Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: "Fantasy-base" martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This just opens another "can of worms", the infamous " it worked for me so I am happy" can of worms.

While very few train to be able to fight against a trained fighter and one can argue ( I don't but one can) that the chances of meeting a trained fighter are rather slim, The fact is that the training to be able to beat a trained figther is the SAME as the type of training one would do to get the best out of his fighting skills.
    To train in a way that allows us to beat a "common thug" but not good enough for a trained fighter, when we have the training available to us that can allows us to beat BOTH, makes no sense to me.
    Too many shades of grey..

I figure this kid was mid-level in his school.. But who knows for sure he could have trained for less than a year..

Want to see how good or bad he is, then we'd have to see him fight someone better.. We'd have to know how long and hard he trains.. IMO he has some good attributes..

How good of a fighter does one need to beat to qualify as good enough..?

Some folks I know have trained very hard for years and still aint so good.. Still others could whoop ass before training at all...

There are all levels in sport, all levels in life, how good is good?

Surely there's room for "dojo fighters", no?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

some of the best fighters I know are "dojo fighters" so yes, there is room, BUT, those same dojo fighters, or "gym fighters" if you pefer, do fight.

Someone once said that you are only as good as your last fight or at least, what you have learned form your last fight.
    Very few of us have access to train with the top 5% of the fighters in the world, what we can do is train like them though.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Too many shades of grey..

I figure this kid was mid-level in his school.. But who knows for sure he could have trained for less than a year..

Want to see how good or bad he is, then we'd have to see him fight someone better.. We'd have to know how long and hard he trains.. IMO he has some good attributes..

How good of a fighter does one need to beat to qualify as good enough..?

Some folks I know have trained very hard for years and still aint so good.. Still others could whoop ass before training at all...

Bingo. Good post. That was my point of posting the real (albeit humorous) video.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    some of the best fighters I know are "dojo fighters" so yes, there is room, BUT, those same dojo fighters, or "gym fighters" if you pefer, do fight.

Someone once said that you are only as good as your last fight or at least, what you have learned form your last fight.
    Very few of us have access to train with the top 5% of the fighters in the world, what we can do is train like them though.
    My guess is that kid does/did spar..

His performance was stylized but, again, I see some good attributes--clean KO, power, visual focus, hand/eye, continuity of attack, distance awareness..

I can't believe he only did forms, etc..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

If we are gonna talk about fantasy:
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I started this thread in order to suggest the BJJ may not be the paragon of "functional" or "reality" martial arts that Terrence and Dale would have us believe.

Yesterday I was reading the latest issue of "Martial Arts Masters Magazine" and came across an interesting interview. It was entitled "An Inconvenient Truth." That article contained the following quote:

"Today, nearly 95% of all BJJ practitioners are being taught and focusing their efforts on preparing for competitions, including the Mundial. The problem is that 95% of what is being used in competition does not apply, and will not work in a real fight."

That is a comment from Ryron Gracie, son of Rorion, grandson of Helio. and the primary instructor at the Gracie Academy. It suggests the strong possibility that Ryron would agree that there is an element of "fantasy fu" in BJJ, just as in other martial arts. Granted...its a matter of degree. But again, perhaps BJJ isn't the paragon of "reality" fighting that Terrence and Dale would like us to believe. Just thought I would close out my involvement on this thread with words from someone who should have good insight into BJJ itself.
    Does BJJ have some fantasy foo? Yep... I've noted before that just about all of the "self-defense" in BJJ is mostly B.S.

BJJ's "self-defense" is very TMAish with compliant partners, no sparring, and theoretical techniques. Fortunately, it is a very small, if not nonexistent, part of most BJJ programs.

When I trained at Ryron's school, I used to ask for my money back whenever we did a full class of nothing but "self-defense".

Quote Originally Posted by nschmelzer View Post
    Hmmm. This guy was using his "fantasy-based" traditional martial arts (TMA) to take care of a problem he was having. It looks like he was using some sort of fantasy karate TMA. I wonder if the guy he knocked out in the street fight knew he was up against a fantasy-based TMA?
    Notice how all his "form" completely fell apart once he started fighting. Either one of those kids could have won that fight. The TMA guy's wild punch just happened to be the first one to land.

Oh yea, judging by all the friends of the guy who got knocked out - I am sure the TMA guy would have gotten stomped by multiple attackers if he had attempted a take-down for some grappling, submission or ground & pound.
    LOL... since when does standing up make you impervious to being jumped by your opponent's friends? Some of you guys are really out of touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    This is also true of any other martial art.
    I am also curious. What are the other differences do you see from the 'street mma' and the 'ring versions'?

~Cg~
    Street MMA:
    - Add biting and eye gouges (not the little eye flicks that most TMA guys think of as eye gouges) from the basic MMA/BJJ ground control positions.
    - Choke to unconsciousness and follow with joint breaks.
    - Replace applying controlled submissions with multiple, ballistic movements designed to compound injuries to the joints.

Choke V. Strangulation

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Street MMA:
    - Add biting and eye gouges (not the little eye flicks that most TMA guys think of as eye gouges) from the basic MMA/BJJ ground control positions.
    - Choke to unconsciousness and follow with joint breaks.
    - Replace applying controlled submissions with multiple, ballistic movements designed to compound injuries to the joints.

Is there a 'safe' way to strangle vs. using a choke in competiton.? I know strangulation is more potentially lethal since you are actually cutting off blood supply to brain but from what Ive seen it works quicker. Chokes(cutting of the air) seems to take a few seconds longer and the guys are usually concious enough to tap. Shamrock finished off Baroni with a strangle. You can tell because he dropped unconcious immediately. Couldn't even tap. Ref had to do it for him.

~Cg~

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Is there a 'safe' way to strangle vs. using a choke in competiton.? I know strangulation is more potentially lethal since you are actually cutting off blood supply to brain but from what Ive seen it works quicker. Chokes(cutting of the air) seems to take a few seconds longer and the guys are usually concious enough to tap. Shamrock finished off Baroni with a strangle. You can tell because he dropped unconcious immediately. Couldn't even tap. Ref had to do it for him.

~Cg~
    Strangle and choke are basically synonyms. When I use the word choke in terms of technique, I am talking blood choke (cutting off the blood supply), as this is the preferred method.

It's arguable strangles are safer than chokes - by cutting off the air supply you have more chance of damaging the windpipe.

IIRC people have been getting choked out for a century at the Kodokan with no fatalities, and some BJJ schools in Brazil have regular no tap sessions where you can choke out or be choked out. Unless you have some anatomical weakness or the guy holds it on for far too long, chokes/strangles in training or competition are unlikely to cause damage.

So they're hardly "lethal" - or at least far less so than knockouts from head trauma.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    It's arguable strangles are safer than chokes - by cutting off the air supply you have more chance of damaging the windpipe.

IIRC people have been getting choked out for a century at the Kodokan with no fatalities, and some BJJ schools in Brazil have regular no tap sessions where you can choke out or be choked out. Unless you have some anatomical weakness or the guy holds it on for far too long, chokes/strangles in training or competition are unlikely to cause damage.

So they're hardly "lethal" - or at least far less so than knockouts from head trauma.
    The paradox of the blood choke:

You can render someone completely helpless in 3 to 5 seconds, yet it is perfectly harmless when release soon after unconsciousness occurs.

Hold on to the choke for too long and you can cause irreversable brain damage or death.

Just as a point of reference, in catch wrestling circles it's said that a "choke" attacks the windpipe (throat) and therefore cuts off the air needed to breath - and a "strangle" attacks the blood flow to the brain by pressuring the carotid arteries on the sides of the throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    LOL... since when does standing up make you impervious to being jumped by your opponent's friends? Some of you guys are really out of touch with reality.
    The reality is, friends are much more likely to jump in and stomp once the guy is on the ground. Anyone with any experience will know that to be true. You lose what little credibility you have when you deny this obvious fact.

Also, I concede it was a lucky hook punch that ended the fight. But maybe it was the guy's TMA training that gave him the confidence and spirit to throw that punch in the first place, and at the right time? That's the point. TMA is not only the shapes and tools of MMA - it can improve a fighter's best weapons - his mind and his spirit.

Hey Nick!

Keith...you should actually train in some BJJ before commenting on it.

---Since when is that a requirement in any discussion forum? And besides, I have posted on this thread previously that I have done some basic BJJ.

There are four expressions of BJJ - Gi, No GI, MMA and street. Helio and sons dont like Gi and No Gi because of
    a) the points system and time limits (meaning you can stall to a win )
    b) the neglecting of the traditional self defense curriculum (a specific set if techniques)
    c) The positions that would leave you vulnerable to striking on the street (e.g. half guard)

---While you don't actually say you agree with me, you prove my point. There is a good amount of "fantasy-fu" is BJJ, as in other arts. And you have just stated that Helio Gracie...the Grandmaster of GJJ agrees with that idea.

But what makes BJJ so effective and what remains constant no matter what the expression (sport or non sport) are.....

---No doubt! If you have been reading this thread you will note that I never said bad things about BJJ, and stated that I admire it. My point has been that it has a "fantasy-fu" element just like other arts. Hence the title of this thread.

---Its funny, and I guess just human nature....you can get people to argue with you until you are blue in the face, but its hard to get people to actually agree with you on a given point, regardless of how obvious it may be.