Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    And somehow you know that breaking someone's fingers "Won't" stop someone? Maybe you have broken someone's finger in a fight and it didn't stop them?
    Coming from a grappling and stick fighting background, I've seen many fingers broken in matches, as well as had mine broken a couple of times. Most of the times it had no effect. I saw a referee stop a match once and make a guy tape his fingers together because one was pointing in the wrong direction.

Breaking fingers rarely stops a motivated fighter.

Of course, we come from different backgrounds, so we most likely have different perspectives. I have spent my life in combative systems that are rough and tumble and full force. You have spent yours in kung fu.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-20-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Or maybe Ross's expectations of what makes tough, motivated fighters is higher than yours.
    I have tough motivated fighters, And I have men and women that aren't fighters but are fighting fit what's the point.

I'm not going to get into Buiss. lecture but when it comes to weirdos walking into your school it's because that's the image that youre putting out there.

My school is a service that I provide for my clients that all have different goals. Anyway how many schools do you have???

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    When I used bouncer years ago I asked some one to stop being loud so he proceeded with the old finger poke to the chest, while he was busy poking my chest and saying " what are you going to do about it" I grabed his finger and snapped it. Well he shreeked like a ***** and fell to the floor, I guess it was just a fluke but the fight was over in a second
    No fluke... he was probably a kung fu guy.

Coming from a grappling background, I've seen many fingers broken in matches, as well as had mine broken a couple of times. Most of the times it had no effect. I saw a referee stop a match once and make a guy tape his fingers together because one was pointing in the wrong direction.

Of course, we come from different backgrounds, so we most likely have different perspectives. I have spent my life in combative systems that are rough and tumble and full force. You have spent yours in kung fu.
    And I've basically agreed with you. In some situations the guy will continue to fight, just like you have stated above, but does that mean that is always the case? You have to use the technique in the right timing. Of course when the adrenaline is pumping the pain thresold is higher, but if pain infliction doesn't work ever then how the heck do you get anyone to tap, beside the choke. It's all a part of the whole.

And I will agree that we are from different backgrounds, and that you have much more realistic experience than I, that still doesn't mean that common sense has no place. Breaking a bone in someone's hand is more advantage to you over your opponent, simple logic man. I never said sjm or flesh grabbing is the be all end all, just a tactic used at the right time & place, a helping action. If it ends it then even better, if not continue on.

James

Coming from a grappling and stick fighting background, I've seen many fingers broken in matches, as well as had mine broken a couple of times. Most of the times it had no effect. I saw a referee stop a match once and make a guy tape his fingers together because one was pointing in the wrong direction.

There is a difference between accidently geting a finger broken by a stick and having someone bend your finger back. Have you ever herd of the Jiu jits master Wally Jay, his entire system is based on finger controls. Say what you want but Bruce lee thought he stuff was good.

I have tough motivated fighters, And I have men and women that aren't fighters but are fighting fit what's the point.

I'm not going to get into Buiss. lecture but when it comes to weirdos walking into your school it's because that's the image that youre putting out there.
    I'll let Dave comment on this one since he is in your area and probably knows about whether your school is legit or not.

Hopefully, it's nothing like those stupid looking forms on your website.

My school is a service that I provide for my clients that all have different goals. Anyway how many schools do you have???
    My business is not martial arts. I prefer not to corrupt my combatives with servicing the market.

No fluke... he was probably a kung fu guy.
    No he was a swarthy 6 ft 250 pound Mamaluke.

There is a difference between accidently geting a finger broken by a stick and having someone bend your finger back.
    Exactly... getting it broken by a stick hurts a he11 of a lot more than having it broken by someone grabbing it and bending it. Oftentimes when it happens with the stick, it also comes with a nasty gash. Not to mention how much easier it is to counter the finger grab.

Have you ever herd of the Jiu jits master Wally Jay, his entire system is based on finger controls.
    Thanks for supporting my argument.

Do you know how many "finger breaking" guys used to come into the Torrance Gracie school and try to pull off their stupid techniques? I can personally count over 10 times going against guys who tried that cr@p. Usually, all it got them was just choked a little longer than normal.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-20-2006 at 07:15 PM.

I'll let Dave comment on this one since he is in your area and probably knows about whether your school is legit or not.

My business is not martial arts. I prefer not to corrupt my combatives with servicing the market.
    Just a reminder Dave is my training brother and we have pretty much the same back round.

As far as weirdos that were comming into his school that was just a matter of demographics. He teaches in Manhatted and one out of two people are weird.

This is one point that I will agree with.. your business is not Martial arts , that explains why you haven't got a clue
    Last edited by Green Cloud; 10-20-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: zcs

Man, I don't get you. It's very obvious that you don't like the CMA but you continue to populate the forum here, dissin everything said and most everyone participating, like we're all a bunch of pu$$y's at a slumber party.

Why even waste your time here if that is what you believe. If your tryin to educate us, I welcome the advice as I'm always interested in learning from someone else. And I am sure that there is lots you can teach me, but to show the disrespect all the time, WOW. I may not agree with everything you preach either but I still try to respect you for your views.

Weird..

J

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Of course when the adrenaline is pumping the pain thresold is higher, but if pain infliction doesn't work ever then how the heck do you get anyone to tap, beside the choke.
    You are saying that MMA types don't know about the reality of the street, yet you ask a question like that.

There is no tapping on the street. There are no "submissions". There are only breaks.

Exactly... getting it broken by a stick hurts a he11 of a lot more than having it broken by someone grabbing it and bending it. Oftentimes when it happens with the stick, it also comes with a nasty gash. Not to mention how much easier it is to counter the finger grab.

See I don't agree I have had my fingers broke from stick fighting many time but bend my finger backwars and I'm going to the ground. And the stupidity of continuing such a practice only ends up with bad artritis later on.

Do you know how many "finger breaking" guys used to come into the Torrance Gracie school and try to pull off their stupid techniques? I can personally count over 10 times going against guys who tried that cr@p. Usually, all it got them was just choked a little longer than normal.
    You mean like what Gracie Did to mat Hues

I would tend to think that the breaks would be different as one is achieved by a object hitting it (more of a smashing of the bone) vs. someone actually bending it unnaturally (twisting of the tendons and such), but what do I know eh..

That right there is the problem, if that is all the finger breaking guys got, then no kidden.

J

Just a reminder Dave is my training brother and we have pretty much the same back round.
    As a trainer of fighters, I would be interested to have his take on those dumba$$ looking forms on your site.

I would also be interested in his take on how you train your guys compared to his training.

As far as weirdos that were comming into his school that was just a matter of demographics. He teaches in Manhatted and one out of two people are weird.
    Get your story straight.

What is it?

Is it demographics?

...or is it him projecting the wrong image, which is what you stated in the first place.

This is one point that I will agree with.. your business is not Martial arts , that explains why you haven't got a clue
    Thanks for making point #672 about why so much kung fu is ineffective.
    Kung fu guys think that just because someone with a "kung fu school" teaches them techniques, it has something to do with fighting.

See I don't agree I have had my fingers broke from stick fighting many time but bend my finger backwars and I'm going to the ground. And the stupidity of continuing such a practice only ends up with bad artritis later on.

See I don't agree, I have had my fingers broken from stick fighting many time but bend my fingers backwards and I'm going to the ground that's because now your also dealing with tendon damage. The stupidity of continuing such a practice will contribute to bad arthritis later on.

As far as the gracies are concerned your no Gracie and speaking of Gracie he didn't tap out when mat dislocated his elbow but he still lost and still went to the hospital
    Last edited by Green Cloud; 10-20-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: zxzc