Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Absurd use of Conservatism vs. Liberalism in some shools

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    However do you really want an "Absurd use of realism"? Then check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...aq.stoning.cnn

It's of the stoning death of a teenage girl in Iraq. Outragious. It looked like hundreds of men were there and took part.....no one lifted a finger to help.

Watch this video while at the same time remind yourself that these are the people that Americans are fighting and dying for.
    I don't really think this is so outrageous. Even in today's modern society. Some of you will think I'm out of my mind, I'm sure. But even if you read the Bible, it doesn't actually proscript anyone from stoning women to death. It merely says: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

So, what I see when I watch this video are couple of stand-up guys who made smart life decisions, avoided sin whithersoever it lay in ambush, who stoned a girl because she violated the law.

Who are you to judge the sinless?

Quote Originally Posted by BraveMonkey View Post
    All liberalism is, is a movement towards tolerance and free-thinking. It's a way of thinking that promotes the idea that people should live as they see fit (as long as it doesn't harm other people) rather than living as *I* see fit. I would hope that teachers and professors would in fact instill the idea people should have open minds and broad perspectives, rather than trying to instill strict boundaries on what is and is not okay based on personal biases and/or religious dogma.
    I'm sensing a pattern of me agreeing with you BraveMonkey lol, nicely said, very well put.
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

Blog Entries
    I think a better term than liberal is progressive. What is "liberal" is always changing. Many of the values and beliefs that republicans hold would have been considered liberal 200 yrs ago. Liberals want to keep changing things to make them better, conservatives think that if we go back it will make them better.

The problem I see for conservatives is that the world is changing so fast now. Technology and knowledge accumulation are acclerated. There are huge differences now in the experiences of people born only 10 yrs apart.

This "human experiment" has a life of its own now. We can only adapt and try to do the least amount of harm and cause the least amount of suffering.

We can't go back.

If anyone is interested there is a theory known as Spiral Dynamics that seeks to explain the evolution of value systems. Its an interesting perspective.

Gee. The blame game. How fun. Prime example of what is wrong with the ME too, incidentally. Anyway....

My 5-point plan for un****ing the public school system:

1. Pay teachers more. You can't attract better talent without more cash. There is a price for this, found in point 2.

2. End tenure for public school teachers. You're an employee, evaluated on performance, not on longevity.

3. Establish performance metrics that include standardized tests for various subjects at particular waypoints. These tests would include essays and such, so I'm not just talking about multiple choice scantron bull****. Yeah, I know standardized tests aren't popular to some people, but you've got to measure if you want improvement. Tough ****.

4. Recognize that not every kid is college material. Establish exams before you enter your Junior year of High School to determine university or votech track. Institute appropriate vo-tech education to give them the specialized skills to make a good living, and get them certified in a skill/program of their choice. This doesn't mean they can't pursue a college degree later in life. There is as much honor and worth in landscaping, being a good mechanic, a plumber or a nurse (yes, I know that takes longer...) as there is in a bachelor's degree.

5. Create accountability in your students. ****-ups have consequences. I have a friend, for instance, that had to figure out which students REALLY deserved to fail, because she was only allowed to fail a certain percentage. **** that.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    I think a better term than liberal is progressive.
    I leave the term "Progressive" to the Democrats and all the others who are interested in word play. If someone introduces themselves to me as a progressive I simply shake their hand, say "Nice to meet you" and move on. Personally I have less respect for these people than I do the hard core conservatives. The "Progressives" are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I'm a liberal. If anyone has a problem with that then that's just too bad.

If schools need more money, how come a stay at home Mom can educate her kids via Home schooling with almost no budget at all?

Yeah, but her football team sucks, and they've only got one cheerleader.

And the boosters are getting disgruntled.

The natives are restless.

"whats all this BS about liberal and conservative no one is just one thing
    for instance when it comes to crime i'm conservative ...when it comes to prostitution i'm liberal" -chris rock
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

If schools need more money, how come a stay at home Mom can educate her kids via Home schooling with almost no budget at all?
    See my post.

The money for the schools isn't going to the schools, and even when it gets there they do stupid stuff with it. They need class rooms, books, and well paid teachers that's it.

The stay at home mom doesn't have 40 students per class.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    The money for the schools isn't going to the schools, and even when it gets there they do stupid stuff with it. They need class rooms, books, and well paid teachers that's it.
    I've never understood how throwing money at the educational system is going to magically improve it.

They need Class rooms? Really? What's wrong with the ones we have?

Books? I've never heard of a school system in the US that did not have books for students.

Pay the teachers more? And that's going to magically increase their skills.

We need to concentrate on what is being taught and take the politics (School prayer, bible study, other conservative distractions) out of the classroom.

Things I would spend money on:

Teachers assistants, Let's get someone in the classroom to help these teachers

Classes for parents on how you can improve your child's preformance

More Special Ed classes....Let's face it...There are kids out there so dumb they are never going to pass regular school....it's time we quit just passing these kids through the system and paid attention to their needs.

Here is what happens in the land of nuts and bigger nuts when liberal progressives get there hands on kids in a school setting. BTW, this is Boulderdawg's neck of the woods, which as I believe Becca pointed out before, one of the most far left liberal cities in America.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_5904322

Nice, telling kids to have sex and drugs, and here this guy is complaining about optional bible study in schools or prayer as a distraction. Get a grip dude. You should listen to the audio clip on this panel, this guy is a smuck, and whoever brought these people in should be fired.

whats wrong with sex ?
    not everyone believes in abstinence
    if u do thats your choice and its not your right to force it on other ppl
    as long as its safe sex then thats fine

drugs are bad m'kay sos drink but kids are gonna do it anyway so why not educate them ?

bible study in school is bad unless ur gonna introduce dhammapada quoran and torah study aswell

prayer in school and the "under god" thing is also notgood

(btw under god and in god we trust were added in the 50s's to rally ppl against the atheist communist "enemy")
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

whats wrong with sex ?
    Nothing but try and stay on context with where the panel was.

if u do thats your choice and its not your right to force it on other ppl
    as long as its safe sex then thats fine
    Wrong again buckey. No public school should have a mandatory, sneak up on you, panel for kids telling them they should take drugs, masturbate and have sex because there going to anyway.

Totally undermines what morals and goals the parent is trying to set.

bible study in school is bad unless ur gonna introduce dhammapada quoran and torah study aswell
    Any school that does have bible study, there are not many, makes it a after school optional get together, which I see nothing wrong with, for that matter with any religon.