Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combat aikido mma

combat aikido mma

Here are some randori clips from Jason DeLucia's combat aikido series for mma.

Thought this may be interesting after the aikido topic on the main forum. From what I have read I believe he is a believer in using aikido principles in a mma format and thought some may either enjoy this or hate it.

Personally, I don't like almost anything about aikido as a fighting art, I don't believe it is one and at times it can even stretch over into the realm of an amer-asian delusion, could it have some good training tools, some grease for the wheel, some believe yes and that is why I present this.

......and for the love of god will someone tell me why they never put up there freakin hands to guard there face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVbS0xHCerw

Blog Entries
    How is this different than Judo?

FP

No kidding. Where are all the Aikido wristlocks?

I counted 4 aikido techniques in the whole thing, the rest is textbook Judo, and much of it contrary to Aiki principles. Still, it bore more resembalnce to Aikido than his 5 animals Kung Fu does to what the rest of us consider 5 animals Kung Fu
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    It's not... the more realistic you make it, the more it will resemble Judo or Sambo.

Working in a realistic fashion against other skilled opponents with a gi will look much the same, no matter what the style. That is the reason Sambo and Judo look so similar even though they have different rule sets.

Same thing when you take away the gi and add in striking. All styles, no matter what their origin or intent, will look pretty much like MMA fighting.

BTW, that's not randori. That is one guy doing a demo with another guy... although in a slightly more realistic fashion than most aikido demos.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 07-21-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    It's not... the more realistic you make it, the more it will resemble Judo or Sambo.
    wow, sounds like what I said on the other aikido thread

I'm curious though when and where Deluca learned his "aikido"? His stories about learning "5 animal" in Boston never seemed to pan out
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Something I've noticed...then slapped myself and said "No duh!"

Whenever you see a "TMA's" going toe-to-toe without outside training principles and regimens, they generally look sloppy and uncontrolled, and we say....that doesn't look like kung-fu. It's because their techniques are sloppy, and often uncontrolled and out of rhythm, and out of place in modern fights. But then we see MT fighters, MMA fighters, etc, and they have pretty good control and structure during full contact fights. Good MT (pro thai's, at least) fighters can keep grapplers at bay with their teeps (mostly because they're so friggin' fast with their kicks). The more you train to fight in a reasonable and fluent manner, the more you look like everyone else that trains to fight realistically. There was a dude on this forum, forget who, who once said that his master told him: "fighting should look like fighting." That's the truth.

It's not that it looks like Judo that's upsetting people, if he was using his bodyweight more, getting in tighter etc then we'd all be going "that's really cool and interesting". The problem is that he's doing Judo.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    I just figured out what makes it "combat" aikido.....rock n roll sound track, cool spikey hair and an expensive dojo.....hai!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    It's not that it looks like Judo that's upsetting people, if he was using his bodyweight more, getting in tighter etc then we'd all be going "that's really cool and interesting". The problem is that he's doing Judo.
    Judo is aikido, only done with realistic applications against resisting, skilled opponents.

Working in a realistic fashion against other skilled opponents with a gi will look much the same, no matter what the style. That is the reason Sambo and Judo look so similar even though they have different rule sets.

Same thing when you take away the gi and add in striking. All styles, no matter what their origin or intent, will look pretty much like MMA fighting.

BTW, that's not randori. That is one guy doing a demo with another guy... although in a slightly more realistic fashion than most aikido demos.

Yeh, I have to agree this is generally true. Over the years, I've seen quite a few Chinese stylists fight (I'm not a Chinese guy myself) and they end up looking like everybody else -- who have migrated to the MMA way of doing things in a real dust up. Same with aikido: it ends up looking a lot like judo/sambo/chin na.

BTW, there is an interesting vid on youtube I stumbled across a while back showing a real full contac MMA match between an aikido guy and a striker. It was filmed in Russia. The aikido guy does pretty well, considering he probably never fought a full contact match before. Sorry I can't give you the URL.

He is emphasising the "irimi" principle more than any other, the "aiki" is there, once and awhile.

Dayum, nobody told me bout this thread!

No time, but a couple of brief comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    ......and for the love of god will someone tell me why they never put up there freakin hands to guard there face.
    The classical reason is that because aikijutsu was practised to simulate being attacked in your house when defenseless/unarmed (hence the suwari waza) and because it comes from sword principles, and Japanese swordsmanship, same as Western fencing to a lesser extent and German swordsmanship among others, would often leave an opening to lead the opponent in. It has little place in modern unarmed MA unless you're really ****ing hard/quick!

Aikidoka who prefer the pre-war versions or Yoshinkan for example will start everything with a strike, and will work any throw/lock/kuzushi on the arm(s) that come up to defend, not wait for someone to attack you and then try to catch the punch or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Because it's aikido? What's your question?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    No kidding. Where are all the Aikido wristlocks?
    For the ****ing four-hundredth time, even most aiki-fairies don't actually advocate running in and doing a wristlock on a free arm that's just tried to punch you (they may not advocate it but unfortunately many still practice that way). A wristlock/armlock should always come after atemi: same as most grappling (or, for example a lot of head-high kicks that also need a set up), you don't just grab willy-nilly, you have to set it up, and the aiki locking waza are set up by striking first.

He's not setting anything up with strikes first, presumably because they're not sparring/competing.

And BTW, there are at least as many throwing techs as locking techs in aiki, and the locking techs that you're not going to get without setting them up will go straight into a throw... all locking techs can be used as throws if the opportunity's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I counted 4 aikido techniques in the whole thing, the rest is textbook Judo, and much of it contrary to Aiki principles.
    I'll go through this when I have time and tell you exactly what techs he's doing when. If you only counted 4 aiki techs, I would suggest your aiki 'experience' was even crapper than most. And please, feel free to break down what he's doing at what times that is contrary to what aiki principles. Otherwise, it's just hot air.

Judo is aikido, only done with realistic applications against resisting, skilled opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    wow, sounds like what I said on the other aikido thread
    Me too. Because it's true!

I'm curious though when and where Deluca learned his "aikido"? His stories about learning "5 animal" in Boston never seemed to pan out
    Yeah, I've often wondered that, but not enough to be bothered checking out his site. This looks more like aiki than some other clips I've seen that he claims are 'combat aiki'.

Sure. It's very light resistance, and I don't think the other bloke always knows exactly what's coming, or that De Lucia knows exactly what he's gonna do, but it isn't randori by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    He is emphasising the "irimi" principle more than any other, the "aiki" is there, once and awhile.
    That's just what he should be emphasizing. Prewar Ueshiba insisted on going directly and aggressively in, and only doing tenkan to get kuzushi (eg, through levering or uprooting or crushing) when you meet too much resistance. This makes good sense IMO and is shared by a lot of MA.

I get kind of bored of repeating this **** over and over again... Where's Samurai Jack when you need him!?
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 07-25-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

That's just what he should be emphasizing. Prewar Ueshiba insisted on going directly and aggressively in, and only doing tenkan to get kuzushi (eg, through levering or uprooting or crushing) when you meet too much resistance. This makes good sense IMO and is shared by a lot of MA.
    My post wasn't a critique, it was showing that what he was doing, had Aikido principles.

I know. I was agreeing, reiterating and elaborating a little. The line at the bottom was a conclusion to threads about aikido where I always repeat myself... not a direct response to you. Sorry.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan