Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Martial Arts Union

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    MK,

No one has a gun to your head making you recite the Pledge of Allegiance and you can spend the 6 weeks of holiday vacation however you choose -- there is no requirement that you have to observe God.
    while that is true, people aren't stupid. it's CHRISTMAS break. EASTER break, etc. Even if you do choose not to observe God, you still know what the holiday was intended for, just as we know what the moment of silence in public schools was intended for. KKK members with jobs (certain jobs, anyway) are still off on Dr. martin luther king jr.'s birthday, whether they choose to reflect on his life or not.

Still, history bears out the fact that much of America's culture/tradition is steeped in Judeo-Christian ideals -- it's part of our past, like it or not.
    just as paganism has its place within the history christianity, like it or not.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

SevenStar -- not sure if we are in agreement or not -- I guess I was just trying to say, why not just be happy/grateful if you are lucky enough to get a paid holiday off, regardless of the reason behind it?

I understand the efforts being made to make the world politically correct, so that noone is ever excluded, offended, or discriminated against for their religion, sexual preference, race, weight, height, etc. and while it's a lofty ideal, I'm more of a realist in that I don't think life will *ever* be fair and there is no way to satisfy everyone.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    MK,

No one has a gun to your head making you recite the Pledge of Allegiance and you can spend the 6 weeks of holiday vacation however you choose -- there is no requirement that you have to observe God. I don't know about you, maybe I'm just lazy/selfish, but if my company want to pay me for sitting at home, then I'm all for it!
    Li Kao makes a good point. Maybe instead of getting rid of religious days off, we should instead honor more religions.

So we could, for example, take Ramadan off ... the BaHai faith has a similar period in the spring, I think. We could take off the Jewish holidays, such as Yom Kippur, Pesach, etc, ... there are some Hindu days off like Diwali and Holi that we could take as well....

So add to that the Christian sabbath, which is on Sunday with Jewish Sabbath on Friday evening/Saturday, and make those mandatory days off.

That would be a good start, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Li Kao makes a good point. Maybe instead of getting rid of religious days off, we should instead honor more religions.

So we could, for example, take Ramadan off ... the BaHai faith has a similar period in the spring, I think. We could take off the Jewish holidays, such as Yom Kippur, Pesach, etc, ... there are some Hindu days off like Diwali and Holi that we could take as well....

So add to that the Christian sabbath, which is on Sunday with Jewish Sabbath on Friday evening/Saturday, and make those mandatory days off.

That would be a good start, don't you think?
    Word.

sdadasdas
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

"just as paganism has its place within the history christianity, like it or not."

I actually do like this subject. I've been to Europe many summers and was always intrigued by the weird symbolism that seems to adorn many old cathedrals. Carvings of weird faces, skulls, naked people, etc. Things you wouldn't expect. Apparently workers were sometimes pagan and were given license to incorporate whatever symbolism they wanted into the Churches they were building......or so I was told. Some Cathedrals are architecturally amazing. Just another of many subjects I would delve deeper into If I had more time off from work.

It would be great if companies were forced to acknowledge other religious holidays by law. But we'd probably get screwed elsewhere. We're a country of forced workaholics much to our detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    while that is true, people aren't stupid. it's CHRISTMAS break. EASTER break, etc. Even if you do choose not to observe God, you still know what the holiday was intended for, .....

just as paganism has its place within the history christianity, like it or not.
    "VERNAL EQUINOX March 20 / 21:
    The celebration of the Vernal (Spring) Equinox. Day & Night are equal length. It is a time for planting and celebrating the first signs of fertility and rebirth. Symbols of Ostara like eggs, chicks, and rabbits have been adopted by Christians in their Easter holiday. The word, Easter is from the goddess Eostra, Ishtar or Astarte. "

Lazy posting I know but I thought this summed it up well. Chrisianity has a habit of smothering other celebrations/events/ceremonies with it's own.

This is often seen as a way of killing off older religions and is quite offensive whilst funny at the same time. We can't convert you so we'll just pretend you're joining in....

Quote Originally Posted by laugarkuen View Post
    "VERNAL EQUINOX March 20 / 21:
    The celebration of the Vernal (Spring) Equinox. Day & Night are equal length. It is a time for planting and celebrating the first signs of fertility and rebirth. Symbols of Ostara like eggs, chicks, and rabbits have been adopted by Christians in their Easter holiday. The word, Easter is from the goddess Eostra, Ishtar or Astarte. "

Lazy posting I know but I thought this summed it up well. Chrisianity has a habit of smothering other celebrations/events/ceremonies with it's own.

This is often seen as a way of killing off older religions and is quite offensive whilst funny at the same time. We can't convert you so we'll just pretend you're joining in....
    Yeah, or how about All Hallows Eve / All Saints Day / All Souls Day ...

People think that Microsoft invented embrace/extend/exterminate but Christians were doing it long ago.

well they only got that from ancient empires. Greece, Rome, Persia, China. they just filled the void afterwards.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Then there is the whole christmas tree thing. Which is yet another pagan tradition. OK, pagan may be the wrong word as that ties it just to paganism when there were alot of ancient religions that brought the forest into the home at midwinter or other times.

From Jdk

To All,

I have been doing some thinking...and I guess in my enthusiasm I came on
    much too strong with my personal beliefs. I don’t have all the answers and AM
    still in search of Truth....I have so much to learn, like all of us.

Please forgive.

I want to talk Martial Arts from now on...so I will restrict my posts
    To that Subject. Anything else...feel free to send me a Private Message

Again...sorry to have stirred up so much hostility and controversy...that was
    never my intention

JDK
    Eliom12@sbcglobal.net
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

Jkd

Finally the penny dropped....well done

Apology accepted and look forward to discussing CMA with you in the future
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    1. I can't buy liquor on Sundays or holidays because you think no one should be allowed to drink on your God's rest day
    MK, where are you located?

I thought Georgia was the only state with this ridiculous law?

Quote Originally Posted by Dim Wit Mak View Post
    This coutry has always been about freedom of religion and not freedom from religion. What does this forum have to do with "state" even if "separation of church and state" were an issue?

Also, for those who might be offended about Jesus' quote concerning the fate of hypocrits, please inform me of any sane and rational religious founder that winked at hypocrisy.
    Ephesians 6:2 " Honor thy father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise."

Matthew 8:22" And another of his disciples said to him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. But Jesus said to him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead."

(That's Jesus winking at hypocrisy......)

Forgiven. It's so easy to come on strong about something you have a passion for.

It's much harder to apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    [B]To All,

I have been doing some thinking...and I guess in my enthusiasm I came on
    much too strong with my personal beliefs. I don’t have all the answers and AM
    still in search of Truth....I have so much to learn, like all of us.

Please forgive.
    No worries. Everybody was just as hard on Juna, and they're just as hard on kung fu cults, so don't feel bad.