Thread: Anyone ever go see a podiatrist?

Anyone ever go see a podiatrist?

I've been experiencing heel pain for a while now and with my recent ankle sprain, things have gotten worse. So I'm off to see a podiatist today. Anyone out there ever do this? What should I expect? Did the treatment, what ever it was, work for you?

Thanks.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I have not, but a friend of mine has. Years ago, when we trained CMA, he had heel pain all the time. When we left cma to go back to mma, his pain continued. he was starting to have some back pain as well. He got examined and was diagnosed with plantar fascitis(sp?). He is getting treated, but has not really improved - and it's been about 3 years since his diagnosis. Chances are, he will not improve. He's since stopped training at the doc's suggestion.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

was born club footed, and had my foot broken as a baby so i could walk normal.

a few years ago i went to a podiatrist to get some help with my condition- maybe a shoe insert or something.

they crafted the most outrageously expensive and useless shoe insert i've ever seen. the thing actually made my legs worse, it cut up my feet, and cost almost 300.

after that i don't mind being somewhat gimpy, but please no more podiatrists.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Well that's all bad news. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the input though guys. I'll let you know what happens after my appt.

Just got back from the Podiatrist.

The news is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

First, he says that my plantar fascittis appears to be clearing up. He was poking my foot and said that if it was really bad that I would be jumping out of his chair by now.

So that's good news.

Then he said that the ankle sprain probably just agrevated everything and that should get better. He checked out all of the joints and they all appear to be functioning properly.

So that's good news.

Then he said that I have unusually flexible ankles that might be prone to sprains. He also asked if I have a high threshold for pain.

That's not good.

He said that he could set me up with some orthotics but he didn't think that I needed it right now.

So that's good.

He gave me a small ace bandage like ankle brace to stabilize my ankle. He said try this out for a few weeks and see what happens.

So that's it.

I'm going to try going for another run next weekend and see how that goes. I'd like to get up to 2 runs a week and then hopefully three runs a week by spring. But I'll just start with the one run next weekend.

plantar

I had plantar surgery,try to avoid this if possible. throbbing pain for long time. I trained through it , it was hell.

Quote Originally Posted by racerX View Post
    I had plantar surgery,try to avoid this if possible. throbbing pain for long time. I trained through it , it was hell.
    D@mn, that sounds like it sucked. Thanks for the input though. I'm trying to stay healthy.