Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you used WC in competition?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think that competition is crucial,more so than "street fights" in terms of ones developments.
    Success in competitions, while important, can be Overplayed by many, look at:

Angelo Dundee
    Emanuel Stewart
    Cus D'amato

All have trained world champions and the best in the game, yet, they were never the best AT the Game....

Only in the MA do we expect our teachers/coaches to be uber-men and undefeatbale.

Fact is, if we take the above as examples, what you know and how will you can train someone is far more important than how good a fighter you are/were.
    ---Excellent points! I have often thought the same thing. How many college or NFL football coaches were ever star players themselves? Look at Greg Jackson. He has produced fighters like Diego Sanchez, Keith Jardine and Nate Marquardt, and guys like Georges St. Pierre and Rashad Evans have gone to train with him....yet he was never a big-name fighter himself.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    ---Excellent points! I have often thought the same thing. How many college or NFL football coaches were ever star players themselves? Look at Greg Jackson. He has produced fighters like Diego Sanchez, Keith Jardine and Nate Marquardt, and guys like Georges St. Pierre and Rashad Evans have gone to train with him....yet he was never a big-name fighter himself.
    Some are great fighters, some great teachers, very few are both and even fewer are trainer of champions.
    Probably because fighting and teaching/coaching/training are different things, as a fighter you use what works for you, as a coach/teacher/trainer, you must fine what works for others and how to maximize that.
    Much easier said then done.
    BUT, fighting experience is still a must.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You see it in every sport. Those who are successfull in coaching/teaching, what have you might not have been the greatest at the sport but have that ability and knowledge to pass it on and make things work for others. The Phoenix Coyotes have not been or close to being at the top the last few years and they have the best player in the game as their coach, Wayne Gretzky.

As I have a very small training group here in the Harbour - my wife always gives me a hard time about the saying:

"Those who can't - teach!"

Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Made my points - and really don't care what Dale or anyone else think about it. This has been coming for a long time. Maybe now I won't have to go over this again. Perhaps now the occasional memory lapse about who's who and what's what that some people suffer from will be permanently cured.
    Your points didn't prove anything except that you are one sad man. The people who count know who's who and what's what. Let's move on.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I "used" WC techniques in competition boxing (Golden Gloves), kickboxing (local full contact matches), and, even wrestling comps (I was a brainwashed young guy whose WC instructors- who had never wrestled before- told me that it worked great against wrestlers- ya, right).
    care to share the "lineage"? Just for my own personal interests nothing more.

As far as gloves, I've fought with 8oz gloves, 6 oz gloves, 12 oz gloves, 14 oz gloves, MMA gloves and empty hands. I never found the gloves to change things that much unless you throw grappling into the mix. Even with grappling, if your stuff is any good you should be able to do it with gloves.
    I 100% agree. Its a different feeling but thats about it. I never heard anyone really claim that WC can wrestle.. well Emin does..

"Your points didn't prove anything..." (Phil)

***EXCEPT for the fact that you couldn't answer any of them.

Hmmm.....

Hmmm.....
    OK this is really pathetic. if you guys can't make arguments entertaining like the CTS disciples and students then keep it off the forum.

Hmmm.....
    Said points mean absolutely nothing to the rest of the forum. You want to air your grievances - do it within TWC circles.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Said points mean absolutely nothing to the rest of the forum. You want to air your grievances - do it within TWC circles.
    I agree whole heartedly. I tried to keep this in private emails. I never planned on having it aired here. I'll be moving on.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think that competition is crucial,more so than "street fights" in terms of ones developments. . . . .
    I think the same. In a street fight there are different elements involved that might not require skill. Anyone can pick up a bottle, bat, stick or whatever and not have any martial arts skills. In a competition you should be using the skills you trained in against some one else who is doing the same.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 12-19-2007 at 08:52 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

"I'll be moving on."

***THAT'S a good idea.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-19-2007 at 08:55 AM.

As far as gloves, I've fought with 8oz gloves, 6 oz gloves, 12 oz gloves, 14 oz gloves, MMA gloves and empty hands. I never found the gloves to change things that much unless you throw grappling into the mix. Even with grappling, if your stuff is any good you should be able to do it with gloves.
    50-50 on this one Dale, the bigger gloves tend to facilitate "blocking" a little better and people tend to "hit harder" the more padding they have on their hands.
    The issue of "arm endurance" is another thing, but not that great a deal.
    Doing "typical" WC punches with 14oz and 8oz as compared to using a "typical boxers strike" is noticable, but nothing that can't be tinkered with.

Bare knuckle VS 14oz will create some differences in delivery, namely people will tend to be alot cleaner in their shots bare handed than they will with "pillows" on their hands.
    Most people will also, like I mentioned before, hit less hard bareknuckle than with 14oz.

Apology to Victor

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for my previous post where I edited Victors comments. I was only trying to have a little fun. However, those who opted to respond were correct and I should not have posted such. I want to offer an apology to Victor and any Forum members whom I may have inadvertently offended. I assure you it was all in the spirit of fun, but ill conceived just the same.

On a more serious note, I hope that Victor and Phil can work out whatever differences they may have. I believe that both have much to offer this forum. While we may not always agree, each person here brings something to the table.

Again sorry!!
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Disagreement = debate

This is not a bad thing, I don't understand how anyone can have issues with people disagreeing with them, debate is half the fun, sure its not as much fun as doing jell-o shots of Jessica Alba's crotch, but what is ?