It is outdated but I find the pole tactics one of the best ways to expalin the system to beginers. The focus of all our efforts to a point that will knock someone down or ....., combining leg, torso and arms all in timing of 1 while using the staff/forearms to divert /maintain a defensive line as we attack. The ballistic short force of the parries to 'knock' any weapon/arm offline for the fraction we need to maintain the target and strike....taken to the pak, bong, jum, tan,vu et al...and it all becomes clear whats pointing the way...weapons. and the linsildida of the system.
the knives are outdated to some degree but again are the guiding beacon to the whole 'way' without knowing the tactics one usually suffers the 'facing a bucket of water' syndrome of thinking " I fight like I do chisao " ....imagine someone attacking you with 2 knives and 2 legs where do want to be to maximize your offense ...? and minimize the possibility of death...? there are 2 ways to move 1 using empty hands which is as the myjong and the wider as the knives to allow for the distance of an edged weapon in your hands... sounds like 2 but its 1 way ....teachers often focusing on 1 part of the system rather than the whole ...but thats my opinion anyway