Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qi Gung

Qi Gung

What types of qigung do you do (if any). Why do you do them?

I practice absorbing chi from the earth and nature in the park near my home. I also attend a tai chi class once a week where we do chi gong and occasionaly meditation, don't know if there's a specific name to the chi gong though.

I do chi gong to aid my health and give foundation to my other, more physical, practices.

i do 8 ba duan jin

http://www.ru.ac.za/societies/qi/baduanjin/

mostly for stretching/warming up.... though you can use it for health/energy and power.... but i don't know much about that

I practise Siu Lim Tao which has it's own 'hei gung' cultivation imho, which is moved and developed through Chum Kiu and harnessed and released through Biu Jii.

Standing postures and therapeutic stretching also assists hei flow and is a core practise for me personally at home. Mostly I practise for self defence against infections and viruses! It also helps build strength and power, but this is a different intent and harder to accomplish on your own...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Ba Duan Jin and Yi Jin Jing... also working on Iron Shirt...

Hatha Yoga and Pranayama.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The Buddhist scriptures tell us how He (Buddha (Siddharta Gautama))was trained in Hindu philosophy, Yoga and martial arts. Hindu society, like its Chinese counterpart, had always acknowledged the link between psycho-spiritual development and that of physical development – but more than this, it was also acknowledged that at the highest levels, the distinction between the 'psychological' and the 'physical' falls away, to reveal a clear, pristine Mind that embraces the universe, within which all things manifest – including our own physical bodies. This philosophical concept of 'oneness' is further emphasised by the fact that just 'silent sitting' in meditation was not enough to transcend the suffering of life on the physical plane. Simply ignoring the 'physical' world does not make it 'go away.' Practicing the in-depth and diverse movements of the many styles of martial art – with a concentrated and developed mind (acquired through seated meditation) creates the perfect balance of 'mind' and 'body.' For when the physical body is aligned, and that body is merged with the 'One Mind,' universal energy flows and there is nothing that can not be achieved. If the Mind is enlightened through seated meditation, that is its essence; when the Mind moves the body on the physical plane, that is its function. All things accord, and there is peace.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...hp?article=626
    Answering the why.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    What types of qigung do you do (if any). Why do you do them?
    The forms are my qigong. I like to practice them really slow while concentrating on my powerlines, posture & principle connections. I also take separate movements directly from the forms repeating them. I think it's really helped with my development over the last few years.
    Sifu Adam Williss
    The Dragon Institute
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/orangecountywingchunkungfu

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Hatha Yoga and Pranayama.
    What are your views on "power yoga" ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

For weight loss...

10 excercises of Wu meridian qigong in conjuction with Dragon's Way diet, both from a book by TCM doc Nan Lu.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Though I've only had one class, I like practicing the little tiny bit of Sil Lum Tao that I know very slowly with controlled breathing (like taiji). I also practice qigong from Taiji Quan and Xingyi Quan.

What is Qigong?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    What is Qigong?
    A good Cuban cigar ,,,, a 21 year old glass of Macallan aged sherry oak scotch ,,,, and a beautiful woman
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hello,

When I do practice, which is not often as my skills will attest , I do a series of standing postures known as Jam Jong. Pretty cool and relaxing as well.

Of course I usually practice my favorite form of Chi Kung laying in a prone position in bed with my eyes closed. Sometimes I even make strange rythmic noises as a form of breath control.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    A good Cuban cigar ,,,, a 21 year old glass of Macallan aged sherry oak scotch ,,,, and a beautiful woman
    As always instructional and to the point
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop