Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick fighting in China

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    wow, you're totally awesome at pulling what you want to hear from a post.

i don't have any 'advanced' students really, my most senior adult student has just been with me two years.

and I didn't say that I did or that they utilized anything different from newbies...hopefully, they use the same stuff, just slightly better.

i tell my students in the beginning that all the tools they need to become as good a fighter as they have the heart to be are available to them in the first few months. they just have to want to endure the conditioning needed to be a good fighter and be willing to get hit hard by someone within 10-15 pounds of their own weight.

the rest is icing on the cake and if they can add one 'extra' thing to their toolbox every couple of months, then they are doing well.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    wow, you're totally awesome at pulling what you want to hear from a post.

i don't have any 'advanced' students really, my most senior adult student has just been with me two years.

and I didn't say that I did or that they utilized anything different from newbies...hopefully, they use the same stuff, just slightly better.
    Or in other words, most all of your students will just do basic punching and kicking. Of course, that doesn't prove the argument, because it will be a rare student who goes beyond 2 years with you anyway.

lol...ok...

but, yea, I agree, it will be the rare student who does more than two years with me...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

wu su/wu shou is about fighting. the origins of all things martial are rooted in the need to survive the next attack from the guys in the next valley who want your pigs. (been watching that Travel Channel thing about the dudes who lived with the Kombai tribe in Papua )

the sad truth of CMA (and most other post 19th century affectations of older martial training) is that there has been too much government influence, too much ego and too much showmanship without a real need to use what you train 'fo realz' (ok, it's getting late here on the east coast and i've been going since before 8...and I'm getting silly).

imho, mma is getting back to the roots and if CMA is going to survive as anything other than a type of pop-voodoo thing, we need to get back to our roots as well and eschew the panopoly of stage decoration that has embalmed what we do in a false sense of reality.

train and fight with the basics or you won't learn how to fight. over time, you can add a trick or two from the 'advanced' material and like Cung Le, pop a surprise scissors take down every once in a while (although, for the life of me, i don't see how people fall for it.)

done here, it's almost 12 and I have to be up in 7 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    train and fight with the basics or you won't learn how to fight. over time, you can add a trick or two from the 'advanced' material and like Cung Le, pop a surprise scissors take down every once in a while (although, for the life of me, i don't see how people fall for it.)

done here, it's almost 12 and I have to be up in 7 hours.
    See, guess I wouldn't consider punching and kicking the basics in a style like Northern Mantis. I mean why bother doing the form if you're not going to use any of the techniques in it?

Anyhoo ... whatever. Forgeddabouddit ... I think the mistake I keep making by posting on here is thinking that a) anybody's going to take it seriously b) anybody's going to consider it and and c) anybody's going to care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    See, guess I wouldn't consider punching and kicking the basics in a style like Northern Mantis. I mean why bother doing the form if you're not going to use any of the techniques in it?

well, i'd have to say you don't know too much about NPM. you can PM 'K.Brazier' if you like and ask him about the basics of northern mantis.

and FTR, the first throw I teach is found in our forms...as is the second.

but, **** those Japs...it's also in judo...

Anyhoo ... whatever. Forgeddabouddit ... I think the mistake I keep making by posting on here is thinking that a) anybody's going to take it seriously b) anybody's going to consider it and and c) anybody's going to care about it.
    so, why did you delete 2 posts?

and, it's not necessarily what you say...but how you say it.

cheers.

BTW, i feel I need to dedicate my posts tonight to Ap. don't ask me why, he just popped in to my head while typing...and actually, so did Eric Ishii...

... I think the mistake I keep making by posting on here is thinking that a) anybody's going to take it seriously b) anybody's going to consider it and and c) anybody's going to care about it.
    Ya think.....?

Anyhoo ... whatever. Forgeddabouddit ... I think the mistake I keep making by posting on here .

You keep saying stuff like this but you don't go the f away.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You keep saying stuff like this but you don't go the f away.
    Yah, I must be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Ya think.....?
    Somebody as funny looking as you shouldn't have such a high opinion of himself.

During an encounter between roughly equal skilled people then only the basics will come out. It is only when you have superiority on one side that you get more elaborate techniques coming out.