Thread: A young Yu Hai performs his mantis form

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Depends on how broad a range of styles the division is. Judges in a "northern kungfu" or just "soft style" division (if in one of those open karate tournaments), aren't going to know whether every form is a traditional form and a good judge is going to base their scores on the quality of the person doing the form rather than the choreography of the form itself. If a guy has better power, intent, speed, stance work, transitions, etc. than another person then it shouldn't matter whether the form is 10 or 100 years old. The modern mantis form is a heck of a lot less flashy than many other forms out there. Less jumping around than some traditional styles.

If there's a modern wushu division that allows non chang quan/nan quan forms, or if it's a traditional mantis only division then of course it's a different story since it's a specific modern wushu competition form. Though, it's hard to get upset when the average Wah Lum competition form I've seen had more non traditional flash added in than Yui Hai's form. Same goes for a number of other traditionalists out there.

i read the other replies on the page. if anyone knows the reputation of the baltimore tournament back in teh day. it was bigger then tjl and sometimes funner. dont be mad, just train harder. the person may be way better. like i said i need to find some clips of it performed. once i do get one i will post it up. all i can find is clips of this mantis form performed flashy,m so i can see where you guys are coming from.

i love traditional mantis. i was watching the 7* guys in awe at tjl. im not trying to put down mantis style at all. eagle claw and mantis share some same grabs and such. i think this is what i was coming off as., and i dont want too. one day i want to learn some traditional 7*.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 12-11-2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.