guide. I was sure of it and then it suddenly just disappeared. Maybe it was some kind of illusion on my monitor. Thanks for telling us about some of its aspects though. It is nice to hear from someone who actually practices and I respect that you were trying to describe it from an unbiased POV.**